KEVIN THOMSON will sit out Rangers' trip to play Hibernian this Sunday as he recovers from a calf injury.

The midfielder was forced off with the problem in the first half of last weekend's excellent 6-1 win against Motherwell at Ibrox.

Thomson went for a scan on his calf on Wednesday and it seems unlikely he'll play any part in the three-game sequence Walter Smith believes could have such a massive bearing on Gers' season.

The Light Blues take on Dundee United in midweek then Celtic next weekend and along with the Hibees clash, it looks as though Thomson will struggle to make any of those fixtures.

His absence could pave the way for a return to the team for Mo Edu after he came through his comeback match unscathed on Monday.

The American midfielder played 80 minutes of a 2-1 closed-doors defeat to Partick Thistle at Murray Park and suffered no ill effects afterwards.

Edu has been out since May but is now ready to return, although it looks more likely that Lee McCulloch will start alongside Steven Davis in the middle.

Rangers' only other absentees are Pedro Mendes and Jerome Rothen but the Portuguese star is back and training and expected to be back in action in around three weeks.

Don't want to see any Ranger injured, but Thomson's been atrocious and is no miss at all. Sincerely hope Mo starts tomorrow.

If he plays against Hibs then he needs to hit the ground running. I would have proffered a lesser game for a comeback but we simply don't have any small games soon. The next three games are massive.

Don't want to see any Ranger injured, but Thomson's been atrocious and is no miss at all. Sincerely hope Mo starts tomorrow.

Much as though Edu is a better player than McCulloch I am still struggling to see why people would want someone to come in who has barely kicked a ball in 7 months, against the 3rd placed team in the league.

Add in the fact that McCulloch came on last weekend and played reasonably well in a 6-1 mauling of a team, and also add in that McCulloch has actually been a consistent performer this season - AND add in the fact that he seems to have been a very good foil for Davis so far in recent games it defies logic (in my opinion) that we would be looking to bring in a long term injury victim in such a crucial game.

We are playing well, gaining victories and McCulloch has been a part of that. Keep things the same until necessary.

Get a couple of goals to the good and THEN bring Edu on, IMO

Much as though Edu is a better player than McCulloch I am still struggling to see why people would want someone to come in who has barely kicked a ball in 7 months, against the 3rd placed team in the league.

Add in the fact that McCulloch came on last weekend and played reasonably well in a 6-1 mauling of a team, and also add in that McCulloch has actually been a consistent performer this season - AND add in the fact that he seems to have been a very good foil for Davis so far in recent games it defies logic (in my opinion) that we would be looking to bring in a long term injury victim in such a crucial game.

We are playing well, gaining victories and McCulloch has been a part of that. Keep things the same until necessary.

Get a couple of goals to the good and THEN bring Edu on, IMO

Didn't Ally say Lee was being saved for the OF game, which is why he didn't start that mauling of Motherwell? He's on a suspension threshold which another booking would give him 2 games out, I believe, hence he'd have missed both Hibs and Celtic had he got a card.

So if the same concept applies, then why would he start tomorrow if he was being saved for OF to avoid a booking?

Ally implied he's a cert to start at the Meccanodome; if he starts tomorrow, that is in jeopardy.

Aside from Allan McGregor who will resume duties in goal at the expense of Neil Alexander, the only likely change is the replacement of Lee McCulloch ââ?¬â?? who is only one caution away from a suspension that would keep him out of the Old Firm derby away to Celtic on Jan 3 ââ?¬â?? by Kevin Thomson, who has recovered from injury.

The above is from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/scottishpremier/rangers/6841155/Jerome-Rothen-can-return-to-France-in-January-says-Rangers-manager-Walter-Smith.html

Didn't Ally say Lee was being saved for the OF game, which is why he didn't start that mauling of Motherwell? He's on a suspension threshold which another booking would give him 2 games out, I believe, hence he'd have missed both Hibs and Celtic had he got a card.

So if the same concept applies, then why would he start tomorrow if he was being saved for OF to avoid a booking?

Ally implied he's a cert to start at the Meccanodome; if he starts tomorrow, that is in jeopardy.

The above is from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/scottishpremier/rangers/6841155/Jerome-Rothen-can-return-to-France-in-January-says-Rangers-manager-Walter-Smith.html

Fair enough Danny, I simply didn't take your "I sincerely hope Edu plays" as being a comment based on need rather than wish. It seemed you wanted him to play, presumably at the expense of McCulloch, simply because you didn't want McCulloch playing.

That said though, Hibs at Easter Road is, in my opinion, as difficult a game as the Tims at Parkhead. Play your best team at all times and all that and deal with the consequences should they present themselves.

Tomorrow's 3 points are every bit as vital as next week so we should field our strongest team, which right now includes McCulloch.

If we get a couple of goals to the good, as we are well capable of, we could introduce Edu to the fray to get him game time - which gives us options for the OF - or, if McCulloch gets booked then he replaces him.

Fair enough Danny, I simply didn't take your "I sincerely hope Edu plays" as being a comment based on need rather than wish. It seemed you wanted him to play, presumably at the expense of McCulloch, simply because you didn't want McCulloch playing.

I've described Lee as maybe our best performer this season. I do, however, love Edu and I think his ability in the crucial run in last season, coming in from the cold as he did last season, oddly enough at Easter Road (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=265032&league=SCO.1&cc=5739), where we won 3-2 including the winning goal from him suggests that your fears are unfounded.

That said though, Hibs at Easter Road is, in my opinion, as difficult a game as the Tims at Parkhead. Play your best team at all times and all that and deal with the consequences should they present themselves.

Tomorrow's 3 points are every bit as vital as next week so we should field our strongest team, which right now includes McCulloch.

If we get a couple of goals to the good, as we are well capable of, we could introduce Edu to the fray to get him game time - which gives us options for the OF - or, if McCulloch gets booked then he replaces him.

I think we're well fitted whichever player features, but I believe it would be in our interests to use players in a pre-planned manner rather than having contingency plans in the event of suspensions.

Edu proved last year he doesn't need 'game time' - he's an athlete, possibly one of the best we have, and if he is fit, he is ready.

I've always been of the belief that after coming back from an injury,it was easier starting a game and being replaced,rather than coming on as a sub when it is more difficult to get up to the pace of the game. If a player is fit enough for the bench then he is fit enough to play, but if the players who are playing are not playing bad then it is more difficult for the manager to give someone a game just for the sake of it and yet is a must to get the players back playing. If WS was to start Edu tomorrow ahead of McCulloch I would understand why, but that doesn't mean McCulloch is playing bad,however I'm always reluctant to change a winning team.

What we must avoid at all costs is the situation that we put Thomson in earlier this season , playing players way too early when we already have a thread bare squad is just madness and only puts more pressure on the player

What we must avoid at all costs is the situation that we put Thomson in earlier this season , playing players way too early when we already have a thread bare squad is just madness and only puts more pressure on the player

Aye, but I suppose it all comes down to the individual really,both mentally & phyisically, Broadfoot seems to have stepped right back in no problem.