McCulloch retains midfield hopes

Guest Jum Spence

PS Walcott is now 19. If you want to talk about the odd appearance at a young teenager, Fleck was the youngest player ever to play in the Scottish Cup final.

See, that couple of words, "YOUNGEST EVER" in what, 140 years?

I feel the need to repeat that Rangers a not a wee club where you experiment with untried players all the time, Rangers are about winning and Walter, thankfully, knows this. He may not always get it right but he at least keeps some perspective.

I kinda disagree. Everyone knows Walter has never been into youth and trying them in the first team.

Fleck is the obvious pick as his form has been raved about, yet how many first team apperances as he made this season? Yet the likes of Adam are playing on a regular basis.

From all I have read and heard, I would much rather see Fleck in the team compared to the likes of Adam and McCulloch who IMO have underperformed.

I do think we sometimes forget that WS did play the likes of Hutton, Smith and even Adam from a pretty young age. I would like to see the younger players given more of a chance though.

John Fleck has just turned 17, Charlie Adam is 23. Seems like a big difference to me.

You don't find many teenagers playing regularly for top teams - especially at 17, but 23 year olds are very common.

Furman got a few appearances at 19, but when you see when they played, it was less crucial games.

So the evidence is there that Walter gives teenagers the odd run out. Also the evidence is there that Walter regularly plays players between 21 and 25.

MacGregor, Hutton, Broadfoot, Bougherra, Whitaker, Burke, Davis, Thomson, Adam, Naismith, Boyd, Beasley

As well as signing the likes of Smith, Edu, Webster, Furman, Gow, Aaron, Lafferty and also giving Stevie Smith the odd game when he was fit.

I think the evidence is overwhelmingly against you - unless you don't think 25 and under are "youths" or young.

It's just he doesn't play teenagers very often, which is in common with almost every top manager around. Even Man U's very young title winning team only had one teenager.

WS ignoring youth is a complete myth.

From all I have read and heard, I would much rather see Fleck in the team compared to the likes of Adam and McCulloch who IMO have underperformed.

Then if Fleck has a bad run should we hound him out just like Adam?

I've watched Adam more closely, lately, and while not being fantastic, does not seem to me to be as bad as many make out. He does a lot of decent stuff.

However, I do find ironic that many who want to give certain young players a chance, don't want to give any more chances to this young player.

Don't you think he might improve with a long run in the team????

Not sure Cal. To be honest, Adam seems to be a bit of an enigma to me.

He has without doubt performed in some crucial games and contributed with some ery important goals.

When he isn't playing well everything does seem to be highlighted more than most of the other players. Is this expectation because most know what he is capable of? I don't know.