Next Rangers manager is not Ally McCoist?

Would much prefer Ally McCoist. Ian Ferguson? Thanks, but no thanks.

I've got no idea which of them would make a better manager, and as Norris points out, fergie's got more experience, albeit at a lower level. Why do you prefer McCoist?

There is one difference between Fergie & McCoist. Fergie at least has experience as a MANAGER. McCoist is an underling who hasn't carried out the main man's duties.

I am with you BD, I am curious as to why Shroomz believes that McCoist is a better bet as manager than Ferguson. Fergie has went to a new franchise and created a team from scratch - and pulling off the signing of Robbie Fowler was a bit of a coup (regardless of him being in his twilight years).

I have no idea who would be better but to dismiss Ferguson out of hand whilst preferring McCoist is a strange one as the experience of neither is scintillating.

Would much prefer Ally McCoist. Ian Ferguson? Thanks, but no thanks.

He has more managerial experience than McCoist.

Ian Ferguson was only appointed Manager of that little diddy outback team last September & has no other coaching experience at all AFAIK. Ally McCoist on the other hand, joined the Scotland coaching staff under Walter Smith in 2004 & as we all know, left the Scotland staff along with Smith to become his assistant manager at the Gers in Jan 2007. During his time coaching Scotland & Rangers as Walter Smith's assistant, McCoist has been offered at least one SPL managerial position. There's also the matter of Smith saying Ally was fully in charge of the 07/08 Scottish Cup winning team. There were some poor performances & times we had some luck in that Cup run, but lets not forget that Paul Le Guen had us papped out of both Cups before he left midway through the previous season.

McCoist has essentially served a 5 year managerial apprenticeship under Walter Smith and gained a huge amount of experience along the way; international squad coaching & assistant managerial experience; 2 & a half years of coaching & very high levels of assistant managerial experience with Rangers including a run to a UEFA Cup final, winning an SPL title, 2 Scottish Cups & one League Cup.

Ian Ferguson has a bit of catching up to do on someone like Coisty, since for all intents & purposes Fergie's lagging by about 4 years & a vast amount of experience.

Edited by Zappa

Ian Ferguson has a bit of catching up to do on someone like Coisty, since for all intents & purposes Fergie's lagging by about 4 years & a vast amount of experience.

I accept all your points except this one. Ian Ferguson was an assistant manager for 4 years before taking the top job at Queensland, "diddy outback" league or not

I accept all your points except this one. Ian Ferguson was an assistant manager for 4 years before taking the top job at Queensland, "diddy outback" league or not

Not sure of the specifics, but he may have only became a full-time assistant manager a year or so before getting the manager's job, since he was still playing for them in the 05/06 season. I'm assuming he spent a couple of seasons as a player/part-time assistant. Anyway, I see your point. :)

I'd probably prefer McCoist too as although his experience is as an assistant it is at a far higher level. It would, to some extent, be similar to the way Smith worked his way into management.

Though I do accept that Ferguson has experience of being numero uno.

Which do you prefer, the greater responsibility or the higher level of competition?

Was in the gym today and watched his team get gubbed 5-0. The team was all over the show.

TBH Fergie was a great player for us, but he does not have any real Managerial experience to get him in the door at Ibrox. One day maybe, but it is a long way off.