Beckham, Campbell and James dropped.

McLaren certainly making a statement but i think he is right to build for the future and drop the above who will be 33, 33 and 37 respecivily at Euro 08. I think Gary Neville is about the same age but he is still at the top of his game.

I had a look at the squad and thought it looks slightly lightweight upfront (Crouch, Defoe, Bent and Ashton). I thought a 5th striker in Andy Johnston or James Beattie would have been added, but it looks like Rooney and Owen will walk back in meaning Ashton drops out and thats his 5 strikers.

The keepers dont Shania Twain me much either, Robinson yes, Kirkland - hasnt caught a ball in about 2 years and Foster has zero experience.

BTW Venebles No.2 - Great scoop for England! Despite me not being the biggest england fan :) I always liked Venebles' era and liked his team etc.

McLarens first full squad:

Goalkeepers:

Robinson (Tottenham), Kirkland (Liverpool), Foster (Man Utd).

Defenders:

Bridge (Chelsea), Brown (Man Utd), Carragher (Liverpool), A Cole (Arsenal), Dawson (Tottenham), Ferdinand (Man Utd), G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Everton), Terry (capt, Chelsea), Young (Charlton).

Midfielders:

Downing (Middlesbrough), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Richardson (Man Utd), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea).

Strikers:

Ashton (West Ham), Bent (Charlton), Crouch (Liverpool), Defoe (Tottenham).

McLaren certainly making a statement but i think he is right to build for the future and drop the above who will be 33, 33 and 37 respecivily at Euro 08. I think Gary Neville is about the same age but he is still at the top of his game.

I had a look at the squad and thought it looks slightly lightweight upfront (Crouch, Defoe, Bent and Ashton). I thought a 5th striker in Andy Johnston or James Beattie would have been added, but it looks like Rooney and Owen will walk back in meaning Ashton drops out and thats his 5 strikers.

The keepers dont Shania Twain me much either, Robinson yes, Kirkland - hasnt caught a ball in about 2 years and Foster has zero experience.

BTW Venebles No.2 - Great scoop for England! Despite me not being the biggest england fan :) I always liked Venebles' era and liked his team etc.

Great point about Venables. When all the talk about Eck leaving was on the go, Venables was one that I would have welcomed at Ibrox.

agree with every word you say mate!

the england goalie situation is drastic as i poibnted out beforte the world cup. if robinson had be injured they would have been forced to play the liverpool THIRD choice as their second man!

unbelievable!

think this season will sort out the striking situation as everyone knows how desperate england are for a striker!

rooney and owen yes, but after that virtually anyone could walk into that team!

It's obvious that Mclaren is making a statement of intent and distancing himself from Sven's era. Dropping Beckham, the biggest underperformer in the team, shows that he's not overawed by big names. Seems to me he's putting the building blocks in place for the next Euro's and WC - exciting times for Colshy et al.

agree with every word you say mate!

the england goalie situation is drastic as i poibnted out beforte the world cup. if robinson had be injured they would have been forced to play the liverpool THIRD choice as their second man!

unbelievable!

think this season will sort out the striking situation as everyone knows how desperate england are for a striker!

rooney and owen yes, but after that virtually anyone could walk into that team!

Yeah there is certainly a strikers place up for grabs and 1 of 4 or 5 will be in contention.

I also think a few other youngters will break through, the likes of Anton Ferdinand and Reo-Coker might feature. Ledley King is another cert when he is fit.

I dont know if id have had Beckham in the squad or not. I would of maybe had him in but certainly wouldnt of started him. But its maybe a good thing for Becks, he is a proud man and he will want to go and prove himself and get back in the team. IMO a fully fit Beckham on top form is still a quality player. I think he should move back to England though so he can show it week in week out.