SMITH not anticipating any transfer activity at Gers this month

More...

WALTER SMITH does not anticipate any transfer activity involving the current Rangers squad in the final week before the mid-season window closes.

A number of Light Blues players have been linked with moves away from the club in recent weeks.

Kris Boyd has been the subject of much speculation, with Alex McLeish confirming Birmingham City's continued interest in him.

Gers have already acted to keep him at the club, with a contract offer currently being considered by the prolific hitman and his agent.

A telephone enquiry about Pedro Mendes' availability also came from Sporting Lisbon at the start of the year, although they have not followed up with anything more concrete.

The only player who appears likely to move on is Jerome Rothen after his unsuccessful loan from PSG but he has not played since October in any case.

Smith is obviously keen to hang on to his star players with his pool already much smaller than it was last season.

And with no official contact coming from elsewhere with one week to go, he remains confident the pool he has to work with now is the one that he'll continue with until May.

The transfer window usually closes at midnight on January 31 but because that day is a Sunday this year, it shuts at the same time next Monday instead.

Smith said: "It doesn't look like there will be any movement. We've not had any enquiries for any of our players so far as far as I'm aware and I hope that continues.

"With Kris, we're not any further forward. There is obviously continued speculation about what he might do but we just have to accept that.

"That's a problem for all clubs whose players go out of contract at the end of a season and we'll just have to see what happens.

"Certainly at this stage, we're just hoping we can get Kris back in the team over the next few weeks and then we'll take things from there."

Edited by Frankie

Well, we can be positive and say, that's a good thing as it means we're not losing any of our important players...

Or we can be negative and say we're not bringing in any players to supplement a squad that is obviously short on experience.

Either way, I think I've heard the manager say we're not signing anyone before and we've gone onto do so. If we do move Rothen on, then perhaps the money saved from his wage could be put towards another loan player but whether or not that would provide value is open to question.

I guess we'll know in 7 days time.

Well, we can be positive and say, that's a good thing as it means we're not losing any of our important players...

Or we can be negative and say we're not bringing in any players to supplement a squad that is obviously short on experience.

Either way, I think I've heard the manager say we're not signing anyone before and we've gone onto do so. If we do move Rothen on, then perhaps the money saved from his wage could be put towards another loan player but whether or not that would provide value is open to question.

I guess we'll know in 7 days time.

With the bank supposedly holding the purse strings so tightly I would be disappointed if we did not try and reinvest the Rothen wages elsewhere. It is the only room for manoeuvre (sp) we seem to have.

perhaps saving the money from rothen for the next 6 months is what is allowing the improved offer to Boyd? Otherwise how are we able to afford a wage hike? I wish Kyle Lafferty didn't cost as much as he did and was on half the wages he is. I know I'd rather have had Adam plus another for the money that KL is allegedly on... not to mention the transfer fee...

With the bank supposedly holding the purse strings so tightly I would be disappointed if we did not try and reinvest the Rothen wages elsewhere. It is the only room for manoeuvre (sp) we seem to have.

More likely is the bank see this as additional revenue which can pay them off. Their only loyalty is to having their cash returned to them.

If the bank are truly managing the club then they will be looking at Rothen and thinking that :

1. This guy hasnt played for ages

2. He is on X quid a week and not playing, therefore not earning it

3. That is savings which could repay us, the bank.

More likely is the bank see this as additional revenue which can pay them off. Their only loyalty is to having their cash returned to them.

If the bank are truly managing the club then they will be looking at Rothen and thinking that :

1. This guy hasnt played for ages

2. He is on X quid a week and not playing, therefore not earning it

3. That is savings which could repay us, the bank.

True, but they found room in the finances to accomodate his wages to allow us to make the loan signing so they are already accounted for. I guess it depends on whether they have re-evaluated their stance on this given the failure of the Rothen signing.

True, but they found room in the finances to accomodate his wages to allow us to make the loan signing so they are already accounted for. I guess it depends on whether they have re-evaluated their stance on this given the failure of the Rothen signing.

True and one would hope. Our squad is threadbare right now but players will be coming back in the coming weeks - so for me I would prefer we utilised some of the saved wages from Rothen on Boyd, Broadfoot and Novo - new signings could wait.

I HATE the transfer windows these days - never any excitement for Gers fans