Hampden Park pitch to be relayed

Guest Jum Spence

Why does scotland lag behind in every department in sport? If you look at hampden compared to wembley, millenium stadium and croke park it is a million miles behind. The capacity of our national stadium for a such a big footballing country is a disgrace then you take a look around the stadium and it is very very basic. You check out wembley and the millenium stadium (can't comment on croke park because ive never been) and everything about the place is first class. I just feel that we should have a stadium that we could walk into and look around and go WOW. I dont know know who funds these things but come on if wales can have the millenium surely we could have a state of the art stadium as well.

Yip agree with the lads here. Hampden should have been built with further expansion in mind and should be at least be able to hold 65000.

If Murrayfield can fill 67500 for the rugby then the football could easily be sold out for the big games.

Having 3 govering bodies and 4 divisions is a joke aswell. Decisions and the set up are laughable. The SPL split is a joke aswell where a team finishing 7th can have enough points to qualify for europe but they cant leap the team in 6th!!!

Why does scotland lag behind in every department in sport? If you look at hampden compared to wembley, millenium stadium and croke park it is a million miles behind. The capacity of our national stadium for a such a big footballing country is a disgrace then you take a look around the stadium and it is very very basic. You check out wembley and the millenium stadium (can't comment on croke park because ive never been) and everything about the place is first class. I just feel that we should have a stadium that we could walk into and look around and go WOW. I dont know know who funds these things but come on if wales can have the millenium surely we could have a state of the art stadium as well.

But Hampden received about 20M of Government money compared to 500M for Wembley. The Millenium Stadium was helped by the fact it's shared by Rugby and Football whereas we have two stadia - I'm not sure how much government money they received.

Basically we didn't have the same kind of money and the SFA had squandered money for years and not qualifying for anything hit the coffers badly.

It does seem stupid that a small country like ours should have two intenational stadiums instead of one. Some much larger countries don't even have any - Germany for instance.

PS Denmark, who have a similar population to us and generally a better football team have one national stadium which holds 34,000 and that's in a city of 1.15M population compared to 680,000 in Glasgow. Edinburgh has 480,000 so the combined population is similar but we have a 52,000 and 68,000 stadiums in those two cities.

PS Denmark, who have a similar population to us and generally a better football team have one national stadium which holds 34,000 and that's in a city of 1.15M population compared to 680,000 in Glasgow. Edinburgh has 480,000 so the combined population is similar but we have a 52,000 and 68,000 stadiums in those two cities.

I think if Murrayfield was used as the national stadium we wouldnt have a debate. Its got a fine capacity to host the bigger Scotland games and would allow an extra 15000 in for an OF derby.

But i dont think Denmark has a team who could pull together a crowd like the OF can regardless of Copenhagens population. OF fans come from everywhere in the UK on a weekly basis.

The Hampden project was a joke. Why spend all that money on it, only for it to end up as still the third best stadium in the city?

They could have just binned Hampden and used the cash to upgrade the other 2 stadia and used them alternatively.

I take you mean, "alternately"? Pedantic Loyal...

The one thing you have to give Hampden, it's the longest serving international and cup final stadium in the world. It's a lot of history to throw away. However, as it was once the biggest stadium in the world for 47 consecutive years, it deserved a far, far greater refit.

The trouble was the timing of the rebuild, when there was far less money floating around than a few years ago...