Looking Good For Pot 2 >>>

RANGERS are just two results away from being promoted to Pot Two in next week's Champions League group stage draw.

The Ibrox club have been monitoring play-off matches this week as a couple of results going their way would mean they avoid being pitted against a raft of Euro giants such as Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Juventus in the Monaco draw next Thursday.

Walter Smith's side sit second top in Pot Three. But they need two from four teams seeded above them - Arsenal, Lyon, Sporting Lisbon and Panathinaikos - to fail in the qualifiers. And that could well be on after this week's first leg results.

Lisbon were held 2-2 at home by Fiorentina on Tuesday night, and the Italians are now favourites to finish the job next week and book their place in the group stages.

And last night Atletico Madrid beat Panathinaikos 3-2 in Greece to take an iron grip on their tie ahead of the return leg in Spain.

With Arsenal favourites to see off Celtic next week, and Lyon hammering Anderlecht 5-1 last night, Rangers' hopes almost certainly rest with Fiorentina and Atletico.

It would make a huge difference to Walter Smith's side if they can jump up a pot - as they would then avoid a host of big guns currently in Pot Two.

Smith is well aware that, whoever Rangers draw, it is going to be a stern examination of his squad over six matches.

But if they can leap into Pot Two they may well land a kinder draw and have a fighting chance of doing something in their section.

Uefa have confirmed Rangers will get the entire Scottish TV money allocation if Celtic go out to the Gunners. A total of �£5.8m has been set aside - with the Ibrox club already claiming �£3m as champions - and they will bank a further �£2.8m if Tony Mowbray's side don't make it.

Rangers will also be handed a �£2.3m qualification bonus from Uefa, as well as a �£2m match fee for their six games, meaning they will bank a guaranteed figure of just over �£10m before gate receipts and any points bonuses, should their Old Firm rivals go out.

Provisional seedings based on Champions League play-off round first-leg results:

POT ONE: Barcelona, Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester United, AC Milan, Arsenal, Seville, Bayern Munich.

POT TWO: Lyon, Inter Milan, Real Madrid, CSKA Moscow, Porto, AZ Alkmaar, Juventus, Rangers.

POT THREE: Olympiakos, Marseille, Dinamo Kiev, Stuttgart, Fiorentina, Atletico Madrid, Bordeaux, Besiktas.

POT FOUR: FC Copenhagen, Wolfsburg, Standard Liege, Maccabi Haifa, FC Zurich, Rubin Kazan, Unirea Urziceni, Debrecen.

Publication date 20/08/09

Have put my preferred draw in terms of progression in bold and my preferred draw for glamour/money in italics... :cool:

Shows how important it was to win the league, even more important to retain the title this season to help us get on a more even keel with the MOPES,financially.

As for the draw mmmmm, think I'd prefer AC Milan, Dinamo Kiev & FC Zurich, mind you I don't know how these teams are doing in their respective leagues,not too fussy tbh as I still see the CL as a bonus............I want to retain the title more than anything

If Pot 2

Liverpool

Rangers

Dinamo Kiev

Debrecen

If Pot 3

Chelsea

Real Madrid

Rangers

FC Zurich

Pot 2 we would have a great chance of making it through.

pot 3 i would like to see some glamour games and hope we do well.

Haing watched them last night I'd want to avoid atletico madrid. They looked pretty good

Ideal draw

Chelsea/Barca

Rangers

Olympiakos

Urina/Debrecen

Yeh, that'd be a great draw. Agree about Atletico. That Aguero is awesome. If we draw them it negates the value of being in Pot 2.