How does this team selection look...

.... for lesser fixtures like Hamilton at Home etc?

(GK)Alexander or McGregor

(RB) Andrew Little

(LB) Gregg Wylde or Steve Smith

(CB) Danny Wilson or Jordan McMillan

(CB) Bougherra or Weir

(RM) Steven Lennon

(LM) Aaron Niguez

(CM)Kevin Thomson

(CM) Edu or Ness

(St) John Fleck

(St) Kenny Miller or Boyd

Smith might not go for this, but i have been hoping since around the start of last campaign that he would give a lot of first team experience to the most talented youngsters we have.

It is a long time since we done something like this and with the financial state not allowing us to sign ANYONE it is imperative he brings through youngsters now instead of playing the same 16-18 first team players.

If he doesn't do this then Rangers won't win the league a few years down the line as the squad of upcoming players wont be strong enough to compete at first team level.

There are so many young players really kicking off now and putting the pressure on for first team experience, so it'll be interesting to see where Smith can play them, or not as the case may be.

The ones i have listed in the team are the ones I feel are the most likely to succeed, but there are a few others i like the look of. But theres no doubt in my mind that the likes of Little, Wilson, Wylde, Fleck, Aaron, Mcmillan, Lennon, Ness, Loy, Elmslie, Efrem and Shinnie have what it takes to make it with the correct first team experience.

Trying to mix a few of them in a first team with the more experienced players will be a challenge for Smith, and one he hasnt really been proven to do in the past except for maybe the odd few per year. But, as i mentioned, the lack of signings means he now HAS to put the youngsters in because theres no way the squad of 18 or thereabouts we have will be able to play another 50-60 games and win all the trophies the fans demand.

So, i'll be watching where he tries to put the youngsters in to bring them through this season.

Fleck will be the only youngster to start for us on more than one occassion. The others will probably make fleeting appearances as substitues.

I like the look of the team though but like Stefanovitch said, why no Naismith?

And I think you didn't include Naismith because you assume he's now an established first teamer.

I have to disagree with you re Naismith. Ask me again in December or January when half the SPLs fixtures have been played and my opinion may hve changed.

I think that team is a recipe for disaster. I'd predict 3rd place at best with it.

it's not a team that would play every game, as i said in the post.

They would play, at most, once a month in lesser fixtures in the league and cup.

I understand your concerns too, but if you read what i wrote under the team, can you not see why it is time to try and push these guys through to first team experience with lesser important fixtures?

Edited by John Barr

I think that team might be useful for, say, CIS cup ties. Couple of points though: Isn't Lennon more of a central striker? He wasn't too impressive on loan to P. Thistle. And I think you didn't include Naismith because you assume he's now an established first teamer.

Spot on!

You got it right, the others didnt use their brain cells lol:fish:

Yes, i may have overlokked Naismith because i see him now as a first teamer, if not, pushing for a regular slot whereas the others are just entering into the first team.:thup:

As for Lennon, ok he can be seen as a striker, but i have seen him play on the right as an attacking midfielder, and it may just be my opinion, but with his speed and good technical ability i see him as a useful right midfielder.

He is not too hot at tracking back though.

Edited by John Barr

If you play that team in lesser fixtures in the league it will be 3 points dropped more often than not.

Or are we forgetting that, despite being champions, we actually struggled often times last season against the so-called "weaker" teams ??

The way to bring through youth is to give 1 or 2 (maybe 3) a handful of games to see if they can handle the situation. If they can then they can remain in the team although not, I would suggest, as regulars (dependent on form AND physical & mental well-being).

No team should just be putting out a team of youngsters - your team John has about 7 youngsters in the team and I reckon that is too many.

Nice idea but given we only won the league on the last day of the season AND that we struggled at times against the teams you suggest we use them against would be folly in my opinion.

CIS Cup - I would have no issue with using the youngsters in that - but some fans would be screaming blue murder if the youngsters got put out as there is an expectation that we win EVERY game. Is that the type of hostile atmosphere you want them subjected to ?