is it bad to feel happy about a decent bit of journalism when that-journaled is so sober and grim?

Much as I'd love to stand behind the barricades and berate the writer, there's actually precious little to argue about in that article.

Everything happening at Rangers these days confirms one central truth. The present path stretches far ahead and there is no change on the horizon. And change is the one thing we need in spades right now.

Sad and frustrating times.

Smith offered a new three-year contract?

I really don't know whether to laugh or weep at news like that. At least it let's us know that all ambition has finally been swept from the club.

I feel so privileged, having known this club when we still had pride and purpose. If nothing else, it means I don't have to pretend that retaining Walter Smith is anything but sad capitulation.

I really don't know whether to laugh or weep at news like that. At least it let's us know that all ambition has finally been swept from the club.

I feel so privileged, having known this club when we still had pride and purpose. If nothing else, it means I don't have to pretend that retaining Walter Smith is anything but sad capitulation.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong WS getting a new deal but who would you go for then if we got rid of WS?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong WS getting a new deal but who would you go for then if we got rid of WS?

Frankly, I've no idea right now. Which in no way undermines the opinion Walter should go, it just means I have no particular idea what budget we would make available for a new management team or who might generally be considered available.

Most successful Rangers managers have previously been associated with the club in some way (Struth, Symon, Waddell, Wallace) but few have had any real experience as a manager before assuming the role, so I'm inclined to think the list of possible managers might be a lot longer than the usual names that do the rounds on fans' forums. In any case, the fact is that the task doesn't fall to you or me, whoever we might fancy for the job, so the issue is actually fairly academic. As a supporter I'm looking for a more expansive approach to our style of play, an ability to foster and develop young players, a recognition of the paramount importance of an effective scouting network, a profound intent to rebuild the lost bond between club and supporters and, if possible, a willingness to rediscover the core values of the great Rangers institution pre-Murray. Not much to ask for, is it?:)

a profound intent to rebuild the lost bond between club and supporters and, if possible, a willingness to rediscover the core values of the great Rangers institution pre-Murray.

24.9.8Souness250.jpg

Not so much as manager, but back at the club as part of a consortium. Why does his name keep cropping up re. consortiums?

Which clubs sack succesful managers and go on to greater success? :confused:

Barcelona sacked Rijkaard and the following season won an unprecedented treble with Guardiola :thup:

I think that one qualifies.......