Resurgent Naismith close to Rangers return

STEVEN Naismith believes he will soon be ready to force himself into the first-team picture at Rangers.

Naismith, 22, completed his third behind-closed-doors outing since recovering from a serious knee injury which kept him out of action for eight months.

Despite playing in a midfield role, the forward shone in the friendly against St Johnstone onTuesday.

"I'm looking forward to getting fit and getting games and then pushing to get involved in the first team again," Naismith said. "I don't feel any different now compared to before.

"My knee is back to where it was and hopefully it stays that way and I can push on and get some games under my belt." Naismith's rehabilitation from knee surgery began at the tail-end of last season but he revealed his mental anguish over the injury did not reach its peak until the start of the current campaign.

"I didn't realise so much when I first got injured. But now that the games are on again, it's much harder going to watch them," he revealed.

Naismith thanked a number of people for their support during his time on the sidelines but singled out Rangers coach Ian Durrant for particular praise. Former midfielder Durrant knows all about horrific knee injuries after being forced out of the game for almost three years in 1988 following a tackle from Aberdeen's Neil Simpson.

"He's been through the worst of the worst so he was possibly the best person I could talk to. He's been monitoring things through the whole process and made sure I've been all right," said Naismith.

Glad to see him back,he was just starting to show some form when he got injured. I hope he falls right in with the same form as he had before his injury.

Maybe someone told wattie about the AJAX way of doing things, you know, the old total football thing. Getting players to play in several positions, to educate them in all areas of the pitch.

Obviously they forgot to tell him you're supposed to start them when they're eight and not in their twenties. DOH! :brick: