Headers - Another Boyd thread (sorry)

As you probably know i am not a great Boyd fan. I will say though as long as he is influencing our games in a winning form be it scoring or not, he should keep his place in the team. Has Velicka dropped off the planet?

id actually forgotton about him!

Has Velicka dropped off the planet?

It does seem like he's way down the pecking order. We've got a large squad ATM and because of our lack of European football this season, a few of the squad players are really going to struggle to get a game. It's early days yet though, so I wouldn't read to much into it.

As many have said, Miller was by far the most effective of the front two yesterday (as he has been in most of the games he 's played this season to be fair).

As for Boyd's arial powers (or lack off), someone on our RSC said that he shrinks by at least a foot when he tries to jump! The guy also set a decent question : when was the last time Boyd scored with a header? I can't remember and neither could anyone on our RSC bus....?

Cammy F

I don't know how craig because he's not been given much of a chance in that role. He would need to be given a really good run out in that role before I could agree with you.

Neither has Broadfoot so maybe he's the best choice - and how can you disagree???

Boyd was close to scoring with a header on Sunday, just past the post when he got up well to a rare decent cross. He also won the majority of headers for flick ons that I remeber. If there are no decent balls put in the box how can he score with his head?

His other play was pretty poor though and apart from his turn which hit the post (even though it wouldn't have counted it was still a good turn and shot) he didn't offer much else and Miller was by far more effective and deserved a goal and should have had one but for a poor finish when right through.

Boyd also seemed to have his slippers on (as Frankie put it at the game) :D as he was slipping all over the place.

Surely Mendes will soon learn never to play a ball too far in front of Boyd and expect him to get it :rolleyes:

Guest FollowThe People
As many have said, Miller was by far the most effective of the front two yesterday (as he has been in most of the games he 's played this season to be fair).

As for Boyd's arial powers (or lack off), someone on our RSC said that he shrinks by at least a foot when he tries to jump! The guy also set a decent question : when was the last time Boyd scored with a header? I can't remember and neither could anyone on our RSC bus....?

Cammy F

Kenny Miller has been a revelation for me, I expected him to be crap, all energy and no finesse.

The one thing I would criticise him for is, he is obsessed with setting up Kris(Create 10 chances for me and I'll bury one, especially if it's a penalty, that's if I can get off my arse) Boyd.

He was right through against Killie and looked for Boyd instead of pulling the trigger , and twice against Motherwell when in good shooting positions, again looked to set up Boyd, needless to say all three chances were passed up.

I hope it's not a tactic Walter has planted in his brain, we played this system before with Negri when every ball had to be played to him to score our goals, the difference with him was if we created six he would bury five, but it still wasn't attractive to watch us dominate territorially and possession only for us to be obsessed with finding a nominated finisher at the end of our moves.

My advice to Miller would be, forget Boyd when you're in scoring positions.

For all the hype proclaiming him to be a deadly finisher and finishing being your weakness, I'd still put my trust in you to finish before him.

Boyd stops more Rangers attacks than any opposition defender could dream of.

IMO, of course.

Kenny Miller has been a revelation for me, I expected him to be crap, all energy and no finesse.

The one thing I would criticise him for is, he is obsessed with setting up Kris(Create 10 chances for me and I'll bury one, especially if it's a penalty, that's if I can get off my arse) Boyd.

He was right through against Killie and looked for Boyd instead of pulling the trigger , and twice against Motherwell when in good shooting positions, again looked to set up Boyd, needless to say all three chances were passed up.

I hope it's not a tactic Walter has planted in his brain, we played this system before with Negri when every ball had to be played to him to score our goals, the difference with him was if we created six he would bury five, but it still wasn't attractive to watch us dominate territorially and possession only for us to be obsessed with finding a nominated finisher at the end of our moves.

My advice to Miller would be, forget Boyd when you're in scoring positions.

For all the hype proclaiming him to be a deadly finisher and finishing being your weakness, I'd still put my trust in you to finish before him.

Boyd stops more Rangers attacks than any opposition defender could dream of.

IMO, of course.

I'm not slagging miller off here but I think when he was right through on goal and it nearly went for a shy sums him up for me. Gets into great positions but IMO his finishing is nowhere near Boyds standard and I think the stats prove that. If you are a striker and confident even if the manager said set up Boyd more than going for it yourself (which I doubt he would say) I'm sure you would shoot more than set someone else up if you are in a great position. He is good at bringing others into play and setting them up, you have to wonder why he is doing that all the time.