Rangers star Madjid Bougherra needs linesman's change of heart to play in SPL showdow

May 18 2009 By James Traynor and Craig Swan

THE fate of Madjid Bougherra and perhaps also Rangers' title hopes depends on a change of heart by linesman Graham Chambers.

The assistant referee at Ibrox on Saturday and NOT whistler Stuart Dougal will be asked to decide if Bougherra's red card in the 2-1 win over Aberdeen should be rescinded.

But Kyle Lafferty can expect no leniency. In fact, Record Sport can reveal he will be hit with a �£12,000 fine by his own club, who are embarrassed and furious about his behaviour against the Dons.

Lafferty is also expected to make apologies for conning Dougal into sending off Charlie Mulgrew.

Even so, the Northern Irish internationalist can expect further punishment from the SFA who are determined to stamp out cheating.

Lafferty was caught on TV winking to team-mates after he'd thrown himself to the ground clutching his face to pretend he'd been head-butted by Mulgrew.

But it emerged last night the Dons defender's red card will be rescinded, leaving him free to face Hibs on Sunday.

Rangers hope they will have Bougherra for their crucial match against Dundee United.

He was sent off for sliding into Jamie Langfield. It had been thought Dougal sent him off for the challenge but, according to Chambers, his crime was kicking out at the keeper's head as they lay on the turf.

Rangers hope Chambers will review the incident after they appeal to the SFA today.

If he changes his mind or believes there could be some doubt over intent the incident will go to the SFA's review panel. They will sit before Sunday and there is a good chance they will cut the punishment to a yellow and let Bougherra play at Tannadice.

Dougal said in a statement last night: "Upon returning home I reviewed the Mulgrew and Lafferty incident.

"My views on it have since been emailed to the SFA, the contents of which must remain private until they've had time to consider them.

"Like most people in the ground I was convinced Lafferty had been the victim of violent conduct. I have now seen what others have seen and this will form the basis of my report to the SFA.

"With regard to the Bougherra incident, the assistant referee will review his decision if requested."

Dougal knows he was conned by Lafferty and the SFA will wipe Mulgrew's record. They will then have to deal with Lafferty because it was his diving that caused the referee to make the wrong call.

SFA chief executive Gordon Smith is out to remove simulation from the game and article 10 of the UEFA disciplinary procedure will be used to punish Lafferty in July.

That's when the SFA disciplinary committee is scheduled to meet and they will also review incidents involving Celtic's Glenn Loovens and Scott McDonald.

Loovens escaped punishment for kicking Maurice Edu in the Old Firm match and McDonald got away with a high tackle on Lee Wilkie of Dundee United.

Unlike the Bougherra case, these incidents are referred to the disciplinary meeting because referees didn't see them.

Meanwhile, Aberdeen's Michael Paton has slammed Lafferty.

The youngster said: "What he did was terrible and it backfired on Rangers because it looked as if the referee tried to even it up by sending Bougherra off."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2009/05/18/rangers-star-madjid-bougherra-needs-linesman-s-change-of-heart-to-play-in-spl-showdown-86908-21368323/

The final decision lies with the ref. He should not be passing the buck back to the linesman.

He had to make the decision on the day based on what the linesman told him, but with the evidence available, he should be taking over. Disgraceful.

Dougal is a coward.

Both he and the linesman should admit they made a mistake with both incidents. Anything less than a rescinding of the Bougherra red card should be challenged by Rangers as strongly as possible.

The club manager has stated publicly that the decision was 'incredible'.

As such, if Bougherra is not free to play this Sunday, I'd expect Smith's reaction (and his peers at the club) to reflect their disbelief.

I would want my club to pull out of the Scottish Cup final in protest.

The club manager has stated publicly that the decision was 'incredible'.

As such, if Bougherra is not free to play this Sunday, I'd expect Smith's reaction (and his peers at the club) to reflect their disbelief.

I would want my club to pull out of the Scottish Cup final in protest.

I would like that as well Frankie! It would show up Scottish football for what it is!! Corrupt to the core