McCoist draws battle lines

Ally McCoist today gave the strongest hint yet that Rangers will unleash the full might of their deadly twin strikeforce Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller on Celtic on Sunday.

Notoriously cautious Gers boss Walter Smith often goes with just one player in attack in big games away from home ââ?¬â?? including in the Old Firm match at Parkhead.

But speculation is rife he will stick with an on-form front line of Boyd and Miller which has plundered 12 goals in their last five matches.

McCoist, Smith�s assistant manager and closest confidant, can see the Scottish champions lining up with their usual 4-4-2 formation at the weekend.

He said: ââ?¬Å?I think thereââ?¬â?¢ll be a chance weââ?¬â?¢ll go with two of them, although weââ?¬â?¢ve not sat down with the gaffer yet and had a good chat about it.

ââ?¬Å?Itââ?¬â?¢s probably too early to talk about teams just now, but the way Kris and Kenny are playing at the moment, it might just be them and nine others who start.

ââ?¬Å?The lads are performing well, although the same applies to everyone in the team at present. Theyââ?¬â?¢re all creating chances and scoring goals.

ââ?¬Å?Kris and Kenny are doing their bit at this moment in time and long may that continue.ââ?¬Â

Speaking in the Rangers News, McCoist added: ââ?¬Å?Kris, in particular, has really pleased me. Letââ?¬â?¢s be honest, he has been different class lately.ââ?¬Â

Meanwhile, Smith is hoping Steven Naismith could be fit to play for Rangers in the Old Firm clash ââ?¬â?? but DaMarcus Beasley and Kevin Thomson have no chance.

Scotland front man Naismith missed his side�s emphatic 4-1 defeat of third-placed Hibs at Easter Road on Sunday due to a minor knee injury he sustained in training. However, he trained at Murray Park yesterday and Gers gaffer Smith is even hopeful he will be able to feature against Dundee United at Ibrox tonight.

Smith confirmed: ââ?¬Å?We have no new injury worries arising out of the weekendââ?¬â?¢s game with Hibs. The only injured players we have are Steven, Kevin and DaMarcus.

ââ?¬Å?Hopefully, though, they will all be available to play for us when we play Hamilton in the Scottish Cup on January 10. Naismith is touch and go for the Dundee United game and Sundayââ?¬â?¢s game.

ââ?¬Å?We are optimistic he will be involved in one or both of those matches. It is just a little bit too early for Kevin and DaMarcus, but they are not far away.ââ?¬Â

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/ally-mccoist-on-rangers-attack-strategy-1.995230

He should use boyd and miller up front on sunday as we have nothing to lose in this game after all we are on top form and the celtic reargaurd are very vulnerable to attack so why not! 4-4-2 formation and attack them from the first whistle because the longer the mopes have the ball the more confident they will become and we dont want that to happen as they could start creating things, we could play keep ball and frustrate them and attack them at will and then it wont be long before the tackles start flying in from the mopes...

smith has to play a 4 4 2 and go for the jugular. We have a real oppertunity to stamp our authority over the mhanks and show them whos boss. This isnt just about three points. if we cuff this rotten mob on their own dirt it will cause pandimonium amoungst their support and the will be baying for blood from the boardroom right down to the tea lady.

There is a great phsycological advantage to be had here but smith usually leaves his spine at home for such matches. Hell go for the dont get beat at all costs, very much to my dismay as i have forked out 108 quid for three tickets.

memo to mrs smith : pack walters backbone in with his play peice on sunday!

smith has to play a 4 4 2 and go for the jugular. We have a real oppertunity to stamp our authority over the mhanks and show them whos boss. This isnt just about three points. if we cuff this rotten mob on their own dirt it will cause pandimonium amoungst their support and the will be baying for blood from the boardroom right down to the tea lady.

There is a great phsycological advantage to be had here but smith usually leaves his spine at home for such matches. Hell go for the dont get beat at all costs, very much to my dismay as i have forked out 108 quid for three tickets.

Agree go for it Walter.

Should we not be worried about tonights game first or is it postponed?

TBH,I do think he will keep the same team,with the obvious change being probably Wilson for Bougherra. If Beasley doesn't make it maybe he will bring back Whittaker at RM ?, alternatives being Lafferty or Naismith if his injury has cleared up, but as always trying to second guess WS is hard,he may even put Broadfoot in beside Weir with Whittaker in at RB, but for me I'd play Wilson as he has shown he can handle the big occasion and won't let anyone down,and I'd have Whittaker at RM as he is more suited there than Lafferty if Beasley doesn't make it.

Agree go for it Walter.

Should we not be worried about tonights game first or is it postponed?

RANGERS' vital clash with Dundee United definitely goes ahead tonight after a successful inspection this morning of the surrounding areas at Ibrox by the club and police.

Four of the scheduled SPL matches have already fallen victim to the severe weather in Scotland but it's all systems go at Ibrox.

Walter Smith's side will be bidding to open up a seven-point lead ahead of Sunday's New Year Old Firm showdown with a win and, of course, are fresh from a 3-0 victory over United at Tannadice on December 15.

A club statement today reads: "Tonight's match is definitely on. Groundstaff have been working on the surrounding areas and there was a successful pre-match inspection of the stadium and its environs at 11.00am this morning."

I think McCoist's statement could easily be an indication as to how good (make that bad) even those at Rangers consider this Celtic team to be.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind we should be going there with a 4-4-2 with miller and Boyd up top. We could hand then a gubbing the way we are playing. Even if we lose we are still ahead in the SPL race - the pressure is well and truly on them to WIN the game, which should play well for us as we arent under immense pressure.

I think McCoist's statement could easily be an indication as to how good (make that bad) even those at Rangers consider this Celtic team to be.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind we should be going there with a 4-4-2 with miller and Boyd up top. We could hand then a gubbing the way we are playing. Even if we lose we are still ahead in the SPL race - the pressure is well and truly on them to WIN the game, which should play well for us as we arent under immense pressure.

I hope that's the case but we have to remember how badly OF games reflect the form book. I think it will be a hard game and will be happy enough with a draw but would love it if we can turn on our recent style and give a New year show to remember.

I hope that's the case but we have to remember how badly OF games reflect the form book. I think it will be a hard game and will be happy enough with a draw but would love it if we can turn on our recent style and give a New year show to remember.

I agree. But I will tell you one thing for sure.... it has been a VERY LONG time since I have been this confident heading into an OF game. Not necessarily a good thing but certainly shows the form we are in right now.