No Rangers conspiracy against SFA, insists Kirk Broadfoot

KIRK BROADFOOT last night laughed off any idea a Rangers conspiracy against the SFA made Kris Boyd quit Scotland.

Boyd's departure came after Lee McCulloch also decided to remove himself from the national scene, an announcement he made following the defeat in Macedonia.

The rumour mill has gone into full production with suggestions the two withdrawals have everything to do with Rangers feeling sore over the way they were given no help with a congested fixture list last season.

Fatigue brought on by the demands of a frantic finish to the title race and the journey to the UEFA Cup Final against Zenit St Petersburg eventually took its toll and both competitions were lost.

But Broadfoot won't have any conspiracy theories about pay-back time. He travels to and from Ayrshire with Boyd every day and shared a room with him when they were on international duty.

He knows his Rangers team-mate inside out and can dismiss Boyd being part of a deliberate plan to subvert the SFA.

Broadfoot can also dismiss out of hand any suggestion that he could one day be a Rangers refusenik after he was called a "player of limited ability" by George Burley even before he had made his full international debut.

He said: "What Kris did at the weekend was a personal decision and I back him as friend. But it's rubbish to say there's a Rangers conspiracy against the SFA.

"Lee came to his decision and by the time the next competitive international against Holland comes around in March I hope to be in the squad along with several other Rangers players like Barry Ferguson, Davie Weir, Kevin Thomson and whoever else.

"I don't think what Kris did after the game with Norway was spur of the moment stuff. I think it had been on his mind for a while.

"No player wants to sit in the stand watching games. Kris showed how much he cared by doing what he did after the Norway game. You're in the wrong business if you're happy being on the bench.

"He was in the middle of a difficult situation and I felt for Kris as a friend.

Barry's come out since the weekend and offered his moral support to Boydie. I'm doing the same thing.

"I'm glad the SFA have taken the decision to leave the door open for him to one day make a return to the national team because he's a top class striker.

"From a Rangers point of view I can only hope that Kris having extra time to concentrate on club football helps us win the league."

Broadfoot made his international debut in the group game against Iceland but only after his celebratory bubble had been burst by Burley describing him as a "player of limited ability."

The phrase is likely to live with the defender for as long as the memory of his horrific miss in front of an open goal against Norway will torment Chris Iwelumo.

But the certainty is that, no matter how many times he hears the phrase repeated, Broadfoot won't suffer a crisis of confidence.

They said Broadfoot wasn't Rangers class when Walter Smith signed him from St Mirren. They said he wasn't international class when Burley introduced him in an emergency created by injury.

Broadfoot didn't listen then, and he certainly isn't listening now.

He said: "You have to be mentally tough to be at a club like Rangers. I don't pride myself on mental strength, it's just something I've always possessed.

"It hurt when I picked up national newspapers and read what had been said about me by the manager.

And it's fair to say I've turned the phrase over in my mind on more than one occasion since. But I now consider the words limited ability to be a back-handed compliment.

"Anybody can write, or say, what they like about me. I had confidence in my ability before that controversy started, and I still have the same confidence in my ability. So far as I'm concerned it's an honour to play for my country. I have no problem with George Burley and he has no problem with me."

Broadfoot revels in his new found international status with a childlike enthusiasm and has the optimism of super-enthusiast where the remainder of the World Cup qualifying group's concerned.

He even managed to find a positive aspect to Saturday's draw with Norway, entitling him to be thought of as intrepid explorer.

Broadfoot said: "On a personal level, I thought it was amazing to walk out on to the pitch at Hampden as a Scotland player for the first time.

"I'm still of the belief that we can qualify for South Africa and I don't rule out the possibility of going on an unbeaten run between now and the end of our qualifying group."

Hadnt heard of this conspiracy theory before but how ridiculous is this!?

Liking Broadfoot more and more and glad he has the belief in himself and continues to prove his doubters wrong.

Hadnt heard of this conspiracy theory before but how ridiculous is this!?

Liking Broadfoot more and more and glad he has the belief in himself and continues to prove his doubters wrong.

I think it was probably Gribz that started it.;)

Bye the way where is Gribz? Has he been kidnapped by a ladyboy?

Personally, I would like to see all Rangers players retire from international duty, but thats just because I have no interest in international football (even refused free tickets for the U16's game at Broadwood tonight!).

However, I respect any player who wants to represent their country but wouldn't slate any player who gave up playing for their country, for what ever reason.

Cammy F

Personally, I would like to see all Rangers players retire from international duty, but thats just because I have no interest in international football (even refused free tickets for the U16's game at Broadwood tonight!).

However, I respect any player who wants to represent their country but wouldn't slate any player who gave up playing for their country, for what ever reason.

Cammy F

That says it for me. International football has become a pointless farce.