Why is Kevin Thomson not in the Scotland Squad ?

McManus. :confused:

I'm sure McManus played for Celtic post-split last season. Still a long time out and I wouldn't have picked him but I think Burley had no other choice but to play him against Macedonia as we were without Caldwell and Berra.

I'm sure McManus played for Celtic post-split last season. Still a long time out and I wouldn't have picked him but I think Burley had no other choice but to play him against Macedonia as we were without Caldwell and Berra.

I agree with you Gav.

The difference between the situations is quite significant IMO. McManus was out for some time same as Thomson, agreed. However, we were badly struggling for starters at CB.

I dont think we were struggling as much in midfield for starters. Thomson wouldn't have got a start and you would only bring him on in the case of injury.

In McManus' case, there were fdew options anywhere, starters OR squad members.

In any case, I am glad Thomson didnt make the squad as he would get just as much benefit staying at Murray park training as he would with Burley et al.

I agree with you Gav.

The difference between the situations is quite significant IMO. McManus was out for some time same as Thomson, agreed. However, we were badly struggling for starters at CB.

I dont think we were struggling as much in midfield for starters. Thomson wouldn't have got a start and you would only bring him on in the case of injury.

In McManus' case, there were fdew options anywhere, starters OR squad members.

In any case, I am glad Thomson didnt make the squad as he would get just as much benefit staying at Murray park training as he would with Burley et al.

I'm not saying the situations are identical.

However, we are struggling for quality players all over the park.

So lets not hide behind match fit and game time as Burley has proven time and again he doesn't care about that. He might say one thing, but his actions another.

At least Smith, for example, is consistent. You might not agree with his reasoning, but time and again he'll make the same correct decisions as he sees it.

As I say we struggle for quality all over the park. And we're not even talking about starting here, just in the squad.

Either match fitness is an excuse or it's not. You can't pick and choose when it suits your agenda.

Thomson is arguably the best Scottish midfielder about these days. Burley is shooting himself in the foot not picking him. And whilst he falls back on his experience line; the longer he doesn't pick him, the longer Thomson doesn't gain experience and the longer the country does without one of it's best talents.

Hartley, Dorrans, Alexander, Rae, Brown, Fletcher.

Think that was the central midfield options.

Not even Fraser will argue that in terms of quality Thomson should not be in there. And if he's fit enough to start for Rangers he's fit enough to start for Scotland.

Calm yer jets SA, Tamsin will be in the next Scotland squad. :thup:

Much like Alan Hutton though it will be several caps too late.

The "experience" excuse or other related ones are a real bugbear of mine.

Oh for a Capello type manager who just picks the best available players rather than introudcing frankly irrelevant criteria.

Why is age/"experience"/number of previous caps weighted so much more heavily in a manger's mind than current ability to play the game known as football? :confused:

I didnt say it was identical, but it is, IMO, far from the same too.

As far as I am aware, Burley has not used "match fitness" as an excuse for not including Kevin Thomson. It is still being used by some because of the Boyd scenario. But at no time has Burley said that Kevin Thomson isnt in the squad due to lack of match fitness - unless I missed that statement. And I think this is the most pertinent of points. Where does he mention Thomson wasnt included due to lack of fitness ?

You CAN pick and choose when it suits your agenda though, it is his prerogative as national team manager to do so. If there are no other suitable alternatives to START the game at CB then I would pick McManus, even if he is lacking in match fitness. I disagree that you have to remain consistent with it because at times you may be forced into playing, for example, a completely untried 16 yr old (who is match fit) or a seasoned pro lacking in match fitness. In a crucial game it is relatively easy to argue that the seasoned pro should be used.

I admire Kevin Thomson's play a lot, but should he have been starting ahead of Brown or Fletcher ? Given he has had very little competitive action in 9 months it is very hard to justify that. I think you are reading into the situation what you want. Thomson is not match fit yet. He has barely played in 9 months and yet you are suggesting that Burley is simply ignoring him without good cause. Surely 9 months out with a serious injury and then very limited action is justification in itself to not include him in the squad. You may say "but what about McManus" but the reality is that we kind of NEEDED McManus whilst we could get by without Thomson because Brown and Fletcher were always likely to be the starters anyway. I highly doubt that Burley will continue to ignore Thomson once he is fit and playing regularly.

I also doubt that Burley is using the experience line for not picking him, otherwise why bother bringing Dorrans into the squad in the first place ?

The reality as I see it is that Scotland didnt "need" Thomson last night.

Not for one minute am I suggesting that he isnt good enough for the squad because he is. And good enough to start too. But at this point of his comeback ?

I like your line about being good enough to start for Rangers then he should be good enough to start for Scotland. Part of the reason he started the Hearts game was that Mendes was injured. Otherwise there is a fair chance he would have been on the bench for that game too.

Whether we like it or not it was always going to be Brown and Fletcher last night. Thomson was not going to break that duo up.

I dont see it as being one rule for McManus and one for Thomson. There is a difference IMO.

Much like Alan Hutton though it will be several caps too late.

The "experience" excuse or other related ones are a real bugbear of mine.

Oh for a Capello type manager who just picks the best available players rather than introudcing frankly irrelevant criteria.

Why is age/"experience"/number of previous caps weighted so much more heavily in a manger's mind than current ability to play the game known as football? :confused:

Where has Burley stated that Thomson isnt in the squad due to lack of experience ?

Craig I can't be bothered getting into most of that.

Why talk about Brown/Fletcher?

Why are they relevant?

The thread is about the squad. Not starting.

What it comes down to his Thomson is one of the best midfielders in the country and is fit.

Whether Burley didn't pick him for experience, match sharpness or because he doesn't really rate him is irrelevant. What it does show however is that Burely has not got a clue. When the vast majority of your squad are shit you cannot afford not to pick a top quality player.

Why pick him when he would be clicking his heels on the bench ? And surely it IS relevant if Burley doesnt rate him a she is the national coach who selects the squad.

I fail to see why you are getting so het up about it. Kevin Thomson 1) likely would not have changed our fortunes last night 2) possibly wouldnt have even made the pitch and 3) by not making the pitch would not have got a cap anyway.