Yet again walter smiths tactical ineptness has been brought to the fore on the European scene and again he seems to escape with little or no critisism. His teams performances have Ranged from cringeworthy to totally humiliating but no one ever questions the lack of direction or ability of his teams on the big stage.

Hes had somewhere in the region of 8 attempts in the European cup/ CL and has fallen flat on his face bar one season in 1993. Even the fortunate Uefa cup run was a direct result of failure in the CL.

This season we have seen probably the worst performances ever on the European stage. And Smith looked like a complete amatuer with his team selections tactics and decision making. So why does he escape the critisism that should come with his failings. its very plain to see that he just doesnt have what it takes to compete at CL level. Stevie wonder can see that. But not a word in the media.

Alex McCeish won a treble and a double and qualified for the Cl knockout stages with no money to spend yet was hounded out of Ibrox because the football wasnt good enough. Yet we are all led to believe that Walter Smith is some sort of legend for winning a one horse race 6 times with a sackful of cash first time round and blowing 30 mill the second time round for 3 domestic cups and a league title with a brand of football that wouldnt look out of place in a sunday league.

Smith is no Rangers legend in my eyes. his second tenure has brought the club to its knees with the Kunaus dibacle being a very pivotal point in the clubs demise. If you need to study bad management of football club its a very good place to look, its god everthing from poor tactics, bad decision making, the squandering of transfer funds....etc. Our manager is guilty as hell for our current financial predicament.

If your honest you will see smith for what he is. A second rate manager who was very fortunate to have a chairman who was very loose with his cheque book. That is how smith beat everyone in the spl. He battered them with with murrays wallet. it certainly wasnt throught the skill and guile the Bill Struth spoke off.

And now that the wallet is no more he has had to depend on his own managerial skills only to find that he doesnt really have very many.

And hes been severely found out. Its the beginning of the end indeed for smith. No murray for the smokescreen and mirrors to cover up his shortcommings or buy him out of trouble. Just a mirror to reflect in the could have beens the should havebeens and the might havebeens.

There really is no where for walter to hide this time round. and it really is time for him to go.

But, by the end of his third season, 3 years into the Goodison hot-seat (aka: the poisoned chalice!), Walter Smith was under unprecedented pressure:

* Everton were playing utterly awful football with little spirit or creativity.

* Despite injuries, the available players appeared to be poorly prepared for each match.

* The 4-5-1 experiment had mostly been a complete disaster.

* Smith had a bizarre aversion to playing wingers, despite having Tal and Alexandersson.

* The policy of buying aging injured players had backfired badly.

Sounds familiar.

This is a club with a healthy respect for tradition. We held on to Advocaat longer than we should have. We held on to McLeish beyond his sell by date and we persevered with PLG at least ten minutes longer than was good for us ..... so we'll bloody well stick with Old Father Time until the sands of the Sahara slide into the sea.

This is a club with a healthy respect for tradition. We held on to Advocaat longer than we should have. We held on to McLeish beyond his sell by date and we persevered with PLG at least ten minutes longer than was good for us ..... so we'll bloody well stick with Old Father Time until the sands of the Sahara slide into the sea.

We'll "bloody well stick with Old Father Time" as long as he's winning us the SPL. [refer to my previous post]. :(

I'm not happy with that but, until some billionaire with a blue nose arrives, that's the way I see it.

I clicked the thanks button as you said we stuck with PLG longer than we should have. Apparently this incompetent should have got more time, though I expect that is due to him holding a foreign passport.

I clicked the thanks button as you said we stuck with PLG longer than we should have. Apparently this incompetent should have got more time, though I expect that is due to him holding a foreign passport.

Your consistency is next to your Godliness. ;)

Jock Wallace was an inspiring manager who deserved the respect he earned on all sides. Souness could manage, a real leader with money to back it up. Advocaat could manage with money, but not very well. His ego kept getting in the way of the players. McLeish did Ok while he had Advocaat's players, after that it was dreadful. Whatever PLG was, his tenure was farcical. Walter is taking Rangers on a stroll to nowhere but hey he's Walter and he's entitled.