Introducing ââ?¬Ë?Moni Malawiââ?¬â?¢ ââ?¬â?? Creating Awareness for Malawi

Rangers fans are well known for their incredible support of various charities whether it be through the official club charity foundation or many different smaller ventures that have been extremely successful over the years.

To that end, Gersnet are delighted to announce our support for one such charity. ââ?¬Ë?Moni Malawiââ?¬â?¢ is a new charity set up to create awareness of the plight of the African country and to raise money to assist its people. ââ?¬Ë?Moniââ?¬â?¢ means ââ?¬Ë?helloââ?¬â?¢ in Chichewa, the principle language of Malawi. The charity name therefore translates as ââ?¬Ë?Hello Malawiââ?¬â?¢.

Malawi is a landlocked country in southern Africa. With a population of 14 million it is one of the least developed yet most densely populated countries in the world. Per capita GDP is �£450, compared to the UK figure of �£20,000. The country suffers from high infant mortality, low life expectancy, and a high prevalence of HIV/AIDS.

As such a group of like-minded football fans met to decide how they could raise money to fund specific projects in areas of need. In setting up ââ?¬Ë?Moni Malawiââ?¬â?¢ they believe that they can make a real difference to the lives of some of the poorest people in Malawi, and indeed the world. Further information can be found on the website by clicking here.

The range of skills, experience and contacts available to ââ?¬Ë?Moni Malawiââ?¬â?¢ as a group is encouraging and the charity would welcome like minded individuals to join them in achieving their goals. Their Board of Directors have previously been involved in successful fundraising dinners, and as such their forthcoming Dinner and Dance will form a cornerstone of their fundraising later this month. The charity is also committed to individual projects through the course of the year, in addition to other fundraising ideas which will be updated regularly on their website.

The smallest contribution to Malawi can make a big difference and Gersnet would invite you to join us at the Dinner and/or take part in other fundraising activities or sponsorship schemes.

The Dinner and Dance is on Saturday the 28th February at the Thistle Hotel, Glasgow with tickets available at an unbelievable price of just Ã?£60. Suffice to say the entertainment on offer is literally second to none. With speakers such as Ewen and Roughie from Real Radio; SFA Chief Executive Gordon Smith; and the inimitable Bill Copeland, there is something for everyone. Add in an exclusive performance from Sandi Thom (featuring some special guests) followed by dancing the night away with the ââ?¬Ë?Republic of Soulââ?¬â?¢ then every taste is catered for. As well as all the entertainment, there will be a superb 4 course dinner as well as a raffle and auction with some superb prizes!

Tickets can be bought for the event by pm-ing me. We hope to see you all there!

Please note ââ?¬Ë?Moni Malawiââ?¬â?¢ is a registered Scottish charity (SC040141).

dinner%20dance%202009.jpg

Sounds like it will be a great night and a very worthy cause. :thup:

I'm going and I know that there are other Gersnet posters who have already bought tickets.

I've been at a couple of dinners where Bill Copeland has been at and he's hilarious. Roughie is meant to be a great after-dinner speaker as well, but I've never heard him, and I understand Sandi Thom is bringing her band to do a set.

Hope to see as many of you as possible there.

ââ?¬Ë?Moniââ?¬â?¢ means ââ?¬Ë?helloââ?¬â?¢ in Chichewa, the principle language of Malawi. The charity name therefore translates as ââ?¬Ë?Hello Malawiââ?¬â?¢.

So who is going to be first to do the obvious joke? :D