Birmingham boss Alex McLeish: I'll be back in for Rangers striker Kris Boyd

EXCLUSIVE

By DARRYL BROADFOOT

ALEX McLEISH will make a fresh bid to sign Kris Boyd in the summer regardless of whether Birmingham City are playing in the Coca-Cola Championship or the Premiership.

McLeish last night reiterated his admiration for the Rangers striker despite Boyd failing to agree personal terms when Birmingham's �£3million bid was accepted in January.

Birmingham occupy the second automatic promotion spot in the Championship with seven league games remaining and Boyd is a priority target, irrespective of what division the Midlands club will be playing in next season.

Boyd's future is almost certainly away from Ibrox at the end of the season. He was sent home from training by Walter Smith for showing a poor attitude in the build-up to the Old Firm Co-operative Insurance Cup defeat at Hampden and despite scoring 95 goals since McLeish signed him from Kilmarnock for �£400,000 in 2006, he has been left out of big games by Smith.

advertisement

"I wouldn't rule out working with Kris Boyd again," McLeish said. "I couldn't rule it out, him being a part of my squad in future.

"It is hypothetical now but we tried to go for him in January and I am really surprised he couldn't finish the deal. I got the feeling he didn't want to leave Rangers. I don't know if that has changed but I thought it was a good opportunity for him to come to England with a view to playing in the Premier League."

McLeish is a huge fan of Boyd's predatory talents. He understands the tactical dilemma that has prompted Smith to omit him from Rangers' most demanding games in the SPL and in Europe and cited even more illustrious examples of natural-born strikers, Nicolas Anelka and Didier Drogba at Cheslea, who are unable or unwilling to take their share of defensive responsibilities.

McLeish also confounded the popular conception that Boyd, with his dour demeanour, was a troublemaker after spats with Paul Le Guen, George Burley and now Smith.

"I don't think he is problematic," McLeish added, "It is just a decision not to pick him. Sometimes I didn't play him away from home.

"I can understand Walter Smith because a lot of teams, especially in Europe, play three in the middle of the field and if you don't match up then very often, you can get your backside felt.

"Fabio Capello, as England manager, has been prone to doing that. I found it difficult getting strikers to work back to deep-lying midfielders.

"They don't like to do it. It was a problem for Luiz Felipe Scolari and even Guus Hiddink said they Anelka and Drogba are two great strikers but that he must get them to think about their defensive job.

"That maybe explains why Boyd has been in and out at Rangers. He understands it but also knows his worth and if he is playing in the right circumstances, he will get goals.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2496874.0.0.php

Everyone delighted to see the back of Boyd still?

Name another striker we have who will guarantee 20+ goals a season?

I'll leave it there as cannot afford to get involved in more silly arguments.

I tis hardly an argument Jon.... I feel that the money we would get for him is far better than the worth of what he provides. Has he performed in the big games - No. He has scored plenty but against poorer opposition. Now that is bread and butter, but you must show the apptitude and the desire to go out and do it against the big teams. In the big games he has played he has looked lost, and very lazy.

Everyone delighted to see the back of Boyd still?

Name another striker we have who will guarantee 20+ goals a season?

I'll leave it there as cannot afford to get involved in more silly arguments.

Ruud Van Nilstroy was a far better goal scorer and all round player than Kris Boyd will ever be. When RVN was at Man United, he was theirs and the EPL's top goalscorer but with him in their team Man United only won 1 EPL title in 3 seasons.

SAF realised that whilst RVN goals were important, but his overall game and style of game wasn't working and was costing his team titles, cup's, games etc. Much to everyone's surprise, SAF sold RVN and was scoffed at for this decision at the time.

Well, we all know who was right. Man United haven't looked back after selling a player who scored goals for them on a regular basis. Kris Boyd playing ever week is hindering Rangers' overall performance and ability. When you look at the movement, passing, link up play, running, passion etc displayed by Lafferty it shows Boyd up for the lazy and woeful footballer that he is.

Would the team be better off without him? I would argue yes and as SAF and Man United proved, selling your top scorer can actually HELP the overall team performance and ability.

PS - who many goals has the 'goal-machine' contributed to the cause since the January transfer window closed?

Cammy F

Like I said, I cant afford to get into petty arguments, I've given my thoughts and so have you.

Leave it at that.

It is hardly petty arguements, it is potentially the difference of Rangers winning or losing the league. Boyd, when not scoring, which he hasn't done since January, offers NOTHING to the team, we would be as well playing with 10 men.

As I said above, Man United have proven that selling your top goalscorer can actually help the team perform better. Isn't this something that is worth trying? If we don't win the league this season, that will be 4 seasons without winning the SPL title. Surely we must try something different, as what ever is happening just now simply isn't working and simply isn't good enough.

Cammy F