Trouble in Seville Pub

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2765554/Rangers-fans-in-riot-hell-police-were-lashing-out-at-anyone.html

SHOCKED Rangers fans told last night how brutal Spanish riot cops laid into them at random in Seville.

Several suffered head injuries as the cops swung their batons at Scots trying to flee violence which broke out in a pub.

There were chants of "police brutality" after the frenzy just 200 yards from Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium, as supporters made their way there for Gers' Champions League game.

The riots erupted as hundreds gathered in the street and in the local Lizannan bar - when Seville fans came in the back door and threw bottles inside.

Craig Hindle, 20, of Leeds, said: "A lot of fans ran out the front door.

"But police arrived in numbers and started lashing out at anyone they could find.

"Me and my uncle were taken to the floor and battened."

Grandma Moira Livingstone, 52, of Govan, Glasgow, wept: "I was just walking when I heard running behind me. The police hit my head with a baton."

Terrified staff at the Lizannan pulled down shutters with many fans still inside. Barman Felix Teran said: "Fans were drinking all day.

"They were not eating anything. Our toilet was broken and windows smashed. We got no help from police."

Rangers security chief Kenny Scott said: "I have been told there are some baton injuries. I am seeking to speak to the Seville police commander to establish what happened."

Last month, Rangers were fined �£18,000 for trouble at the Unirea match in Bucharest.

I'd imagine every club has their fair share of such minor incidents but our reputation and our national media means undue attention is placed upon us unfortunately.

I've seen the Spanish riot police in action, they laid into us (Scotland fans) in a water fountain in Ibiza when all they had to do was ask us to leave the water fountain. They nearly killed a girl that day, blood pouring from her head and I got a tear gas cannister in the face.

I tried to ask a policeman afterwards why they reacted in such a way but he just put his gloved onto my face and pushed me back against a wall saying something in Spanish.

The Rangers support were perfectly well behaved inside and around the ground.

But that doesn't suit the agenda, so we have managed to turn a group of Spanish hooligans attacking Rangers fans into our fault again.

I didn't see the incident, but I did pass the pub in question around 70 minutes before kick off and it was a pleasant atmosphere, with Rangers supporters enjoying themselves, the police standing watching in a relaxed manner, and plenty of good-natured banter between bears and the Seville fans making their way to the stadium.

On arriving at the stadium, I asked the stewards if there had been any hint or reports of trouble to that point, and he was happy to report that so far everything had went really well.

There was reports of a scuffle circulating around kick-off time, which is obviously the incident that the press have so eagerly picked up on.

Try as they might, the fact that this bar is well outside UEFA's geographical juristiction, and was caused by Seville fans, will mean no trouble for Rangers from UEFA, so poor Timmy and the scum mhedia will have to wait until next season now to continue their campaign against their own country's most successful club.