Our youngsters this season

I've heard good things about Lennon, but then I've been hearing them since he first played for the first team three years ago and he's four years older than Fleck, so I'm doubtful whether he's got what it takes. Interesting to see him get a game at Dens Park the other week though.

Do you mean McMillan mate as Lennon didn't play against Dundee?

Like you, I heard a lot of good things about Jordan over the years but he didn't do all that ell at Hamilton on loan last season eitther so probably hasn't developed as well as he'd have liked.

you may well see most of the names mentioned in the seasons to come as murray park will have a big part to play given our financial predicament at the momment but while we have an experienced squad we will be using them first.

i do think we could have used them more than smith has though.

Do you mean McMillan mate as Lennon didn't play against Dundee?

Like you, I heard a lot of good things about Jordan over the years but he didn't do all that ell at Hamilton on loan last season eitther so probably hasn't developed as well as he'd have liked.

I meant Lennon, though I was wrong about him playing at Dundee. I remember Lennon making his debut up at Pittodrie at the end of the 2006/07 season - THREE seasons ago.

There does seem to be a recurring trend at Rangers of youth players "showing great promise", then at 22 they're still there, rotting in the reserves. There was a string of them in the 90s - the Gibson brothers, McHale, McShane, McGinty, Fotheringham, Fitzgerald, Lee Robertson etc.

These lads are always going to be hyped before a variety of factors reduce their potential far enough to result in them leaving.

A few manage to drop down the leagues and make us wish we'd kept them but generally, most disappear for ever.

PS: McHale played for Dundee against us and did OK - as did Gary MacKenzie who I thought did well when he played a couple of first team games a while back for us.

These lads are always going to be hyped before a variety of factors reduce their potential far enough to result in them leaving.

A few manage to drop down the leagues and make us wish we'd kept them but generally, most disappear for ever.

PS: McHale played for Dundee against us and did OK - as did Gary MacKenzie who I thought did well when he played a couple of first team games a while back for us.

I agree, not many big clubs have a string of players from the youth ranks graduating into first choice players. I think the Man U team of 10 years ago has exaggerated the potential of home grown youth in many eyes.

A top team needs the top players in the country and it would be a massive coincidence to find most of them in their own back yard.

The most successful clubs consistently build their teams by buying the best talent available they can afford, from everywhere - and that includes Man U.

You can probably produce the odd great team from your own ranks but it will be the exception, rather than the rule. Usually it won't last long, not least because big will clubs make you offers you can't refuse (or the player can't refuse) for your best talent.

The time we stopped doing that was the early 80's when most of our money was going to the new stadium and Alex Ferguson was having his magic spell at Aberdeen and McLean at Dundee Utd (look where they have been since).

We started doing it again with Souness and Celtic joined us after McCann saved them from disaster. We then only finished outside the top two when we again stopped spending and relied on more of our youth players...

See the pattern?

Young players are always hyped by wishful thinking but don't you think it's strange to prefer untried teenagers to tried an tested and still young, experienced, internationals - even if they haven't been playing great lately?

Don't you think young international players (Thomson, Davis, Naismith, Whittaker, Edu, Boyd, Lafferty) who have already commanded �£2 - 4M transfer fees are a probably better bet than someone who has looked pretty good against U19 SPL teams?

Then with our older players, would you really choose say McMillan before Mendes when the latter has won the CL? Or trust Wilson before a wealth of experience from the likes of Weir?

Ideally we need more high class international players in their mid to late twenties like Bougherra, but we can't afford them at the moment. Given what we actually have, who can blame the manager for prefering the tried and tested - especially when you consider, if you take Weir away the average age is one of the lowest in living memory - well mine anyway.

Like they say, if you're good enough, you're old enough, but to actually be good enough to get picked you have to be the best (fit/unsuspended) player in the squad for your position. Have any of our youngsters shown without doubt that this is the case?

If they have, then they should definitely be a first pick. But somehow I don't think any of them pass that test of "Old enough" - yet.

We seem to put players in the first team out of necessity, instead of choosing the time and place. Little in the Tim game, Wilson when there was no one else to play in the position. Both were on the bench v QOS, yet when we were up 2-0, Smith brought McCulloch on as Sub.

Hopefully the last week will not only have given the young players confidence, also WS the confidence to play them.

We seem to put players in the first team out of necessity, instead of choosing the time and place. Little in the Tim game, Wilson when there was no one else to play in the position. Both were on the bench v QOS, yet when we were up 2-0, Smith brought McCulloch on as Sub.

Hopefully the last week will not only have given the young players confidence, also WS the confidence to play them.

Walter has to play them or will have to come january. Its not through choice though, its through nessesity.

How many Scottish youth teams do really well in even World competitions but we never seem to bring it through to full international level. Not just a Rangers thing it seems to be across the board in Scotland. My only answer is that at youth level we are physically stronger but later our technique lets us down. I still blame that in the poor grass root football coaching and compitition.