Chesney named manager of the year

And slightly off topic, but still maybe relevant.

Down south the media bias continues which undoubtadly assisted Ryan Giggs getting the POTY when he has started only 11 games.

As much as i like Giggs, no way on earth should that title have gone to him. Gerrard should have won it, but Liverpool are a club hated by the media and Man Utd a club adored by the media aswell as s. A. Ferguson.

So, overall it tells us that these awards basically are deceitful and biased and therefore meaningless and pointless.

What is the point in having the awards before the season ends anyway? Up north if Rangers win the double now and in 10 years time some wee 18 year old guy looks back in the history books, what will he find?...

...In season 2008/09 Rangers won the SPL title and the Scottish Homecoming cup and Celtic won the less desirable League cup.

Despite this Celtics manager Gordon Strachan won the Manger of the year for winning trophy that is rated 3rd in line in most peoples minds. This is despite managing 'the richest club in Scotland', with the 'best finances', and supposedly having the 'best squad'.

The manager of Scotlands '2nd richest club' manages to upset the favourites for the league title by beating them to a Scottish double.

But, in so doing, Walter Smith is not recognised as the best manager that season.

Ok, try explaining that someone if that happens!

Which just goes to show that it is a baffling decision anyway, but will be completely mind boggling if Rangers do manage to win the double.

Giggs won the award down south for sentimentality, which is wrong and did not deserve POTY. Not sure Gerrard does either though. Another case of no one outstanding candidate. Vidic (one game where he got raped by Torres aside) is probably most deserving. Christ what's wrong with me, keep picking defenders. :eek:

Also don't agree the media hate Liverpool. Quite the reverse. Especially if we're talking t.v. etc.

Agree with the overall sentiments of the post.

Giggs won the award down south for sentimentality, which is wrong and did not deserve POTY. Not sure Gerrard does either though. Another case of no one outstanding candidate. Vidic (one game where he got raped by Torres aside) is probably most deserving. Christ what's wrong with me, keep picking defenders. :eek:

Also don't agree the media hate Liverpool. Quite the reverse. Especially if we're talking t.v. etc.

Agree with the overall sentiments of the post.

Perhaps i should have put it the other way. That Liverpool fans, in particular, hate the media. This can be tracked back to the Hillsborough disaster and the headline 'THE TRUTH' about Liverpool fans.

As a result of this there has been a reluctance to praise anything to do with the media, but more especially the sun newspaper group. Additionally, the Sun bosses have really hated Liverpool.

But, i kind of retract that statement about Liverpool being hated by the media as it is definetly the other way around.

Your right though, Giggs was awarded the POTY through sentimentality alone, which again, makes a mockery of these awards.

POTY stats this time but thought i'd keep them in here:

Brown 33 starts, 5 goals, 4 assists, 52 fouls commited, 6 yellow cards.

Steve Davis 30 starts, 5 goals, 7 assists, 23 fouls commited, 1 yellow card.

:whistle:

Not only does Laszlo deserve the award, he is the only manager worth putting on the shortlist this season.

Couldn't agree more. Shocking decision. So Chesney wins it for winning the CIS (AET) and being top of the league (for now) - ohhhhhhh, and for their wonderful run in Europe (automatic entrant and papped oot with no UEFA parachute....).

Incredulous decision.

Last year's decision to give it to McGeady over Cuellar is the biggest mistake of these awards in recent memory. Quite simply dumfounding.

IMO giving it to Brown over Bougherra is possibly even worse - at least on a par

IMO giving it to Brown over Bougherra is possibly even worse - at least on a par

I think Cuellar was clearly the one and only outstanding candidate last year. Especially with his European performances (I know they're not supposed to count, but clearly they are taken into consideration). Cuellar was the biggest travesty by far imo.

That's not to say that this year has not been an enormous cock up too.

I think Cuellar was clearly the one and only outstanding candidate last year. Especially with his European performances (I know they're not supposed to count, but clearly they are taken into consideration). Cuellar was the biggest travesty by far imo.

That's not to say that this year has not been an enormous cock up too.

But at the same time I think Bougherra is the only stand out this time around too.

Likewise, not saying last year wasn't a travesty either.

What is telling is that on both occasions a Rangers player was so very obviously the best candidate but was overlooked for a Celtic player.

POTY stats this time but thought i'd keep them in here:

Brown 33 starts, 5 goals, 4 assists, 52 fouls commited, 6 yellow cards.

Steve Davis 30 starts, 5 goals, 7 assists, 23 fouls commited, 1 yellow card.

Well, well, well, there it is in black and white.