David Murray - The Definitive Guide to a Living Legend

We're (nearly) all hoping he goes and the club can breathe again. Maybe he will sell and there will actually be cause to mark his passing. In the meantime, it's not an opinion, it's a point of fact that he remains in control of the club and nothing of any significance can be changed without his consent. So why the orchestrated media campaign to suggest he is stepping down? Why do it?

If I'm being optimistic, Murray stepping aside is the precursor to major events in the coming weeks. Lots of rumours about his mate Traynor breaking a consortium bombshell in the near future. Watch and wait I suppose.

If I'm being optimistic, Murray stepping aside is the precursor to major events in the coming weeks. Lots of rumours about his mate Traynor breaking a consortium bombshell in the near future. Watch and wait I suppose.

Yes, could be. Trouble with all things Murray is that we've heard it all a dozen times before. The oldest game in the book is to survive by consistently telling people you're intending to leave. "Lot's of rumours" would be a fitting epitaph for the Great Boaster.

You have to wonder what the new Chairman's responsibilities will be.

Running the club on a day-to-day basis? No. Bain will continue with that, and bain will probably have even more say on dealings with the press, and as such, don't expect the club or its support to be defended any better.

Deciding on annual/six-monthly transfer budgets? Possibly, although hardly taxing.

Chairing quarterly board meetings. Most definitely, but this will have little impact on the running of the club.

I caught a little bit of Spiers on RC on the way home tonight and he said that the new Chairman could be involved in setting up some global deals and perhaps was able to open doors in markets where Murray didn't have access.

S_A asked yesterday why he wasn't doing that sort of thing already, given he had been on the board for 5 years. There appears to be 2 possibilities. Either murray didn't give him the authority or he didn't want to or wasn't able to. Neither of these scenarios fill me with joy.

Spiers also speculated that one of his major responsibilities was to find a new owner of the club. On the face of it, that's for Murray's benefit and not the clubs.

Now we all know that Spiers knows next to nothing about anything, but even he may have overheard more informed sources talking, and as such his musings should at least be considered.

It's more than 24 hours since the big announcement, and, along with MF, I don't see that the appointment of a new chairman will make much difference.

It's most likely a ploy to try and flush someone out of the woodwork. If there was a consortium lined up, why would Murray step down now and go to the trouble of appointing a new chairman? Doesn't really seem to make sense.

It's most likely a ploy to try and flush someone out of the woodwork. If there was a consortium lined up, why would Murray step down now and go to the trouble of appointing a new chairman? Doesn't really seem to make sense.

Totally agree BD. If big/major news of Murray selling was imminent, it wouldn't make sense to step down shortly beforehand. It's probably more likely as you say, that it's 'a ploy to try and flush someone out of the woodwork'. There's also a very slight possibility that news of him selling is indeed on the horizon, but that he's not 100% confident about the buyer/s & is stepping out of the roles of responsibility he held before the deal actually goes through. Although I personally don't think he'd do that to the club after all he's done in the past 20 years, there's a possibility that he's just had enough of the support that's publicly hating him & calling for him to get out of dodge. As I've already implied though, I think he's probably just wanting less to do with the club on all fronts & for many different reasons, although the timing does seem odd, possibly suspicious.

I don't think his departure from the board room signals an imminent sale. Remember, this isn't about selling the club, it's about Murray selling his shareholding. It looks more like he can't or won't sell his shares and has little or no interest being involved. The upshot is more likely to be entrenched stagnation with the only decision maker being increasingly detached and the board being deprived of power to make or carry out policy. Whatever way I look at this it seems to be the worst of all possible worlds.

For him to orchestrate a media campaign to deflect the truth from the clubs supporters is beneath contempt.

Murray always gets weary when the finances come back to bite him and we have nothing to spend.

I think the club will now be run differently and without MIM's financial backing. We'll have to spend within our income and at the same time reduce the debt to under 10M in the next few years.

While that may make us more prudent and on an even keel, football clubs thrive on having a rich, powerful and charismatic owner, who can front the club with presence and prestige.

SDM actually did that on many occasions and in doing so brought in the likes of Advocaat, PLG, convinced numerous players to come, and attracted financial backing from the likes of ENIC and King.

He had the ability on the right occasion to go that extra mile and sanction that extra spending, using his vast wealth as a guarantee for more borrowing.

We have lost that for the moment which could make us a bit more ordinary.

A super-rich chairman's ego can lift a club out of the ordinary, and clubs managed tightly like a normal business are rarely exciting or very successful.

If I'm not mistaken, the RFC share price dropped to a 5 year low point this month with this months slump knocking around 25% off the share value. Overall, the shares are only worth about 30% of what they were worth about 4/5 years ago. Seems to me that now would be a time for buying shares if possible, but who's gonna be selling them if they've just dropped 25% in value??