Rangers 3 - 0 St Johnstone: Player Ratings and MoM Poll

I couldn't make the game on Saturday unfortunately. However, I heard Davis was outstanding. Is this correct?

Heard Allan Preston gave Davis as his MoM on the radio but everyone in my car found that a bit strange.

As usual he flitted in and out of the game, played a few excellent passes, played some very poor ones and generally didn't get forward enough for me.

Probably a good description of his whole season so far.

I thought it was a decent all round team performance with no real stand-out player.

My MOTM would be Boyd, but with honourable mentions for Beasley, who might have sneaked it had he played the full game, as we went flat after he went off, and Thomson, who I slag off often enough but he was much better yesterday, and again I thought the team dropped a level after he went off.

I see others have went for Novo, but I thought the wee man had an absolute stinker of a first half, but much better in the second, and although he too often tried to shoot when players were in better positions for tap-ins, I dont criticise him for that as I always want my strikers to have a go at goal.

Davis was great when we went 3-0 up and we were hitting them on the break, and this is definately when we see the best of him, when he is moving forward with space in front of him.

As for early contenders for POTY, there are only 2. McGregor and Boyd. If both are still at the club come 1 Feb, it could be close between them. I cant see anybody else coming close but worth remembering we are not even at halfway yet.

I know I am blinkered regarding Miller, and I often fail to give him credit on those rare occassions he is due it, but I really didnt think he did all that well on Saturday. Not bad, and certainly an improvement from his garbage European form, but not great. Although I did notice he got a good ovation when he went off, which is rare, so I thought at that time he must have done all right and I was just focusing on others.

A standing ovation? That's a bit embarrassing. A Rangers player playing well against a side as awful as St Johnstone should be bread and butter stuff. Miller's had a shocking season.

That's a bit strong and I disagree,I don't know the stats, but I think Miller has assisted with a lot of goals,ask Boyd.

When you're starting most games at Ibrox in attack you're bound to notch up quite a few assists...6 goals this season isn't good enough.

As I said in another topic, for every good Kenny Miller performance you get 5 bad ones.

Miller has been typical of the whole team - inconsistent: very poor on occasion, very lively on others; but generally average (or just below average).

Only McGregor and Boyd can say they've been above average. Wilson and Weir have also done pretty well but after that the team haven't been good enough.

However, complaining because the fans are happy after a player has had a good game is rather churlish, Totti... :D

IMO Beasley was MOTM on Saturday. Just about every move in the first half cam down the right wing and he created the first goal. The St Johnston defence couldn't contain him. Novo was non existant until the second half.

Great to see some attacking flair on the wing for a change, thought it added a new dimension to our attacking options. Also great to see Broadfoot back. I think that he is actually a better defender than Whittaker even if he is not as good going forward.

I'd have liked to see much more of Aaron (too late) and Beasley in the past few years. I don't think Beasley is a particularly wonderful player, but simply having some pace and a proper wide player on the park would make the world of difference. If Smith just put out a team all playing in their proper positions and asked them to focus on possession and adopt a positive outlook then I think things might be a bit different. Problem with WS and Eck before him (and PLG I guess) is the basics aren't being done.

We could easily have a couple of fast players supporting a main striker. Best football we've played under Smith was against Hibs at Easter Road when we had Cousin through the middle, Burke on the right and Naismith on the left. It doesn't take superstars to put on a performance against SPL teams. He also has near 100 caps for USA which I think is a remarkable achievement for a 27 year old!

Edited by Totti