Emirates Tournament thread

Craig's not daft, he probably set it up on purpose so he could come on and groan at whoever made the obvious crack. :devil:

Hope you're right about Boogie.

Was about to groan till I saw your post..... you took the edge off it.

I hope that none of the 3 mentioned (Boogie, Davis, Mendes) leave. Especially Boogie. As Andrew said, we are very thin at CB so to let him leave would be nigh on criminal IMO.

What we should be doing is building our team around these guys (along with Thomson).

If you look at those guys as being the spine of the team (which they are IMO) you have Boogie who is 26, Davis who is 24, Mendes who is 30 and Thomson who is 24 (along with Edu at 23, Whittaker at 25, McGregor at 27 which is young for a keeper and Boyd at 25) and we have a decent few players who our team could be built around.

Obviously I have mentioned more players than intended but when you look at the above (and there are others too obviously) then we should, IMO, be building our team around :

Mendes - 30

Thomson - 24

Davis - 24

Boogie - 26

That is the spine of the team right there. The right mix of experience and youth/younger players. Mendes the old head but even the other 3 have lots of either EPL or European experience.

When you then add :

McGregor - 27

Whittaker - 25

Boyd - 25

Edu - 23

And you have a lot of young guys who can definitely do a job. And then there are guys like Naismith (who looks like he could feature a LOT this season if his early form is anything to go by), Fleck, Aaron, Lafferty etc etc then we actually have a relatively young squad which, if kept together, could prove to be a very good squad too.

Looking at our starting XI today only Weir, Mendes & McCulloch were over 30 and only the former two should be regular starters when the season gets underway.

We just need to hold onto the players we have and we need to either get a CB in as long-term replacement for Weir or give Danny Wilson some games to see how he gets on - and then sort out the troublesome LM position.

Man, talk about wandering off on a tangent....

Craig, I think if Wilson was gonna see much 1st team action in the coming season, he'd have been out in Germany. I think he's still too young by the looks of things. He's only 17 AFAIK.

Craig, I think if Wilson was gonna see much 1st team action in the coming season, he'd have been out in Germany. I think he's still too young by the looks of things. He's only 17 AFAIK.

Has anyone heard why he wasnt in the squad though ? Just left out ? Injured ? There could be a reasonable explanation.

Fleck is also only 17 and has played a handful of 1st team games. Age shouldnt matter. Playing a 17 yr old at CB is a tad more risky than one at LM though.....

So it looks like McCulloch will be a first team regular this season? Oh no!

I heard we played well which is a huge confidence booster for the players. If we can give Arsenal a good game today and hopefully score a couple of goals they strikers will be buzzing.

Changes will be made by WS though which is maybe a bad thing considering how well the team played yesterday.

From the match programme yesterday:

Q: What do you know about Rangers, your first opponents in the competition?

This club is legendary for me. It's a great European club and it's always difficult to beat them, like all Scottish teams.

Their fighting spirit, courage and talent make them really tough opponents. They are Scottish champions and they are really strong as a team.

Another one for the list of great quotes about the Gers. :spl:

Great performance yesterday and was good to see McCulloch proving all his doubters wrong by taking a grip of most of the first half ! Thomson then came on and done the same job.

Anyone think we played better with Boydy up front ? Also Naisy looked really good, coming on being positive, hitting them with pace unlike Nacho !!

Mendes was different class though, see his first touch past Gallas with the heel then played a world cup winning pass through to Boydy !!!

Brilliant performance yesterday, here is hoping no one picked up any knocks and can start with our full XI again today !!!