100 Not Out..... Congratulations Boydy

RANGERS' greatest goal-scorer Ally McCoist reckons Kris Boyd deserved his 100th strike in today's Scottish Cup semi-final - for his sheer hard work and endeavour.

Some critics take issue with Boyd's contribution outwith his goal-scoring but assistant boss McCoist says Boyd worked for all he got.

KRangers fans celebrate Kris Boyd's 100th club goalris clinched the centrury in 146 Rangers appearances when his left foot strike put Rangers two up and McCoist - who holds the club record of 355 goals - is insistent he deserved it.

He said: "It's a phenomenal record for Kris. I'm delighted for him and I felt he earned that today.They all talk about Boyd the finisher - just get the ball in the box and he will put it away - but he worked hard today and he worked hard for his goal.

"I told him at half-time that he was working his socks off and if he continued to do that he would get his goal. He was playing people into the game and he was taking a few knocks and I said you will earn your goal and he did that."

Rangers got a dream star when Andrius Velicka scored in 74 minutes but it was not until the second half that they played to their potential and won the game well.

McCoist added: "I'm absolutely thrilled to be in the final. We got a dream start and then we struggled. I don't think St Mirren were parrticularly good either but our passing was poor for about an hour and then we ended up scoring two great goals to make sure we got through,

"The most important thing in any semi-final is to get to the Final and we did that. It lookd quite comfortable in the end but we did struggle a bit in the first half. However, we are through.

"Velicka has now scored three goals in three games and you can't argue with that. The one thing about him is that he positions himself to make a finish and he did that today.

""I though second half Davis and Edu were magnificent. We suffered the blow of losing Mendes and the two of them did really well in the second half."

Congratulations Boydy, a fantastic achievement under the most extreme pressure of always being told you are crap from a section of your own fans, and trying to be sold by your chairman.

I have said for a while now, given his age and desire, he could get close to Coisty's records if he stay at Ibrox for the rest of his career.

I don't think anyone Rangers supporter says that Boyd is CRAP. Some fans, rightly or wrongly believe that Boyd could (and to be fair, he has started to) offer more whilst playing. His attitude wasn't the best, his physical condition wasn't the best, his all round fitness wasn't the best and his overall contribution to the team could have been better.

Sections of the Rangers support never fail to amaze me - if, for whatever reason you question a players ability, you are regarding as some sort of non-fan. Kris Boyd can, has and will continue to score goals in the SPL, that has never been in question. But, as I said above, some fans rightly or wrongly demand more from Boyd - nothing wrong with that.

PS - congratulations to Boyd - some achievement

Cammy F

One hundred goals for Rangers? Aye, but what else has he done?' It is hard to think of another player who divides opinion as much as Kris Boyd.

It may take the striker's eventual retirement from football before a measured and reflective assessment of his achievements and talents can be properly made. Given he is only 25, and in relative rude health, we may have to just put up with another seven or eight years of claim and counter-claim in the meantime.

Boyd's goal against St Mirren in Saturday's Homecoming Scottish Cup semi-final brought up his century in Rangers colours, to add to the 68 he bagged for Kilmarnock and his seven Scotland goals. He is undoubtedly the most consistently prolific scorer in Scottish football but acclaim has not been universal and is traditionally delivered with caveats attached.

Scott McDonald, his only real modern-day peer when it comes to the art of regularly finding the net, is lauded not only for his goals but for his endeavour and unstinting work ethic as well. St Mirren's chances of springing a shock on Saturday were weakened by an injury to Craig Dargo, a striker who rarely scores but drags himself tirelessly across the pitch unsettling defenders and creating space for others.

advertisement

Boyd, for all there has been a marked improvement in his all-round game this season, is not renowned for tracking back, making dangerous runs into the channels, or unselfish acts. His talent is an unerring ability to put the ball in the net, whether it is from three yards or 30. Should that not be enough?

There is an obsession in this country with players "working hard" and "giving 100%". We become suspicious of those, like Boyd, we think are lazy and therefore not making a substantial contribution to the greater good. Conversely, praise is showered on teams who have battled valiantly but failed.

I can't fault the boys for effort,' is an oft-repeated paean of the defeated manager, as if trying hard at your job is something worthy of congratulation rather than a given.

Granted, football is evolving. The modern striker is often utilised in a 4-5-1 formation and expected to be the pivot in all his team's attacks rather than just a goalscorer. Boyd cannot play this role. He is no Didier Drogba or Francesco Totti. He has limitations in his ability, fitness, and vision.

But played alongside someone who can perform this role, Kenny Miller for example, in a 4-4-2 system and Boyd invariably scores.

His goal on Saturday, trundled low past Mark Howard after Steven Davis had put it on a plate for him, and took him to 29 for the season. He has scored at least 20 goals in every campaign since making the move from Kilmarnock at the start of 2006.

It has not been enough to earn him a nomination for the Player of the Year award, a surprising snub from his fellow professionals. There is no doubt that Boyd does not command the same respect for his achievements, from his fellow players, sections of the media, and even some supporters, that was bestowed unconditionally on Ally McCoist or Henrik Larsson, goal-getters of some repute.

That may be partly to do with the aforementioned personal limitations, his sullen media persona - in stark contrast to his chirpy personality away from the cameras - or his decision to turn his back on the Scottish national team at the end of last year.

There is also recurring criticism that he traditionally fails to score in the games that really matter, against Celtic and in Europe. David Weir, his Rangers team-mate, acknowledged those flaws but felt Boyd has it in him to make further improvements.

"I'm not sure of the statistics but if there are less goals against the top six teams then that is something he will work on and something he will do," Weir said. "If he gets a chance, he is more than likely to score - whoever it is against.

"He is still a young man and I think a lot of people brush that under the carpet. He is learning his trade and doing so in a tough environment. You don't get much time at Rangers to bed in or make improvements. Everything is about the finished article and the end product. But he doesn't let things affect him. He knows what he does best and I think Kris would admit that is how he answers his critics: he puts the ball in the net. As long as he is doing that, then people can snipe all they want."

Boyd's future at Rangers is uncertain. Only the player's stubborn refusal to move south prevented Birmingham City from signing him for �£3m in January. Rangers' deteriorating financial health plus the St Andrews' side's potential elevation into the Barclays Premier League could tempt Alex McLeish return in the summer for the striker he signed for Rangers.

Should Boyd somehow end up staying at Ibrox, Weir can only foresee more of the same from the player.

"Can I imagine him scoring another 100 goals for Rangers? Yeah, definitely. As long as Kris is fit and in the team, he will put away the chances that the team creates. The thing with Kris is that he likes football and wants to be the best he can. If you have that attitude then you will go a long way. We wouldn't swap him for anybody."

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines/display.var.2504444.0.Firstclass_century_and_out_for_Kris_Boyd.php