Ferguson set for Rangers return

Barry Ferguson is set to make his return for Rangers on Tuesday in a reserve match against St Mirren.

The Ibrox captain has been out of action since undergoing ankle surgery in July, but could lead out the first team against Hamilton next week.

"Ferguson is getting close now," said Rangers manager Walter Smith on the club website.

"He will have a full week's training and, all going well, he will play in the reserve game on Tuesday."

Steven Whittaker, who has not played since the opening day of the season due to a knee problem, is nearing full match fitness, while Lee McCulloch is also being considered for Tuesday's game.

Barry coming back gives us more options. Some people might think it gives us problems in terms of who to leave out but we see it as a positive

Smith said he was keen to see the club captain back in his side, but admitted that Ferguson's return could end up giving him a selection headache.

"The physios are working very hard with him and they have been stepping up his training and I hope that next week will be the start of the comeback for him," said Smith.

"Barry coming back gives us more options. Some people might think it gives us problems in terms of who to leave out but we see it as a positive.

"We obviously have an idea of how the team is going to play, and once Barry comes back, it will give us an opportunity of working within that and see where we go from there."

"For a number of our players, the problems they have encountered this season are a throwback to last season given the number of high-profile games they played.

"Quite a few of them have suffered niggling injuries and Lee and Steven Whittaker are two of them.

"We are hopeful that Whittaker will get a full week's training and he might be able to get into reserve action next week."

Putting him in against Hamilton is a mistake i feel. He should play a few reserve games first.

Im looking forward to see what BF we are going to get back TBH. He has had the best part of 6 months out (summer then injury) and surely this can help him put fire back into his game.

Hopefully it also rids him of the injury which has supposedly been the reason for his inconsistancy.

We know he will come straight back into the team so its a MUST he starts playing better on a more regular basis. Everyone knows what he has got in his locker but we just need to see a bit more than the last 2 seasons.

Its harsh on Thomson (if he is to make way) but i like the thought of Ferguson, Mendes, Davis and a natural wide player as a 4 man midfield.

Gribz, I am pretty sure that BF;s injury is a different one to the one he carried last season - was sure I read that somewhere.

BF hasnt played well for a while but he now has a quality player beside him in Mendes - I reckon we could see a very good partnership in there with those two. And with Davis on the right if we could get consistency on the left we have a very solid midfield - a far cry from the last couple of seasons when we had NO midfield.

I'm still unsure whether or not Ferguson and Mendes can play together in central midfield.

IMO, Kevin Thomson needs to play to allow one (or both of the above) to do their thang... Might mean a return to a 3/5 man midfield or even having Mendes play just off the striker in a 4-4-2?

Agree that he should play a few more friendlies before returning to the first team squad.

Think it would be unfair to throw him straight in when he's lacking match practice. He would undoubtedly struggle in the first few games and many are just waiting for him to fail.

St Mirren aside the team are not doing to bad and assuming Thomson is fit for Hamilton I would hold him back to allow him to build up some match sharpness in the reserves.

Gribz, I am pretty sure that BF;s injury is a different one to the one he carried last season - was sure I read that somewhere.

Yeah but given this length of time on the sidelines, surely his other injury has been cleared up?

I'm still unsure whether or not Ferguson and Mendes can play together in central midfield.

IMO, Kevin Thomson needs to play to allow one (or both of the above) to do their thang... Might mean a return to a 3/5 man midfield or even having Mendes play just off the striker in a 4-4-2?

I dont know about this Frankie. I do see what your saying about having Thomson being more a protective player but in matches especially at Ibrox I dont think a defensive midfielder is required. I think having Davis in the team with BF and Mendes would allow them to do their thing.

IF we go back to 5 man midfield then id rather see the old 3-5-2 than 4-5-1 unless we get the 4-5-1 right which has been discussed many a time on here. A 4-5-1 has to have 2 natural players who can get out wide and also switch the system to a 4-3-3.

A 3-5-2 allows Thomson, Ferguson and Mendes as a central trio with Davis/Novo on the right and Beasley/Aaron/Lafferty/Adam on the left. Then you can still have your 2 strikers and dare i say it Boyd would fit in more to this system as you can get away with a poacher with so many other options.

I still think we need to get a partnership upfront sorted out. Id like to see Miller with Lafferty or Velicka but Id also like to see Novo possibly get a run upfront again.

The problem is that at no point do we ever over-run teams at Ibrox.

Indeed at every home league game this season, the opposition have caused problems for us in periods during the game. These problems would have been even worse without Thomson - as we seen against Killie for example when Thommo didn't play.

Teams seem to get through our midfield easily at the best of times so I'd be worried that a central pairing of Ferguson and Mendes would be far too lightweight in that regard.

I do agree Davis helps though but - if we're going with a 4 - that does mean we lose balance and a wide player if he's to be sacrificed for defensive cover.

Have to agree with Frankie regarding Thomson. He could be very sorely missed in midfield, since from a defensive midfield point of view he's been excellent. No messing. Hard tackles. break up opposition play. Full stop.