Oh man... I sniff another Boyd debate... but now we have Sebo thrown in the mix.

Gribz, a headless chicken over a statue is definitely the right way to go as you get more from them - IF the headless chicken has some kind of end product. Sebo did a lot of running around but couldnt score - he also didnt provide any for anyone else. Boyd, well we know what he does - he scores 30+ a season.

If Buffel was such a wasted talent why is it he is playing with a lesser club in Belgium and not one of the bigger clubs ?

Cercle Brugge have just got rid of him too I believe. Wasn't cutting it.

If Buffel was such a wasted talent why is it he is playing with a lesser club in Belgium and not one of the bigger clubs ?

By wasted talent i meant past tense and I didnt say who is to blame for that (he is obviously partly to blame). He was a wasted talent before leaving us.

The guy had quality at Feyenoord and showed it in a quite a few games when he first came to Ibrox (that 3-1 OF game in 2005 and Porto in CL the same month to name 2) but after his injury we never saw him again. So of course its a waste.

My first and only thoughts too i'm afraid. If we only have 20 players then it's obvious kids are gonna get a chance, which is obviously good if they're ready. Doing something good because you're forced into it isn't the same as doing something good because you've planned to do it, want to and have he capability.

Anyway, I hate to be so cynical, but we shall see.

I really don't get this, I always thought "doing something good" at Rangers was winning trophies. It's so important at such a big club as ours that bringing through youth talent is generally a pretty minor consideration.

I know most Rangers fans would prefer we bought up all the best young talent in the SPL (like Thomson, Boyd, Whittaker etc) and challenged for every trophy, rather than concentrate on youth and be struggling to compete with a club like Hibs - who have arguably been the best at this in recent years.

There is actually a pretty compelling argument that we shouldn't really have a youth team at all, but instead use the money to buy the best young talent in Scotland.

I'd like us to bring through the best youth players but I don't understand the obsession with it, when it's a pretty unrealistic goal.

Even in hindsight, the vast majority of our "promising" youths supposedly not given a chance at Rangers, have failed to turn into superstars elsewhere.

In any case you will find few successful clubs with teams full of teenagers - which is obviously why seasoned professionals demand a far higher salary.

We have to have a youth system or we wouldn't be able to compete in European competition...

Remember we need 8 home grown players now - 4 of which must have been trained at our youth academy.

:)