Murdo MacLeod's Team of the year

For the lazy bassas :

This has been one of the most exciting seasons for many years in Scottish domestic football.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Pick your SPL team of the season

The quality of play - and player - was maybe not as good as some of the seasons gone by.

That is no surprise considering there is much less money going around at the moment.

But just about every team had something to play for right up until the final weekend of the Scottish Premier League season.

Celtic overcame their Glasgow rivals to win the Co-operative Insurance Cup final.

But I always say that the best team ends up at the top of the league and Rangers made it a fantastic double.

Meanwhile, the Scottish Cup final exemplified Falkirk's season - they play good football but can't score enough goals and that was why they struggled to avoid relegation.

There have been some fine individual performances this season and here's who I would choose in my select, playing good old 4-4-2.

JAMIE LANGFIELD (Aberdeen)

There were plenty of options for the goalkeeping gloves as there have been lots of good performers this season in the SPL.

Alan Combe has been good for Kilmarnock and Lukasz Zaluska, who is heading for Celtic in the summer, has done well with Dundee United.

But Jamie Langfield has been very consistent and made a lot of vital saves.

The 29-year-old helped the Dons clinch Europa League qualification and justified Jimmy Calderwood's decision to stick by him after a few off-field troubles, even if it was not enough for the manager to keep his job.

JACK ROSS (St Mirren)

Players like Celtic's Andreas Hinkel are more high-profile and play for more glamorous sides than St Mirren.

But Jack Ross, who joined the Buddies from Falkirk last summer, has been the most consistent right-back in Scotland this season.

The 32-year-old former Clyde and Hartlepool man is a good passer of the ball, supports the midfield well and was important in the Paisley club's battle against relegation.

Of course, he has also done well as a BBC Radio Scotland football pundit!

LEE WALLACE (Hearts)

Left-back has been a problem for the Scotland team in recent seasons, so the emergence of 21-year-old Lee Wallace is a boost for our game.

He has already shone at Under-21 level and will be chapping on the door of the full international team.

Wallace defends well and is comfortable getting up the left-hand side in support and going forward.

GARY CALDWELL (Celtic)

Gary Caldwell has had a fantastic season for Celtic and the standard he has set is phenomenal.

The 27-year-old is strong at the back, breaks out from the defence and would be one of my two central defenders.

He thoroughly deserved his player of the year award from the football writers.

Caldwell has also proved himself to be an outstanding leader and distributes the ball well from the back.

They don't hit the headlines, but I am sure a few top English clubs would be interested in him if he was available.

MADJID BOUGHERRA (Rangers)

Madjid Bougherra has proven himself to be a fantastic central defender since joining Rangers from Charlton last summer.

The 26-year-old Algerian is comfortable with the ball at his feet, has good pace and reads the game so well.

When he is in the Rangers side, they look much stronger in defence and he rounded off the season with another fine display in the Scottish Cup final victory over Falkirk.

As happened with Carlos Cuellar last season, Rangers will do well to hold on to him in the summer.

Cuellar has done well with Aston Villa after moving there following a good season at Ibrox and I think top English clubs will be looking at Bougherra.

Rangers could yet make a lot of money from him in the summer.

STEVEN DAVIS (Rangers)

Steven Davis has been outstanding for Rangers, with his work-rate, his will to win and his passing.

I always think he would be even better in the middle of the park, where I think the 24-year-old Northern Ireland international would prefer to play himself.

But it is even more commendable that the former Fulham man has done so well in that wide-right role.

Shunsuke Nakamura at Celtic would have been another option in the wide position, but I think Davis has had the edge this season.

MORGARO GOMIS (Dundee United)

Morgaro Gomis has been outstanding this season, which led to the 23-year-old being called up for international duty by Senegal in January.

He is a very good football player and has good will to win.

Gomis can control games from the middle of the park, has a good football brain and seems to blossom in the big games.

He has been a great find for Dundee United's Craig Levein and justified the manager's faith in him, both at Cowdenbeath and now Tannadice.

SCOTT BROWN (Celtic)

Scott Brown has had a very good second season with Celtic, culminating in his player of the year award from his fellow professionals.

He is aggressive, has a good work-rate and great will to win.

For family reasons, he had a difficult time in his first term at Parkhead, but he has blossomed into one of the fans' favourites.

He is also one of the top players in Scottish football and, as he is only 23, still has his best days ahead of him at club and international level.

ANDY DORMAN (St Mirren)

Andy Dorman has had a great year and scored a lot of important goals from midfield.

The 27-year-old Englishman's overall play has been very good as well.

St Mirren struggled to avoid relegation, but their two best players are in my team.

Dorman deserves his place in my midfield because I think it was his goals that saved St Mirren from going down to Division One.

And I am sure he is another who will be attracting interest from bigger clubs.

KRIS BOYD (Rangers)

Kris Boyd's main job is scoring goals and he gives you that in abundance.

The 25-year-old's goals - his 27 in the SPL made him the league's top scorer - have been vital in close games and have given Rangers the edge on many occasions this season.

His more general play has been criticised in the past, but that has been getting better and he has been working harder than ever.

Boyd started the season by controversially withdrawing his services from the Scotland set-up under George Burley, also voiced his frustration at being left out the Rangers side and would have left Ibrox in January had he not rejected a contract offer from Birmingham.

But him staying at Ibrox made a major contribution to Rangers winning the title and the Scottish Cup.

SCOTT McDONALD (Celtic)

Of Celtic's three main strikers, former Motherwell man Scott McDonald has had the better season by far.

His 16 strikes may be overshadowed by Rangers' Boyd, but the 25-year-old Australia international holds the ball up better than anyone else in Scotland.

He is very strong for such a small player, works hard and grabs important goals.

While the futures of Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and Georgios Samaras may be in question after indifferent spells, you would imagine that the successor to Gordon Strachan as Celtic manager would want to extend McDonald's stay to a third season.

He's obviously tried to do a kind of balance with 3 Rangers 3 Celtic and 5 of the rest so he doesn't offend anyone.

That was my intial reaction when I saw three tims in their who had average seasons at best.

If McGregor an Alexander hadn't shared the season between them, I'm sure he'd have had no choice but give us that one.

Despite his limitations, I'd pick Weir ahead of Caldwell any day.

In fact, nine out of the eleven could easily have been given to the Gers.