Murray warns Reid over comments

Guest Jum Spence

Rangers chairman Sir David Murray has urged his Celtic counterpart John Reid to be more careful with his comments.

Reid has condemned a section of the Rangers support for singing the Famine Song this season.

"I'm recently a wee bit concerned by some of the inferences and innuendo that's come from John," said Murray.

The Rangers chairman, who bought the club for �£6m in 1988, was speaking exclusively to the BBC to mark his 20th year in charge of the Ibrox club.

The Famine Song refers to events that killed an estimated one million people in the 1840s and led to a mass migration from Ireland.

During his interview with the BBC, Murray said: "I find it strange that a man could become a member of parliament representing a whole broad church of people from Airdrie and Shotts but then can also be the chairman of a football club and come out with a different slant.

"I suppose he can say that because he knows he doesn't have to be re-elected to be Airdrie & Shotts again. I'm concerned by some of the comments.

"I give the utmost respect to Celtic football club - they've got a great tradition but I am recently a wee bit concerned by some of the inferences and innuendo that's come from John and I think he's got to be careful and realise he's not barracking in the house of commons any longer.

"We are in a society in Scotland where every point and every word is picked up by everybody and he should be very careful with some of the chat."

Murray's portfolio of metals, mining, property and venture capital businesses have made him Scotland's fifth richest man, worth �£650m.

His investment at Rangers helped secure a famous nine-in-a-row championship wins between 1989-1997.

And the club's �£12m training facility, Murray Park, is named after him.

Murray stepped down as chairman at Ibrox in July 2002 but returned to the post in the summer of 2004.

Hardly earth shattering stuff. Actually a feeble response to Reid's comments.

And I don't believe Murray put any money into the club during NIAR, so the comment about his investment is misleading.

Well, John Reid deserves to be condemned much more convincingly for his propaganda efforts, but it wouldn't be wise for SDM to get too heavily involved in personal attacks on Reid. That's for other people to do imo.

Well, John Reid deserves to be condemned much more convincingly for his propaganda efforts, but it wouldn't be wise for SDM to get too heavily involved in personal attacks on Reid. That's for other people to do imo.

Who do you think should be doing it?

Reid as Chairman criticised our support and it should be up to Murray to respond as Chairman. If it's anyone else then it's too lightweight.

I could very well be wring but it looks to me like it is a gentle statement to let Reid know that SDM wont accept it anymore (or ate least people in glass houses....) ..... yes, wishful thinking more than anything !

Who do you think should be doing it?

Reid as Chairman criticised our support and it should be up to Murray to respond as Chairman. If it's anyone else then it's too lightweight.

I think that SDM has to be careful not to make it a personal war between himself & Reid, since politically & in the mhedia Reid seems to have more influence. I think that's precisely why Reid went from government to Celtic Park. The problem that SDM faces isn't quite as simple as it seems because taken at face value John Reid's comments have been about the supposed sectarian songs sung by Rangers fans, but the heart of the matter is much more sinister if you consider that John Reid has actually been directly involved in instigating the renewal & strengthening of the religious divide in Scottish society, something which is undoubtedly politically motivated in the highest order. In John Reid's final year or so in government, he was responsible for similar politically motivated outbursts which stank of the divide & conquer tactic. He deliberately infuriated the British Muslim community with various outbursts that were clearly designed to reinforce the divide & differences between white Brits & the Muslim community. Obviously it's advantageous to the powers that be that were all fighting against one another rather than joining forces & working together to improve our country & lives. Maybe if we're all too busy fighting we won't ask too many questions of our Government & it's actions. In the bigger picture it's probably just another way to aid the dumbing down of society.

I think that Murray can't shy away from it just because it's Reid that is the Chairman. He should be dealing with it in the same way as he would with any Chairman, and if he is unable to that then he should be looking to stand down again.

The issues of upsetting British Muslims and trying to drive a wedge between Scottish Protestants and RCs are two totally different issues, and I fail to see that his comments are aimed at anything other than Rangers and their supporters and I fail to see how the Government had any influence over his comments. 2+2 doesn't always have to equal 17.

The issues of upsetting British Muslims and trying to drive a wedge between Scottish Protestants and RCs are two totally different issues,

On paper they look like totally different issues, but when it comes to John Reid I personally don't think that it's some sort of bizarre coincidence that he was instigating segregation between sections of British society well before he moved to Celtic & has continued to do just that in his post there.

On paper they look like totally different issues, but when it comes to John Reid I personally don't think that it's some sort of bizarre coincidence that he was instigating segregation between sections of British society well before he moved to Celtic & has continued to do just that in his post there.

Lawwell's been doing it for years, and before Reid arrived on the scene, as have many journalists etc. The agenda doesn't change because Reid is suddenly doing it.

Reid was a self-proclaimed "Glasgow ta1g" and had a "repertoire of Irish Republican songs" long before he was Home Secretary.

There is no doubt in my mind that Reid would be doing the same even if he hadn't been Home Secretary.

Edited by Bluedell