If it stops Ally McCoist being manager, then yes Walter has to continue. I would like to see a newer and fresher approach and have no problems with McCoist being part of that - he just isn't ready to be the manager.

Cammy F

If it stops Ally McCoist being manager, then yes Walter has to continue. I would like to see a newer and fresher approach and have no problems with McCoist being part of that - he just isn't ready to be the manager.

Cammy F

Sadly yes. Ally is a bit like Alan Shearer at N'castle - local hero turned media pundit. I'd rather he went elsewhere to learn his trade first. But - who to replace Walter? I know some will say just get rid of WS first, but we have to think of possible replacements and I cannot think of anyone who is (a) available, (b) would take the job and © has achieved enough success to be a contender like say Dick Advocaat was.

I may draw some obloquy (good word) from some for this, but actually the obvious candidtate at the moment is - Alex McLeish.:)

Sadly yes. Ally is a bit like Alan Shearer at N'castle - local hero turned media pundit. I'd rather he went elsewhere to learn his trade first. But - who to replace Walter? I know some will say just get rid of WS first, but we have to think of possible replacements and I cannot think of anyone who is (a) available, (b) would take the job and © has achieved enough success to be a contender like say Dick Advocaat was.

I may draw some obloquy (good word) from some for this, but actually the obvious candidtate at the moment is - Alex McLeish.:)

Interesting to hear The Goalie on SKY last night claiming that Rangers should never go down the foriegn route again as we've tried that and it has been a failure. DA a failure? I wouldn't have said so.....

Who to replace Walter? IMO there are no obvious candidates at the moment. Would SAF fancy a stint at Rangers after 'retiring' from Man UTD (he still says his only regret is not managing Rangers)? Could we attract someone like David Moyes who has stated that he'd love to manage one of the Old Firm? He's doing a brilliant job at Everton. Other contenders would be what I'd describe as 'flash in the pan managers' - those who've done well for a season or two - Phil Brown at Hull, Gary Megson for the work he's doing at Bolton and has done at West Brom.

The only other candidates would be an up and coming manager from foriegn shores who would be willing to gamble on succeeding at Rangers thus captipulting him to the EPL - this would also be a gamble on our part. I'm thinking of the likes of Michael Laudrup.

I am sure such a forward thinking Custodian as SDM has a dedicated team scouring and scouting the world for both up and coming players as well as our next manager - where's the sarcastic smiley?

Cammy F

Ill not be renewing my season book next year. Ive lost the passion i once had for the game and I put it down to smith tactics.

We have no standards anymore. we have no class. And i dont see us aquiring any under the leadership of Smith or McCoist.

I find myself not really caring anymore if we lose or win. Which is a very strange feeling indeed considering how much effort i have made supporting the club for the last 30 years.

McCoists statement the other day about winning first and entertaining second really struck a nerve with me. I put my self into debt to support Rangers and this guy comes away with shit like that?

Might as well just stay at home and check the scores on the Grandstand Vidiprinter if thats the attitude.

Yes, Cammy, Moyes would be an outstanding candidate but I discounted him on the grounds that he would not be welcomed by those who opposed Kenny M. - he played, albeit without distinction, for the dark side.

Yes, but he does comes from a 'Rangers supporting family'... :)

Very little outstanding candidates when you look around these shores. We'd be looking at the lower levels of the EPL, the higher levels of the Championship or the SPL. Roberto Martinez has Swansea playing some outstanding football and he's signed some decent players. Maybe Nacho and Aaron could have a wee word with him!

Cammy F

Ill not be renewing my season book next year. Ive lost the passion i once had for the game and I put it down to smith tactics.

We have no standards anymore. we have no class. And i dont see us aquiring any under the leadership of Smith or McCoist.

I find myself not really caring anymore if we lose or win. Which is a very strange feeling indeed considering how much effort i have made supporting the club for the last 30 years.

McCoists statement the other day about winning first and entertaining second really struck a nerve with me. I put my self into debt to support Rangers and this guy comes away with shit like that?

Might as well just stay at home and check the scores on the Grandstand Vidiprinter if thats the attitude.

I must come from the opposite end of the spectrum. To be honest, I don't really remember the time of the standards and class that you are refering to.

We did have a couple of years under Souness and under Advocaat where we had some of the best players around but we still had many dire games and it seemed to usually be the ones I went to...

Souness did not play with much style and from what I remember we were a tough defensive team that won the league by scoring a mere 48 goals in 36 games but only letting in 19. That was in the day when we were vastly outspending Celtic and the English league, and were picking up English internationals including their captain due to their ban in Europe. Hardly something we can emulate today.

Advocaat also had free reign in the transfer market and put us into debt to the tune of 70M and was it really that great? Sometimes yes but quite often no. I seen some really dire, defensive games (Parma for example) and it was really grim in his third and fourth seasons, with your heart actually sinking when our most expensive player ever came off the bench, to try and get a win against St Johnstone. We never could afford that level of spending and certainly can't compete much in the transfer market now.

So for me, we are left with the John Grieg years, the Walter Smith years, the Alex McLiesh years and the PLG months.

PLG to me, was only marginally better than Grieg, had far more money to spend and no Ferguson or McLean to spar with. You'll never convince me he was anything other than a complete disaster at the club.

Eck's teams played some dreadful football and we seemed to get worse with every passing game. The team always seemed to look like a bunch of players who had never met before and didn't have a clue what tactics they should be playing.

That leaves us with Walter Smith and I must say without doubt, some of the best football I've seen Rangers play was in his first spell. Who can forget the likes of Laudrup, Steven, Walters, Huistra and Gasgoigne? With others such as Hately and McCoist? I even remember some of our best football being played in the first half of the doomed 10 in a row season (Europe excepted).

So unless people are much older than me, or have a different appreciation of football than me, I'd say we have little "tradition" of playing fantastic, flowing, aesthetic football, and that our best stuff has actually come from our current manager.

The football may not be the best at the moment but I prefer it to that of Grieg, Eck and PLG as well as that of Advocaat in his 3rd and 4th seasons. It's not a million miles away from that of Souness but he had a much better pick of players.

What we have now is at worst, par for the course for Rangers in the last 30 years and so I don't know which era the rose tinted spectacles are looking at.

If we win the league this year, our record in the last two seasons will be above average in our history and that's including the unprecedented fixture pileup that ruined our treble and possible quadruple last season.

We may have masses of room for improvement (and many of the "Setting the standard" series of articles offer excellent ideas for achieving this) but to pretend we're a club that has a history of total football in the last 30 years, is just kidding ourselves on.

Of all the managers Advocaats was the only manager to actually play football. the first two years were his best and if another manager came along with the same philosophy id be absolutely delighted.

Smith has bored and drained the life out of me wether we win or lose.

That is something no other manager has done in my lifetime, no matter how good or bad their team was.

I must come from the opposite end of the spectrum.

Souness did not play with much style and from what I remember we were a tough defensive team that won the league by scoring a mere 48 goals in 36 games but only letting in 19. That was in the day when we were vastly outspending Celtic and the English league, and were picking up English internationals including their captain due to their ban in Europe. Hardly something we can emulate today.

Contrived nonsense. The football played under Souness was some of the best I've ever seen and I started when Scot Symon was settling in. Explains some of your views on the current regime, which are equally bizarre.