Good Luck Davie Weir - Rangers Captain

I'd like to see Davie Weir offered a coaching job of some sort or some role where he can work with younger players and try to change the attitudes to training, diet etc. He's a model pro who has clearly looked after himself, so surely we should be looking to keep guys like him around Ibrox?

So you mean to say that having Coisty, Durranty, McDowall around the place is making the players have attitudes to training and diet that generally let themselves down?

Instead of offering coaching roles to any player that hangs around long enough at the end of their careers, I would prefer we bring in quality coaches, dieticians, and fitness experts to ensure the players are given every chance to be the best possible professionals they can be.

If the players dont wish to implement these attitudes, they should be sold.

Although I am not sure we would have enough players left to make up a team!

So you mean to say that having Coisty, Durranty, McDowall around the place is making the players have attitudes to training and diet that generally let themselves down?

Instead of offering coaching roles to any player that hangs around long enough at the end of their careers, I would prefer we bring in quality coaches, dieticians, and fitness experts to ensure the players are given every chance to be the best possible professionals they can be.

very true, we should have these staff in place already and be giving the players advice from a very young age, it's up to them to take it and i'm sure a lot will but I disagree they need to be sold if they don't want to be super fit for example. In an ideal world they would all take the good advice and be role models for the younger players but that's not going to happen........

I am not against ex players jobs(especially ones that played well for us) but will do any better than people who have qualified for these jobs?

Of course I'm not saying that, but clearly there's still a problem with the Scottish game in general where the majority of players still have a poor attitude to diet and fitness. We do have dieticians, sports science experts etc, so why are we still hearing the same rumours about how our players conduct themselves and there's the same lingering doubts about fitness.

I don't think Weir is just any old player (no pun intended) who's hanging around at the end of his career looking to pick up an easy wage. He's a model professional who has obviously looked after himself, otherwise he wouldn't still be playing the number of games he does at a reasonably high level. I'd wager that he's still much fitter than McCoist or Durrant were at a similar age, although I'll concede that his position helps him out in this respect.

Whether its in a defensive coaching role or something more directed towards health & fitness, I don't see a downside in having someone like Weir around the club in some capacity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 games. 7 wins.

Double winning captain?

Technically, hopefully....

But a league is won over a season so it woudl be a bit harsh to not give BF some of the credit..... ;)

I remember standing applauding the players after the final whistle at Pittodrie last season after we'd lost the league and thinking how much David Weir of all people deserved a league winner's medal. Perhaps our Davie's time has come.

7 games. 7 wins.

Double winning captain?

Something else I was thinking about earlier today - despite having been signed ten minutes ago, he must have racked up a hell of a lot of games by now. Three figures surely.

Technically, hopefully....

But a league is won over a season so it woudl be a bit harsh to not give BF some of the credit..... ;)

Ha, ha. True. No inferred slight on his predecessor (sp) meant. I first started this thread to try and lift some of the gloom around the club with the circumstances regarding Weir's "promotion". So I like to bump it whilst the good run lasts. Focus on the positives rather than the negatives.

Norris I'm sure I saw a figure of 120 appearances give or take. When you consider what we have achieved since he came to the club I think he will have a bigger part in Rangers history than many first though or perhaps by right he should have considering his age when he arrived. Fantastic signing. :rfc:

Ha, ha. True. No inferred slight on his predecessor (sp) meant. I first started this thread to try and lift some of the gloom around the club with the circumstances regarding Weir's "promotion". So I like to bump it whilst the good run lasts. Focus on the positives rather than the negatives.

Norris I'm sure I saw a figure of 120 appearances give or take. When you consider what we have achieved since he came to the club I think he will have a bigger part in Rangers history than many first though or perhaps by right he should have considering his age when he arrived. Fantastic signing. :rfc:

I hope that you are bumping this thread another 4 times this season to update his winning stats my friend !!

Agreed, FANTASTIC signing. Yes, he lacks pace - but he cost us NOTHING and his reading of the game is as good as any CB we have had since Gough. On top of that, I suspect that guys like Cuellar and Bougherra would not have made as big an impact without bit Davie beside them.

Very, very consistent performer - though his dictribution is SHITE !!!