Graham Spiers - 'Cowardly Rangers turn a blind eye to bigotry'

In the case of the Daily Mail, there has been direct communication with Michael Walker to the effect that he has been "sussed" and Rangers fans will look elsewhere for objective reporting. Walker has responded stating he made efforts to contact the Assemby (no record of any contact) as well as Ally McCoist, The Police Service of Northern Ireland, Strathclyde Police, Nil by Mouth and a Celtic Supporters Group but only had responses from Souness and Strathclyde Police. He stated he did not get the balance right in his article and "..should have made reference to the tiresome and offensive nature of some of Celtic fans' chanting..". He stated he would be in touch if he returned to the same subject.

I would send this paragraph to all those Rangers fans who can't be arsed writing e-mails, or put it off till "tomorrow", or don't think it makes a blind bit of difference. Well done to every Bear who gave this snake a piece of their mind. It gives me a great deal of satisfaction that another Liewell mhedia monkey knows we're on to them.

:cheers:

I really am sorry to disagree with everyone else again - I'm not just saying that, I'm fed up being odd man out - but this part of the statement would be an open goal were it to be implemented. In particular the line 'this guy is out to damage us' can be swiftly turned on it's head to 'no, YOU are damaging Rangers, you just don't realise it.' I can't say I agree much with that sentence I've written, but it's what I would say were I GS. And the part about reporting only on the match is a bit thin; anyone who goes anywhere has a perfect right to say what they like about it, whether it be the weather or the half time cuppa. Spiers choses to concentrate on his milch-cow, namely driving sales and hits by writing mildy controversial nonsense. We can't tell people what to write, whether we like their effluent or not.

It's easy for me to sit here and criticise, I just wish we could get out some watertight chastisement of yer man rather than what sounds a bit like whinging. He's an easy target, let's hit him!

That apart, well done to them for trying. That sounds mean and patronising, it isn't meant to be.

Good for you. I'm with the thousands of Bears who wont be satisfied until this stain is banned sine die from Ibrox.

I don't feel any need to be agreed with by thousands. Neither do I consider weight of numbers to be an indicator of the strength of an argument. So if I'm in a minority of one, I won't lose any sleep over it.

He won't be banned. Not this year or next. Given what he's written before, without being banned, there's just no chance of it happening. Far better, I reckon, to issue something in a tired and resigned voice, saying 'yes, we've heard it all before from this guy. We notice he's at it after Celtic lose, what a coincidence.'

Destroy him through denying him the attention he clearly craves.

He won't be banned. Not this year or next. Given what he's written before, without being banned, there's just no chance of it happening. Far better, I reckon, to issue something in a tired and resigned voice, saying 'yes, we've heard it all before from this guy. We notice he's at it after Celtic lose, what a coincidence.'

Destroy him through denying him the attention he clearly craves.

Couldn't agree more! Publicly, making the guy look like the idiot he is shouldn't be particularly difficult at all, whilst getting our knickers in a twist about him & banning him from Ibrox would just be playing right into his hands. He'd love it.

I don't feel any need to be agreed with by thousands. Neither do I consider weight of numbers to be an indicator of the strength of an argument. So if I'm in a minority of one, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Unfortunately for you, it is quite often a good indicator of the strength of an arguement. (Though of course there are exceptions and it is dependent on the company you are in).

On here there's a lot of intelligent people who think the head in the sand approach to dealing with Speirs is doomed to failure. The fact that so many reasonable and intelligent people think your stance foolhardy would give more humble people pause to consider their position.

Edited by Super_Ally

Gabriele Marcotti uses his Times piece to back Celtic's man at the paper's view on the F�¼ck the Pope issue.

"But reading this Spiers piece about hearing a supporter shout "F�¼ck the Pope" during a recent Old Firm game got me thinking about just why context matters. I believe that free speech should be protected, but I also believe that, in certain situations, it should be curbed.....In the case Spiers outlines, I think it's pretty simple. There are very valid historical and safety reasons why such speech at a football match is unacceptable."

Local criticism from Spiers, Grant etc is one thing but adverse publicity like this from a widely read and respected journalist who contributes to the Times, Sports Illustrated, several international publications and broadcasts on BBC's 5 Live is an entirely different matter.

Spiers may or may not have invented the incident but whatever the truth he has succeeded in generating adverse publicity we do not need.

TIMES.

Speirs might be a buffoon, but his crusade can still damage us. :ffs:

Marcotti is Italian born, so it's not exactly surprising that he'd dislike the concept of ANY club's football fans chanting *F*T*P*.

The point, though, is that Marcottis is more credible and is in fact probably more widely read in England than Scotland. He reaches a greater audience with more stock put in what he says. But he would unlikely comment at all without that cock Speirs twisting the knife.

Speirs crusade has led to Marcotti speaking out against us and blackening our name across the UK.

But it's ok because Andy says just ignore him and he'll go away. No harm done.

But it's ok because Andy says just ignore him and he'll go away. No harm done.

No, Andy suggested that the club somehow issue a statement on the issue that's designed to make GS look silly & simply bitter after Celtic losing to us, since we've seen the same antics from him several times before after we've beaten Celtic. Suggesting any sort of way to try and discredit the muppet isn't exactly burying your head in the sand & imo would be a better course of action than banning him from the club, hence the reason I said I agreed with Andy so I'm not quite sure why you've dropped me a groan, but thanks for it anyway. :P

Andy said BOTH actually, which is counter-intuitive to me.

He says issue a response saying "yes, heard it all before......."

And then says dont give him the attention he craves.

Sorry but responding at all gives him attention and regardless of what the response is he will twist it to his own ends.

But the club taking the "dignified silence" will NOT help at all.

As S_A says, ignoring him does NOT help - he just gave an example of how Speirs' biased reporting has resulted in a wider spread audience.

The fact Marcotti is Italian born is IRRELEVANT to the issue of the club's name being sullied.

Much as though we all want to ignore Speirs, the club does so at its own peril knowing only too well that this odious little tramp is "chip-chip-chipping" away at the very moral fibre of our much respected club.

Why doesn't he bang on about the Tims and their repertiore ? Why doesn't he bang on about the great work in the community Rangers do ? Why doesnt he bang on about the things we do for the servicemen of the country ?

Because it doesn't meet his agenda. And his agenda ? Well, we all know......

Burying our head in the sand could see us in a terrible position, dont be fooled that it cant.

Sadly, even if the club DO take action his venom wont cease. But at least the club will be able to get out the other side to Speirs lies and mistruth's.