RST - we can't go on like this

We have all watched the RST over the years, some at closer quarters than others, and the consistency is there for all to see. We mostly all agree in the principle of the thing but increasingly share equal dismay at the underachievement of it all. There is now a broad consensus that those who are setting the pace and direction at the RST are woefully out of their depth and utterly ill-equipped for the task.

And still I see too many people reluctant to reach a conclusion, even after all the wasted years of incompetence. Even with some believing the club is at a crossroads and an opportunity emerging for supporter participation, only very few seem prepared to declare a settled opinion on the RST as it exists today. For the life of me I cannot understand this.

What exactly is it that anyone could possibly think is worth salvaging about an organisation that has failed so badly to deliver its stated mission? What is to be gained by persisting with this cold war pretence, other than leaving a barrier in place to real progress and yet another decision left unteaken?

There is or at least should be no place in this for politically correct distraction where the RST is concerned. They tried, they failed, they continue to embarrass. The people involved in running the RST today are generally not what is needed and in many cases are in active conflict with a growing body of non-aligned supporters. No one else can step up to the plate while these people continue in office and they most certainly have no appetite to step down themselves; ergo there can be no satisfactory outcome, no unity or direction while these people persist. This is not a personal statement, it is a practical reality.

Please, stop this partial accommodation for the institution and deal robustly with the problem in front of our eyes, the people concerned. They need to go and they need to do it quickly. This will only happen if we, the ordinary supporters, acquire a collective voice and tell them to go. Not by inference of suggestion but by loud demand. We need clear, unambiguous language; we need to stop beating about the bush and we need to call for a new board to be elected to the RST forthwith. If those currently holding office are so desperate to remain in post, I'm sure they will be able to throw their hat into the ring, although I think they would be better advised to put the club before their narrow self-interest and accept the due consequence of the last two wasted years.

I'm asking everyone who reads this to help create a solution rather than continually describing the problem. Send an email to the RST demanding that they announce an early election for a complete new board and let them accept an electorate comprising existing members and anyone who joins and pays a membership fee between now and the end of January 2010. By the end of February next year we could have a democratically elected RST with a credible constituency and a mandate from it's members. If the RST doesn't respond or comply than the conclusion is already in place ... they no longer have any right to claim a role in the representation of Rangers supporters.

Edited by maineflyer

As much as I can understand your frustration, I don't think reorganising the RST is agreeable at this time just because of the disappointing vocal actions of a few elsewhere.

After all, there are still at least the same number of people again working hard in the background who are not interested in the squabbling we've seen in the last couple of days.

Much better to channel your frustration into asking the correct questions of all fan groups and any potential owner. You'll obtain varying levels of success on that but the Trust are not the only group acting on our behalf. Other options are/will be available.

Hey Frankie,

As you know well enough, it's a lot more than some recent vocals from the usual suspects. It's five years of waste and it's a future that won't be any different without change.

The problem I was trying to highlight isn't about procedures or constitutions, it's about the apparent lack of will to move beyond the problem we all know is there and the accommodation of that problem because we have too many commentators think change is about describing a process.

You can call it frustration but I might say it's less a comment about those who obviously know no better than an observation on those who could do something about it but won't. Let's read those rules again, just in case there's some interesting ambiguity we could debate until the last cow passes the gate.

I don't expect for a moment that many of our principal commentators will write to the RST demanding anything. It's not done old boy.

The RST's stated mission is to deliver ownership to the support. Bit premature to say they've failed especially as they're making steps to effect this.

How many years then? Two, three, five? Well we've passed those deadlines so how about ten years, will that be enough?

And what step are they taking, exactly? Do you have inside information the rest of us don't? Or are you just talking about talking about talking about taking steps? They're excellent at that right enough.

Face it, it isn't working. It needs a clearout and a fresh start. Like any organisation trying to improve, we need better people. How it happens is less important than that it must happen. This is actually the only way the RST can be saved.

As a sidepoint if the RST voiced the opinion of the typical Rangers fan they'd probably be content with the pish state we find ourselves in. There's educated people on here who don't have a clue, never mind the typical Ibrox punter.

How many years then? Two, three, five? Well we've passed those deadlines so how about ten years, will that be enough?

And what step are they taking, exactly? Do you have inside information the rest of us don't? Or are you just talking about talking about talking about taking steps? They're excellent at that right enough.

Face it, it isn't working. It needs a clearout and a fresh start. Like any organisation trying to improve, we need better people. How it happens is less important than that it must happen. This is actually the only way the RST can be saved.

Thanks for responding. Was there a timescale at the outset of the RST? You'll have to forgive my ignorance on that one, I wasn't part of the Trust from the start. If not then I don't see why there needs to be now? Especially as it's plain for all to see that a supporters owned club is now far more likely than it ever has been. Surely, even if the RST are not SOLELY responsible for this (whilst still playing a part) then it's mission accomplished?

As a sidepoint if the RST voiced the opinion of the typical Rangers fan they'd probably be content with the pish state we find ourselves in. There's educated people on here who don't have a clue, never mind the typical Ibrox punter.

Very dismissive generalising...

Care to enlighten those educated people then?