Chris Burke. Was it a mistake to free him?

As for Burke, let's not beat around the bush. His 'family ties' never went down well with the support and being so injury prone just exasperated the situation.

That said, in my opinion he's by far the most talented player to come through the youth system in recent history and to be honest I don't think there was ever a real problem with his attitude. If he reaches his true potential then we might well regret letting him go, but all things considered we didn't have much option.

I don't really get your point :confused:.

Much like the playing and coaching staff (and UNLIKE the owner), if his performance is poor and the support let their feelings be known, then sooner or later he'll be replaced.

I think basically his point is Martin Bain is a complete numpty.

I couldn't care less if he had a ST for them while he was playing for us. In fact, having one of their 'own' sticking the knife in is something I'd consider an equisite pleasure, to be revisited over and over again, cf Neil McCann.

But he delivered virtually nothing in his last 2 years, and there was a game against I think Dundee Utd where he dived worse than Eduardo and McGeady's bastard love child. I know they're all at it but I hate to see in from a Rangers player.

So nah, we did well to get rid of.

I couldn't care less if he had a ST for them while he was playing for us. In fact, having one of their 'own' sticking the knife in is something I'd consider an equisite pleasure, to be revisited over and over again, cf Neil McCann.

But he delivered virtually nothing in his last 2 years, and there was a game against I think Dundee Utd where he dived worse than Eduardo and McGeady's bastard love child. I know they're all at it but I hate to see in from a Rangers player.

So nah, we did well to get rid of.

Your comparison with Neil McCann is well made and blows the catholic nonsense out of the window where it belongs. McCann could be as infuriating as only wingers can be but over the piece he made a really good contribution to Rangers and was held in great regard by the support. Chris Burke also had talent but the fact remains we hardly ever saw it.

As for Burke, let's not beat around the bush. His 'family ties' never went down well with the support and being so injury prone just exasperated the situation.

You must know more than me mate. The thought of his family ties has never even crossed my mind and its a point Ive never picked up on in over 5 years on this forum.

TBH if the family ties didnt go down well with any supporter then that supporter shouldnt call themselves fans of the club.

You must know more than me mate. The thought of his family ties has never even crossed my mind and its a point Ive never picked up on in over 5 years on this forum.

Well my point was that it wasn't Burke himself who was a Parkhead season ticket holder, but speculation that other members of his family WERE, coupled with his being singled out as the "F'n-yin in the blue" didn't exactly endear him to the more hardcore bluenoses of the support.

TBH if the family ties didnt go down well with any supporter then that supporter shouldnt call themselves fans of the club.

Couldn't agree more, but you'd find a large number of bears would say the same about you for suggesting it.

Well my point was that it wasn't Burke himself who was a Parkhead season ticket holder, but speculation that other members of his family WERE, coupled with his being singled out as the "F'n-yin in the blue" didn't exactly endear him to the more hardcore bluenoses of the support.

Couldn't agree more, but you'd find a large number of bears would say the same about you for suggesting it.

I might not exactly have my ears to the ground on this but surely the comparison with Neil McCann is valid here. Were the same "hardcore" supporters also badmouthing McCann? If not then maybe there was something else about Burke they didn't approve of.

I think there is a tendancy to play up a residual anti-catholic element where it largely doesn't exist. I thought Amoruso and Albertz could do not wrong and I believe most of the so-called hardcore thought the same. Play well for the Rangers and you can be a martian for all it will matter to any supporter.

I think basically his point is Martin Bain is a complete numpty.

Have to disagree. MF was suggesting it was pointless criticising Martin Bain when we should be having a go at David Murray (his employer) instead.

The difference between Murray & Bain is that we CAN force the removal of Bain.

That would say more about them as fans that it would say about Gribz. Surely we have progressed from primitive beings ?

I might not exactly have my ears to the ground on this but surely the comparison with Neil McCann is valid here. Were the same "hardcore" supporters also badmouthing McCann? If not then maybe there was something else about Burke they didn't approve of.

I think there is a tendancy to play up a residual anti-catholic element where it largely doesn't exist. I thought Amoruso and Albertz could do not wrong and I believe most of the so-called hardcore thought the same. Play well for the Rangers and you can be a martian for all it will matter to any supporter.

I wasn't suggesting an anti-catholic element, but much like Ross McCormack (and unlike Albertz and Amoruso) it was suggested that Burke was a Cel'ic fan as other members of his family were season ticket holders.