Boyd to Leave

Stay or Go?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Stay or Go?

• Go
    • Stay

Dont agree with Boyd = goals = title. So the people saying this are saying without Miller, Davis, Weir, McGregor etc we will still win the title just as long as Boyd is in the squad?

What about the defensive saves Bougherra, Weir and McGregor / Alexander make - surely if they are not there to prevent conceding goals then we may not win the games.

A team / squad = title.

And I seem to recall a few good wins last season plus the opening day of this season with boyd not scoring yet that wins = goals.

Boyd contributes! More so in the games like Hamilton, Killer etc. yes of course we still need to pick up the wins in these games, its all part of contributing over a season.

No one is saying that. You're just getting all upset because its Boyd.

There are about 4 or 5 players who if we lost (and we wont replace them) it makes it infinitely more difficult to win the title and hands the advantage to Celtic.

Guys like Boyd, Bougherra and Davis are integral to our title bid. Losing any one of them weakens us and hence weakens our title challenge.

No one is saying that. You're just getting all upset because its Boyd.

There are about 4 or 5 players who if we lost (and we wont replace them) it makes it infinitely more difficult to win the title and hands the advantage to Celtic.

Guys like Boyd, Bougherra and Davis are integral to our title bid. Losing any one of them weakens us and hence weakens our title challenge.

Not at all.

Not since having the individual quality of Laudrup, Gascoigne, Albertz, De boer would i single out players who would badly dent our title hopes. If we had a player in that mould being sold on then id say it really weakens us.

These days its very much a team game for us. Id put Bougherra as our most important player at the moment but if he is sold Id still say we have a good chance of retaining the league. If we lost Bougherra, Mendes and Davis then id be really concerned about losing the title. But Boyd, i still think we could win the title no problems without him.

Not at all.

Not since having the individual quality of Laudrup, Gascoigne, Albertz, De boer would i single out players who would badly dent our title hopes. If we had a player in that mould being sold on then id say it really weakens us.

These days its very much a team game for us. Id put Bougherra as our most important player at the moment but if he is sold Id still say we have a good chance of retaining the league. If we lost Bougherra, Mendes and Davis then id be really concerned about losing the title. But Boyd, i still think we could win the title no problems without him.

Have to disagree Gribz. If we lose Bougherra then we will lose the league IMO. The reason being that we have absolutely no replacements for him. We would be asking a 39 yr old guy who lacks pace to play alongside either a 17 yr old untested youth or someone who is not a CB.

Weir & Wilson - Wilson has potential but very concerning to ask him to play all the time.

Weir & McCulloch possibly the slowest CB pairing ever to play in Scotland ?

Weir & Edu Edu injured. Not a natural CB. Never played there in Scotrland. Very risky.

Weir & Broadfoot Broadfoot out till November (or somewhere around then). So who plays in meantime ? And even then I am not convinced Broadfoot is suitable to CB - is his natural position but I get the feeling he would cost us goals.

Weir & Papac Papac never looked that good at CB when he first came to the club, although he could do a job there I suppose. Again though, wouldnt instill me with confidence.

As you can see, all the options have Weir playing - I shudder to think what our CB pairing would be if Weir was injured or suspended.

A CB pairing of McCulloch and Broadfoot anyone ??

This is the reason I see Bougherra as absolutely pivotal in us having a chance to retain the league. Very good player who becomes infinitely more indispensable when you consider the lack of other alternatives should he leave !

Not at all.

I will agree that Bougherra would be the biggest miss of all. I agree with Craig's assessment that we would be badly struggling without him.

I would then contend that Boyd would be the next biggest miss. If Mendes went, we would have Davis, Thommo and Edu for CM. Same if Davis went. In fact we've shown an ability to cope somewhat without most of them.

Who would score Boyd's goals if he went. Sure Miller and Lafferty might get a few more each, but I don't think we'd make up the shortfall in the goals for column and hence drop more silly points.

Of course selling one player does not mean we will definitely not win the title. But selling one of our key men, particularly with such a small squad, would make it a hell of a lot more difficult.