By Andrew Dickson

ALLAN McGREGOR has retained his place in the Scotland squad despite his omission from the starting line-up at Rangers.

After the 26-year-old sat out the last three Light Blues games, there was speculation his replacement Neil Alexander would take his national team spot too.

Allan McGregor, ScotlandBut McGregor has been selected once more by George Burley for the crucial World Cup qualifier with Norway at Hampden next weekend.

In Scotland's last game at the national stadium, the Gers star made an excellent penalty save from David Healy and that will have stuck in Burley's mind.

McGregor is one of six Ibrox players chosen in the 25-man pool for the meeting with the Scandinavians.

Kirk Broadfoot keeps his place in the group after he capped his excellent international debut against Iceland with a headed goal in the 2-1 victory in Reykjavik three weeks ago.

David Weir has also been called upon and with Celtic's Stephen McManus suspended for this match, he could start in his place.

Kevin Thomson gets another summons while strike duo Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd complete the Gers sextet asked to report for duty.

FULL SQUAD

Goalkeepers:

Craig Gordon (Sunderland)

ALLAN McGREGOR (RANGERS)

David Marshall (Norwich City)

Defenders:

Graham Alexander (Burnley)

Darren Barr (Falkirk)

Christophe Berra (Hearts)Kevin Thomson, Scotland

KIRK BROADFOOT (RANGERS)

Gary Caldwell (Celtic)

Jamie McAllister (Bristol City)

Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United)

DAVID WEIR (RANGERS)

Midfielders:

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Kris Commons (Derby County)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Paul Hartley (Celtic)

Shaun Maloney (Celtic)

James Morrison (WBA)

Barry Robson (Celtic)

KEVIN THOMSON (RANGERS)

Forwards:

KRIS BOYD (RANGERS)

David Clakson (Motherwell)

Steven Fletcher (Hibernian)

Chris Iwelumo (Wolves)

James McFadden (Birmingham City)

KENNY MILLER (RANGERS)

Terrible looking squad. Even the more respected players are mostly off form or injured.

The sense of potential we had only a year or two ago seems to have slipped away.

I'd play Commons before Brown as the latter hasn't done anything in ages.

What is our best team anyway? Could it be:

Gordon

Hutton McManus Weir/Caldwell (for want of someone younger and better) S.Smith (if he recaptures his form)

Fletcher Ferguson Thomson Maloney

McFadden Miller

We could probably do with a Mendes in there.

Terrible looking squad. Even the more respected players are mostly off form or injured.

The sense of potential we had only a year or two ago seems to have slipped away.

I'd play Commons before Brown as the latter hasn't done anything in ages.

What is our best team anyway? Could it be:

Gordon

Hutton McManus Weir/Caldwell (for want of someone younger and better) S.Smith (if he recaptures his form)

Fletcher Ferguson Thomson Maloney

My best wouldn't be far enough away from that, though I'm not sure about Faddy and Miller as a combo - that's why I'd love Boyd and Miller to be given a try out for Gers.