TOMMY WILSON has today confirmed that Rangers could be on the verge of pulling out of the SPL Reserve League.

Wilson, speaking after his side's 2-0 win over Oxford United this afternoon, believes that arranging regular friendly fixtures throughout the year would be more beneficial than the current format.

Last season Rangers had to fulfil 22 Reserve league fixtures but this became increasingly difficult due to players moving on loan to gain first-team experience and injuries.

The club's under-19 starlets were also unavailable for selection as they had had league and SFA Youth Cup fixtures to focus on.

With the club's first-team squad being trimmed this summer Wilson believes this could be the right time to move on although the final decision will be made by Walter Smith and Chief Executive Martin Bain.

Tommy said: "My understanding is that playing in the league is optional now and it maybe that we as a club opt out of that.

"I am not entirely sure what is happening but I think a decision will be made soon and we will build our preparations and plans around that.

"Obviously it will be the Manager and Chief Executive that will make the call.

"But I think when there is a league there you have to fulfil fixtures whether you are ready or not.

"If it is a more informal arrangement then you can play the games when it suits yourself.

"We, as a club, need to take a balanced view and then decide what to do. I will then make any future plans for the team around that."

Moving away from the Reserve league would allow the club to organise Reserve games against Premiership or even foreign opposition and Wilson admits this is one of the attractions.

He added: "We are already doing this on Saturday when we take on Blackburn Rovers in a friendly and we will continue to do this providing we have a big enough group of players.

"If the league is no more for us some of our players may go on loan so there's a lot of things we need to take in to consideration."

I moved this in here as I think this might have interesting implications for the first team.

If the reserves aren't part of a league format, will the fringe players be getting enough game time to keep them as match fit as possible? I know perhaps reserve games do not keep players sharp enough for first team football, but if the reserves are not even part of a league format an hence even less competitive might players take it even more lightly? Or will the intended greater quality of opposition attenuate that?

Also if there is no reserve league, more players are likely to go out on loan as alluded to by Tommy Wilson, might that leave us in trouble if we get an injury/suspension crisis in the first team?

Interesting concept and I see the positives and benefits. But i'm not sure i'd agree with leaving the reserve league if we did.

It's a tough call. Last season we brought in players like Edu, Fleck, Smith, Vellicka, McCulloch & Dailly when needed and if it hadn't been for reserve games, most of them would have been nowhere near match fit.

That said, even with a large squad there were times when we struggled to field a reserve team. With our squad being trimmed and having European fixtures added to the calendar this season, this problem is only going to increase.

If we can successfully fit the right number of reserve games around our schedule, then maybe dropping out of the reserve league is the best option. At the same time we'll hopefully be able to hand pick a higher level of opposition. After all, playing against much of the SPL opposition is mundane enough never mind at reserve level.

I do share SA's concerns about the increased number of players put out on loan though.

I thought I heard some idea mooted recently that the OF - or Rangers at least - could play in some kind of reserve league with English sides? To my mind that would be a far better option. The standard of football would surely be higher and the youngsters better prepared for the first team. Other SPL sides are going to be promoting their best youth to the first teams, so diluting any league for reserves.Also - and I'm maybe fantasising here - it maybe could test the water for an eventual move to the EPL.

I thought I heard some idea mooted recently that the OF - or Rangers at least - could play in some kind of reserve league with English sides? To my mind that would be a far better option. The standard of football would surely be higher and the youngsters better prepared for the first team. Other SPL sides are going to be promoting their best youth to the first teams, so diluting any league for reserves.Also - and I'm maybe fantasising here - it maybe could test the water for an eventual move to the EPL.

Wasnt Celtic were looking at the option of putting a reserve team in Division 3?

IMO the whole scottish set up needs restructured from the Premier league to Division 3 including all reserve sides.

2 top divisions would be enough then there should be regional leagues with the winners from each league playing off at the end of the season for promotion to the SFL. The OF could put teams in the regional leagues, but if they got promoted it might cause a bit of a problem with the first team.

The reserve league is always having games moved and cancelled.

Not playing in it means we can play different (and often better) opposition via organised friendlies and tournaments.

Not sure how well this will work but obviously there is a problem somewhere resulting in this.

Professional Youth football is competitive and in my opinion, exciting to watch.

Reserve football is truly awful and rarely offers worthwhile opportunity. A first team regular needing games to regain fitness is it's only real value.

The Andy Websters of this world treat reserve football with no respect, they barely achieve quarter pace. Even Youth players stepping up are subjected to the unprofessional attitude of seniors who should know better.

The only future for Rangers Reserves is to get them into Division 3. If this doen not happen, if it's not on the immediate radar, then bin the Reserves and ensure all the club's concentration and resources(after the first team squad) are poured into Youth football, it's far more important.