When the Walterites' resort to quibbling over whether he has spent �£32.5m or �£27.5m, you realise there really is no argument at all.

Well, I don't think there are any Walterites but you know when people are on dodgy ground when to attack the manager, they have to highly exaggerate stuff and then attack people when their figures are not accepted. Where is the argument there?

Pretty hollow to imply your argument is better because someone doesn't agree with your dodgy figures... A bit strange in fact.

I've said it a hundred times before and I'll keep saying it until that joyous day when he leaves the manager's office for the final time - while the club's problems run deeper than the on-field management, Rangers will not progress an inch while Walter Smith is in charge.

So going from 19pts behind and no trophies one season then 17 points behind and out of both cups at the first attempt in only half a season, to Winning the league and three cups in two seasons, with the worst results being runners up in the league by 3 points on the last day due to fixture congestion and runners up in the other cup, isn't even one inch of progress?

Yes, your arguments are really strong.

Like I said there are no Walterites, but there are people who don't subscribe to such obviously outlandish logic.

9IAR? Manchester? Double? History, other than for the delectation of the Head In The Sand Loyal.

So people who think a manager who achieves so much isn't the worst manager around have their head in the sand? Great argument, make nonsensical claims and those that don't agree with you are blind?

If history is nothing then you've nothing to base any criticism of Walter on - he would have nothing to live up to.

If you want to focus on the present, we are currently we're top of the league and in all competitions - in isolation how can you deny that makes him a decent manager?

The more I read your strange logic, the more I'm baffled about what you're on about. Ironically simple challenging of your arguments quickly makes everything look really rosy at the moment. Your points actually do the job of make Walter look better than he is.

Obviously everything isn't perfect and there could be problems on the horizon, but maudlin about stuff that is not real, dismissing and ignoring the vast majority of the evidence that doesn't fit your agenda, just sounds like you like to be miserable and to make everyone around you miserable too.

If we're going to have a debate about Walter, can we at least keep it balanced - and based on reality?

We are going backwards at an alarming rate. A complete fucking shambles.

Yes we're going backwards, our money is worth less and less every year as it is dwarfed by our neighbours' earnings, meaning the same money buys lesser players every year, and our youngsters are more interested in computer games and pies than playing football meaning that Scotland is producing very little talent.

But hey, we need a scapegoat.