Emirates Tournament thread

Yeah, thought we played well, but I'm still not convinced by Lafferty playing wide (looks unconfortable and struggles for acceleration) and McCulloch in the holding role. He got away with it today, but Thomson made a huge improvement when he came on.

Despite my previous comments about Naismith not impressing, he has looked very sharp and mobile in pre-season and must be pushing for a starting slot. very impressive and looks like he may make me eat my words.

We still need a new centre half as well. I felt Weir struggled on occasion, and if we do have any cash to spend, that that has to be the position we use it for.

Possibly the strangest comment I've ever seen you make. :confused: :box:

How so?

His work rate is easy to see when we are in possession due to his mobility, he runs the channels and chases lost causes. But then all forwards work hard when the team is in possession as they sniff the opportunity for a chance at goal.

However Miller's "workrate" is no more apparent than any other forward when we don't have the ball.

Everyone has experienced this playing football. Lazy bastard forwards who only work when they think there's an opportunity to score but don't work when the opposition have the ball. Miller seems to stand around at the spear head of the attack without really closing the defenders playing the ball at the back in much the same way that the "lazy" Boyd does.

Or is that not what you found strange?

Go read the sportinglife report on the game and you would have thought there were two different games.

A couple of snippets :

1. "Rangers won thanks to a scrappy goal". Just how was that goal scrappy. Bougherra got up well and put his header in almost the top corner

2. "The Scottish side were certainly not outplayed by their French counterparts". Given we were the better team should it not have been "Rangers were the more dominant team" or such like.

3. Apparently they reckon after Miller had a chance in 6 mins PSG enjoyed the better of the first half. What game were they at ?

Talk about putting our play in a negative light !!

Not all forwards work hard when we have the ball. There were plenty examples of that not happening in the first half of last season.

I see Miller chasing back, closing people down etc, and more so than most other forwards. However he may have been under instructions not to do his usual chasing today given his position of being upfront on his own.

I would be inclined to agree BD.

I suspect he was told that the chasing should be done by the wide midfield players, otherwise Miller would find himself completely out of position when we did get the ball, leaving us with no proper "out".

That said, when Boyd has, on that rare occasion, played the lone striker position he gets it tight for not chasing and harrying - we cant have it both ways with different players.

Go read the sportinglife report on the game and you would have thought there were two different games.

A couple of snippets :

1. "Rangers won thanks to a scrappy goal". Just how was that goal scrappy. Bougherra got up well and put his header in almost the top corner

2. "The Scottish side were certainly not outplayed by their French counterparts". Given we were the better team should it not have been "Rangers were the more dominant team" or such like.

3. Apparently they reckon after Miller had a chance in 6 mins PSG enjoyed the better of the first half. What game were they at ?

Talk about putting our play in a negative light !!

That's complete balls. In simple terms:

Better for first half hour.

PSG had a good spell til half time, with a few crosses flashed by and lob onto roof of net.

2nd half, PSG started slightly better. Created little.

Pretty even half overall, we dominated before and after goal.

PSG didn't look like scoring all day.

Bougherra rattled in a header and even though Makelele got a head on it couldn't keep it out.

Edit: regards Miller, didn't consider the impact of instructions from the manager and that may have led to him working less hard when we didn't have possession.

Not all forwards work hard when we have the ball. There were plenty examples of that not happening in the first half of last season.

That's kind of my point though. Should a player famed for work rate not work harder than any other forward rather than merely as hard as the rest?

1-1 in the other game with a couple mins left. Stays like this and we would likely win it if we avoid defeat tomorrow.

As I finish typing, Arshavin slots one away to make it 2-1