Strong hints Fleck will retain his place

In addition to not being part of the midweek bounce game the official site have run this story.

Fleck Here To Stay

WALTER SMITH has insisted that teenage star John Fleck can be top team starter from now on after a dazzling first start last Saturday.

Smith gave Fleck the nod for the Falkirk game after four substitute appearances and he reckons he has the temperament to play a major role between now and the end of the season.

He insists the talented youngster has the mentality to handle any challenge and the way he is speaking Fleck will keep his place for Pittodrie on Saturday.

He said: "He deserved his chance. He had been playing very well in the games that we have had in the past six to eight weeks and he had been looking very good in training.

"He moved from the Academy side to the first team at the start of the year and being a quiet lad I think it took him a bit of time to settle in to his new surroundings.

"I thought he was excellent on Saturday considering it was his first start and he is only 17. He has good ability and he showed that on Saturday and he also showed he has a good temperament and that will stand him in good stead.

"I think there is a difficulty with some people understanding the situation with youth players at Rangers.

"Jimmy Sinclair and his group have worked extremely hard over the last few years trying to get a group of players together who will be of benefit to us.

"We are now seeing that coming to fruition with a good group around the 17 or 18-year-old age group.

"It would be difficult to play a lot of them at the one time but they will start to get an opportunity.

"Overall we have a good group below the age of 25 which is also good for the future.

"So we have been working hard in the background and that's difficult for some people to see at times.

"So despite all the criticism last week there are some good things going on at Murray Park.

"You always have to be careful how you handle young players and look and see how they cope but his temperament is very good, as I have said, so we won't be afraid of playing him anywhere.

"When you are in charge of a young player and you want to make sure his career continues to rise then you have to gauge the best time for him to play.

"But if you look at the way he played on Saturday there is no reason why he can't be playing on a regular basis."

Only gripe I have is this quote:

I thought he was excellent on Saturday considering it was his first start and he is only 17

I thought his performance was good and did not need to quantify that with a "good for his age" kind of comment.

I agree SA - why not just say 'He played really well'

The old saying springs to mind - If your good enough your old enough. I don't see any reason why he shouldn't at least have a shot at becming a permanent fixture in the side after the impressive outing on Saturday. Put it this way I would rather see Fleck in the team than the likes of Adam/Mcculloch/Beasley etc

he has to start.

walter must now surely realise that we will win hee haw with the likes of Adam and Laugherty in the side.

i pray to god that he does.

Initially I was worried he'd be dropped as we looked for "strength" in the midfield, but the more I here and see this week the more i'm convinced he'll play. Here's hoping Smith agrees with you and the rest of the fans.

Edit: Just seen WTD's response after replying to gisa. The fans are unanimous, so hopefully the management team agree. It's not often the fans are compeltely undivided on an issue.

Initially I was worried he'd be dropped as we looked for "strength" in the midfield, but the more I here and see this week the more i'm convinced he'll play. Here's hoping Smith agrees with you and the rest of the fans.

Edit: Just seen WTD's response after replying to gisa. The fans are unanimous, so hopefully the management team agree. It's not often the fans are compeltely undivided on an issue.

you know Walter though. flys in the face of popular opinion every time. im suprised he still has a nose.

To a man, we were all pleasantly surprised to see Fleck start at the weekend there. The fact that he played so well seems to be viewed by some bears as a stick to beat WS with. I think Walter explained clearly and honestly his reasons for keeping Fleck back until now and you could just as easily say the boy's performance was down to good timing from a managerial perspective.

Let's wait and see Saturday's line up before we start berating one way or the other.

A point that's rarely made COtter. Whilst most assume Fleck could've played like that before now, that is not necessarily true.

I do believe Smith was overly cautions, but we will never now, as we cannot go back i ntime and try the different permutations.

Whatever anyone thinks, the maturity (mental and physical) and the conditioning of the players is hugely important and hence introducing Fleck earlier may have seen him physically or mentally unable to cope with the demands of senior football.