Big Eck's biggest problem was being unable to spot a player , he failed miserably when bringing in his own players and even with Boyd , if it hadn't been for the previous Doc then we would have missed that one as well

League titles with Rangers:

Walter 7 out of 9 (and was cheated out of his 8th)

Alex 2 out of 4.

Nuff said.

I pointed this out to him immediately and yet he laughably tried to claim he wasn't being selective with his stats. :confused: I specifically mentioned trophies won yet he jsut plain ignored it as it doesn't fit with his wind up merchant agenda.

I pointed this out to him immediately and yet he laughably tried to claim he wasn't being selective with his stats. :confused: I specifically mentioned trophies won yet he jsut plain ignored it as it doesn't fit with his wind up merchant agenda.

You may point out whatever you please, but what you cannot point to is that Smiths stats are better than Big Ecks, that is what the thrust about stats was. As I said, which you selectively missed..Stats and damned lies take your pick, and Big Ecks stats are still better than Smiths, not selective just fact and we wont include the English ones, that is a no contest.

You may point out whatever you please, but what you cannot point to is that Smiths stats are better than Big Ecks, that is what the thrust about stats was. As I said, which you selectively missed..Stats and damned lies take your pick, and Big Ecks stats are still better than Smiths, not selective just fact and we wont include the English ones, that is a no contest.

No, no they're not.

Smith is more succesful as shown by the trophy count. Nice try but you're just looking foolish now.

I have never denied Eck has a better win percentage. But Smith has been the more succesful Rangers manager. ;)

No, no they're not.

Smith is more succesful as shown by the trophy count. Nice try but you're just looking foolish now.

I have never denied Eck has a better win percentage. But Smith has been the more succesful Rangers manager. ;)

You should learn the difference between stats and success, thanks for conceding Eck has a better win percentage. :)

You should learn the difference between stats and success, thanks for conceding Eck has a better win percentage. :)

The numbers of trophies are also stats.

Don't know what they teach at some schools......

Edited by Bluedell

Webash the Mark Twain quote about Damn Lies is a caveat about the use of stats, not a rule that all stats are damned lies. It seems you don't understand stats at all and coincidentally you are attempted the damn lie.

Success in the SPL is not how many wins you acheive or points you gain, it is whether you gain the most points that year compared to all the other teams. Each year is a different competition with different levels of difficulty and so you can't compare wins from season to season with much of a conclusion.

The measure is if you are the best that season. If you don't understand that then you don't understand what a football league is all about.

It seems to me that for a manager to be successful at Rangers he has to win the league at least half the time and compete well in most of the other half. Eck acheived the first but not the second and so was sacked. Same goes for Advocaat. PLG did neither, the same can be said for John Greig. Walter has always achieved both and in both his spells.

7 wins out of 9 is an incredible achievement especially when you consider he lost the two leagues by 2 and 3 points and was robbed of one of them.

Add to that, pushing the league to the third last game with a 17 handicap and only half the season to play and now being 7 points ahead halfway through this season after bringing in one free player in 18 months and you have a manager who competes incredibly well under all circumstances.

The same cannot be said of any other manager since 1978.