WALTER SMITH admits Rangers might have to play even better than they did the last time they went to Parkhead if they are to win there this weekend.

The Light Blues' 4-2 success against Celtic on their own patch nearly six months ago was their biggest derby victory there in 14 years.

It was one of their best Old Firm performances in recent times too, with their second-half showing in particular drawing praise.

But with Gordon Strachan's team two points clear of Gers in the SPL, Smith realises his men will have to excel again when they return to Glasgow's east end on Sunday.

He also understands how crucial winning could be with regards to the final outcome of the title race - although he wouldn't be too upset with a draw.

Smith said: "It would be a huge result for us if we won. We have managed to win at Celtic Park already this season and they have beaten us at Ibrox.

"It would be nice to back to their place and win again but we will have to turn in a similar performance to the one we gave there in August.

"In fact, we might have to play even better than we did that day and as the season goes on, our head-to-head meetings are becoming more important.

"I don't think a draw would be a bad result for either team this weekend. It would leave us as we are at the present moment.

"With one win each so far and some points lost to other teams, there isn't a lot between the sides."

Celtic are the bookmakers' favourites ahead of the match, despite Rangers being the form team out of the two.Walter Smith

Whatever way you lean, Smith is adamant past form and even performances on the day don't count for much when Scotland's biggest sides collide.

He points to the last two derbies as proof, with the first being fairly close despite the final score and the second ending in a 1-0 Celtic win after Gers had dominated for long spells.

Smith added: "When we were 4-1 up, I wouldn't say it was an indication of how the game had been going.

"It was far tighter than that. We were delighted with the lead we had but the match had been a lot closer than the score suggested.

"In the game at Ibrox, we played as well as we had done in our previous Old Firm games but went on to lose.

"That just shows you need to be careful when you consider what might happen. They're not easy games to make assessments of.

"I'm looking for a performance more than anything else and if we can match how we played in the previous two derbies, I'll be happy as we'll have a chance."

I hope Smith doesn't transfer this attitude to the players. It always so sounds so understated and self-defeating. Aim high Rangers, go and fucking beat this mob.

It's the only way and one day we'll have people at the club who aren't too afraid to have confidence or to display it. Until then we have a clapped out manager who we were fortunate to get rid off once and shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near this club again.

Smith: "There's not much to give away, I think you can have a fair stab at what Rangers will do."

Which means 4-1-4-1 and playing for the draw. Absolutely criminal against such a poor scum outfit. Such a cautious approach could very well cost us the title.