Keane Linked With Sunderland

Roy Keane is being linked with a sensational return to football as manager of Sunderland.

The club refused to state Keane was on the brink of being handed the job, however they confirmed talks with "a high-profile figure" were ongoing with a view to a swift appointment.

The Black Cats slumped to a 2-0 defeat at Bury on Tuesday in the first round of the Carling Cup, a result which came on the back of four straight league losses.

Niall Quinn, the chairman-manager, decided to relinquish all coaching duties after the Gigg Lane shock and announced his intention to appoint a "world-class" new boss.

Manchester United legend Keane has no prior management experience, which would make him raw to the job rather than of established pedigree.

However he enjoyed enormous success during his playing career and as a former United captain is a recognised leader.

Quinn also knows him well, the pair having played in the same Republic of Ireland side for many years.

Sunderland said in a statement: "No new managerial appointment has been made at this time.

"The club is in discussions with a high-profile figure and is hopeful an announcement will be made in the near future."

Keane, 35, retired as a player in June, after a short spell with Celtic during which he helped the Bhoys win the Bank of Scotland Premier League and Scottish League Cup.

He ended a 12-year association with United in November 2005 and fulfilled a lifetime ambition by joining Celtic on an 18-month deal.

He managed only 13 appearances for the Hoops before quitting on medical advice.

With his body ravaged after cruciate ligament and hip operations, Keane had no choice other than to follow doctor's orders, and - should he be confirmed as Sunderland's new boss - there seems no prospect of him combining management with playing at the Stadium of Light.

Well that will cut off any chance of Rangers players going there.

You can see Quinn is a gambling man, being a good player does not mean you are a good manager. He would be better starting his management career at a lower profile club. If he fails at Sunderland it could ruin his managerial career.

Yeah i just read this, after Quinn saying he had a world class manager in place for there next game. Now I cant remember Roy Keane being a world class manager. :D

That stands out in my mind aswell, "A world class manager"..............................................................Roy Keane ???

World class player.... yes in his day. World class manager?.... has to have been in charge of a team first to get that kind of praise. :D

Quinn talks alot of sh*t man, you cant seriously expect the Sunderland fans to believe he only took the job to wait for a world class manager to become available.... and then announce Keane as the manager.

World class player.... yes in his day. World class manager?.... has to have been in charge of a team first to get that kind of praise. :D

Quinn talks alot of sh*t man, you cant seriously expect the Sunderland fans to believe he only took the job to wait for a world class manager to become available.... and then announce Keane as the manager.

Yeah agrees, he realised he is shite and is now quitting. Big fud!

He comes across as Mr nice guy but he bugs me when he talks and i know Colshy cant stand him either :D

hate that guy with a passion:mad:

Glad to hear it Colshy, im with you all the way.

How much did sky sports go downhill having him and Jamie fuckin Redknapp on there programs. 2 guys who talk shite, especially Quinn who comes across as "Mr Look at Me Im a nice Chap and smartly dressed" - Your a fucking wankbag Quinn you big toss!!

He deserves to fuck up his job and i hope sunderland go down to league 1

Glad to hear it Colshy, im with you all the way.

How much did sky sports go downhill having him and Jamie fuckin Redknapp on there programs. 2 guys who talk shite, especially Quinn who comes across as "Mr Look at Me Im a nice Chap and smartly dressed" - Your a fucking wankbag Quinn you big toss!!

He deserves to fuck up his job and i hope sunderland go down to league 1

i always get the impression he thinks he`s johnny hardbaws! some of his dress sense is criminal too!