The Beautiful Game - Leaving the working man behind

Just about everything is overpriced in this country these days Cammy. The average smoker spends between �£35 & �£50 a week to service an addiction to a legal drug that's destroying their body & increasing their chances of getting cancer. A lot of so called poorer families somehow manage to spend between �£40 & �£60 a week on some dodgy & expensive take-away food instead of going shopping & cooking healthy food. You could go on & on with these types of examples as well.

Football isn't a drug, nicotine is.

Not all entertainment is overpriced. On Saturday, we took our nephew for the day and it cost us a total of �£20 (for the entire day). We had him to the local steam railway and it cost us a pound each for entry then we went to a local park to feed the ducks. Most of the �£20 went on the 'picnic' and if I'm honest, it could have cost a fraction of that.

Football isn't a necessity, it is an option or a past time. Helping running a RSC has opened my eyes as to what some people chose to sacrifice to follow football.

If you are lucky enough to be able to afford football then you take it for granted that everyone there can afford it. That is not always true.

Cammy F

Btw, I'm not trying to say that football isn't expensive, just that it's actually in line with the crazy cost of living, especially sought after luxuries. Anyone checked out the price of big venue concert tickets these days? Cliff fcuking Richard & the Shadows are doing a UK tour in Sept' & October & ticket prices range from almost �£60 all the way up to about �£200 to go and see some 60's bible bashing ponse play all his shitty old songs. :fish:

Btw, I'm not trying to say that football isn't expensive, just that it's actually in line with the crazy cost of living, especially sought after luxuries. Anyone checked out the price of big venue concert tickets these days? Cliff fcuking Richard & the Shadows are doing a UK tour in Sept' & October & ticket prices range from almost �£60 all the way up to about �£200 to go and see some 60's bible bashing ponse play all his shitty old songs. :fish:

You're just gutted cos you're having to fork out for the �£200 tickets.

Not all entertainment is overpriced. On Saturday, we took our nephew for the day and it cost us a total of �£20 (for the entire day). We had him to the local steam railway and it cost us a pound each for entry then we went to a local park to feed the ducks. Most of the �£20 went on the 'picnic' and if I'm honest, it could have cost a fraction of that.

Supply and demand?

As i have recently turned 18 now my dad has told me i have to pay for the tickets myself now, although i think he may go in halfs with me for each game !

My dad until now payed for all the league game fixtures, then i had to cough up for the extra Scottish, CIS & European cup tickets !

I have always toke this for granted but maybe now with me left school, only having a part time job i might not take it for granted anymore. Already thinking what i can cut back on etc, so i can get to all the home games, attend a couple of away games and hopefully a european trip !!

At my age it's tough, mates always wanting to go out for a bevy, out for a drive which normally leads via McDonalds or something ! Cost for insurance for the car for me is crazy money ! etc etc etc

As i have recently turned 18 now my dad has told me i have to pay for the tickets myself now, although i think he may go in halfs with me for each game !

My dad until now payed for all the league game fixtures, then i had to cough up for the extra Scottish, CIS & European cup tickets !

I have always toke this for granted but maybe now with me left school, only having a part time job i might not take it for granted anymore. Already thinking what i can cut back on etc, so i can get to all the home games, attend a couple of away games and hopefully a european trip !!

At my age it's tough, mates always wanting to go out for a bevy, out for a drive which normally leads via McDonalds or something ! Cost for insurance for the car for me is crazy money ! etc etc etc

spliff.jpg???

or

Taken.jpg

I think if you look at football in a cold, unemotional light it's way overpriced for what you get.

Imagine being a Kilmarnock supporter where you're lucky if you win a game, never mind a trophy, the football you're watching most of the time is probably pretty dire with the best skill on display coming at a time when your team are being taken apart by one of the OF.

Even the atmosphere in a third full stadium with under 5,000 people isn't that great.

But it's the imponderables that keep people going, it IS an addiction like nicotine and sometime quite masochistic and illogical at that.

People will pay because they don't want to miss it, they want their team to do better and because of the competitive nature, they HAVE to be charged more to pay more every year to the same standard of player or less, because if they don't they'll be relegated and miserable.

The more money that goes into the game, the higher the same top players wages get as teams jossle to get their signatures and this ripples all the way down until you get to a level where there is no money and players just have to leave the game.

Players used to be well off but now a pretty average player is typically a multi-millionaire - and that's where your money is going. If you don't think it's good value, that's the bloke you should really be complaining to.

The anomaly we get is when there is fantastic amounts of money at the top of the game in some parts of Europe or even UK and a declining amount of money elsewhere in the lower reaches.

That's why SPL teams are charging more to pay more for players with a declining skill level while their revenue streams start to dry up.

The teams become less attractive to watch and kids will all prefer to watch the higher levels at the OF while enjoying the realistic chase for glory and trophies every season - it doesn't even cost much more, and you get far better TV and media coverage.

Who really wants to support Kilmarnock when being an OF fan is far more enjoyable and in the end much better value for money?

However, the circumstances that happened to Kilmarnock, are now happening to the OF, but the saving grace is that, if you want to support a team in the flesh you're not going to start supporting Man U when you live in the central belt.

The OF are becoming the only gig in town and the main reason the crowds are not yet subsiding at Ibrox and Parkhead, is the migration of young fans from the lesser teams.

That ironically makes the SPL weaker and the OF fans more frustrated with the quality and desperate to leave to greener pastures. However, the longer the disparity in TV money with the likes of the Premiership, the bigger the gap becomes even for the OF to bridge and survive.

Football has changed out of all recognition in the last decade and either it will all implode in the credit crunch, or keep going while decimating the smaller clubs and end up with a franchise model. It's a model where local teams are mostly amateur and there are only about 50 proper clubs left in the UK - with only 3 or 4 from Scotland, if not just 2.

It's all a bit depressing really and if you're a Kilmarnock fan, who could blame you for giving up and spending your 20 quid or more on a match day elsewhere.

People will pay because they don't want to miss it, they want their team to do better and because of the competitive nature, they HAVE to be charged more to pay more every year to the same standard of player or less, because if they don't they'll be relegated and miserable.

The more money that goes into the game, the higher the same top players wages get as teams jossle to get their signatures and this ripples all the way down until you get to a level where there is no money and players just have to leave the game.

That was one of Bluedell's points, but something I'm trying to get across is that reduced ticket prices doesn't necessarily have to mean decreased profits if playing to a full house most weeks.

either it will all implode in the credit crunch

Hopefully. The best thing that could happpen to the English Premiership in particular would be for all the clubs to die on their arse and the league get ripped up and start again. It's become a freakshow down there.