Graham Spiers - 'Cowardly Rangers turn a blind eye to bigotry'

The guy works for a newspaper that has a readership of less the 30,000. The Dandy and the Beano sell better FFs.

two things you can do. dont read his column and dont listen to Snyde. Contact both and let them know what you are doing and why.

Then get two friends to do the same.

It was this type of pressure that cost him his last job at the Herald and it will cost him his job now.

If the combined will of the fans can produce a document like the SST report then surely they can deal with a cretin like Speirs.

chuckyarla mr Speirs!

So what's the general level of enthusiasm amongst the wider support (people you speak to, other forums etc etc) that anything is likely to come of the wishes of the RSA & RST on this subject? Do you think people genuinely believe that the club is willing to discuss these things & potentially change as much as the fans would like bearing in mind that AJ is in the US & MB is running the club here in Glasgow?

My reading of the 'Rangers public opinion' is that people are sceptical. This is down to Rangers' past record. But AJ is here now he's Bain's new boss. They may have a discussion and new input may result in a new approach. There's only one way to find out.

I can't help wondering if this is something actually likely to happen or if this whole subject is potentially something that the RSA & RST are latching onto to rally support from the fans by leading them to believe there's something being done on their behalf, when the reality is that nothing substantial is actually likely to change at all. All of the available facts & information we have points to this.

See above mate. What I would say, it that feel free to wonder about the RST's motives if you like, but I can assure you that this is not something being latched onto on a self-serving basis. People in the Trust have worked hard on the Spiers issue and people I've spoken to genuinely think "enough is enough" and know fine well what he's doing. Can't speak for the Assembly.

Unfortunately, the fans have no official voice when it comes to the decisions Rangers takes so the best that can be done in the meantime is to make representations on behalf of members and let those members know what they're doing. If there are better and more likely avenues that supporters groups can take then hopefully somebody will let me know what they think these might be.

Thanks for the reply UCB. I'm probably being overly sceptical on this particular issue, but as you say it's based on past record, so I'll leave it at that & just say that I'll be interested to see what transpires from the efforts being made.

The guy works for a newspaper that has a readership of less the 30,000. The Dandy and the Beano sell better FFs.

two things you can do. dont read his column and dont listen to Snyde. Contact both and let them know what you are doing and why.

Then get two friends to do the same.

It was this type of pressure that cost him his last job at the Herald and it will cost him his job now.

If the combined will of the fans can produce a document like the SST report then surely they can deal with a cretin like Speirs.

chuckyarla mr Speirs!

These are good ideas for a kick-off. Every Rangers fan has the ability to do this sitting at their pc.

That said, circulation figures do not necessarily prevent someone causing trouble. He wasn't exactly writing for the NOTW the last time.

Thanks for the reply UCB. I'm probably being overly sceptical on this particular issue, but as you say it's based on past record, so I'll leave it at that & just say that I'll be interested to see what transpires from the efforts being made.

That's fair enough Shroomz and, as I say, being sceptical is understandable.

The ball is with Martin Bain. You can lead a horse to water and all that....

Do you not think it's ok to talk about what these people like Spiers, Martin & co are writing about Rangers as long as we don't have links to the article on their employers website which gives their website hits & AD revenue?? That's why I deliberately didn't provide a link to the article in the OP.

I'm cool either way tbh. If we don't talk about these things, we won't end up arguing about them either which is never that nice to see if things go a bit too far, but the majority seem to think we shouldn't bury our heads in the sand.

You didn't provide a link but you had the entire article in the OP.

Everyone on here knows what he's about and we also know the club are going to do fuck all about about it.

I'm not suggesting we bury our heads in the sand, just that we refrain from posting his drivel on a site which I frequent partly to avoid the sort of shitty, biased "journalism" he and his ilk tap out week after week.

Every article he writes get posted on here FFS!!!!!!

I'll ask again: Mods, can we have a poll whether or not the gersnet readership would advocate the banning of his articles from the site as a point of principal

I wouldn't mind an answer this time by the way......

You want to ban links and copy/pastes?

Yep. Just asking for a poll to see what folk think. Sick of coming on here and reading his pish. Granted I could ignore the thread but an outright ban would suit me better. We might even get in the papers for it from a friendly journo!

Why do admin need to start such a poll cotter? Any of us can create a poll & in the case of what you're suggesting, if the result after say a 2 week period was a resounding YES to the idea of banning GS related articles, then it would probably be something that Admin would seriously consider. Or am I missing something? :confused: