The Curious Case of Steven Whittaker

Super_ally examines the interesting conundrum of Steven Whittaker... :thup:

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/2010/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=221:the-curious-case-of-steven-whittaker&catid=1:articles&Itemid=67

Just as the famous protagonist of the Fitzgerald short story confounded his contemporaries in paradoxically getting younger as he aged, in the story of Rangers' season fullback Steven Whittaker manages to embody a similar level of contradiction - delighting and frustrating in equal measure. Though enduring much justified criticism he has managed to become Rangers� third highest goal scorer this season, behind only strike duo Miller and Boyd.

When Kirk Broadfoot returned to the fold at the start of the year most fans were glad as they assumed it spelled the end of Whittaker�s run at right-back. Although Broadfoot was immediately restored to the first XI, he has been rested on occasion to facilitate his recovery from injury and Rangers have benefited from this squad rotation with Whittaker scoring another highlight reel goal to put Rangers on the path to victory against his former club.

As with another former Hibernian full-back that progressed to the Rangers first team Whittaker, much like Ian Murray, has not be helped by his own versatility. In the modern game, where the ability to fill more than one position can ensure you a place on the team sheet come match day. It can also be a curse, leaving you slumped on the bench with the knowledge you can fill in for a number of positions over the course of a game should the manager need to make a change. Furthermore, the lack of a recognised favoured position can mean a player never gets a regular run in one position, cannot effectively learn the role at the top level and struggle for form.

On this front the support are definitely divided. Is he best on the left or the right? Should he play at fullback or further forward as a wide midfielder or even utilising his athleticism as an orthodox winger?

When Whittaker was purchased from Hibernian he was like a diet-Alan Hutton. Playing right back (or right midfield) for the Leith side he was (and is) a reasonably tall full back, a natural athlete who likes to break forward and beat an opponent with a change of pace. As a young full back, similar in age to Hutton, his defensive game was questioned and perhaps this was an acknowledgement of a lack of experience, with his positioning particularly questionable. Not a lot has changed in the years he has been at Rangers. He still displays the same attributes, but the same question marks over his defensive capabilities remain. These very arguments formed the case for the immediate return of Kirk Broadfoot.

He is not the first Rangers player to prove a conundrum, nor even is he alone in the current squad in this respect. His fellow goal-scorers in this weekend�s 3-0 victory over Hibs, Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd, can testify to this. Whilst his form has been inconsistent this season his stunning goals and foraging runs have been a feature of this season leaving us well placed in the hunt for the treble.

I too was an advocate of giving Whittaker a rest when Broadfoot was fit and able to replace him. Even in spite of the results we were achieving and a remarkable defensive record, which now reads just 15 goals conceded in 25 SPL fixtures, there appeared an apparent weakness on our right hand side. Yet on Sunday, Whittaker put in one of his most accomplished defensive displays at Rangers in addition to his ever-impressive offensive thrusts.

It provides another headache for Walter Smith who does not have his troubles to seek. However, this problem may prove somewhat more palatable to his manager. With Whittaker looking more accomplished in defence again, will we persist with the former-Hibs man knowing he offers more going forward than his competitor for the right back role, or do we allow Broadfoot to play his way back into match fitness?

A further option open to the manager is to deploy Whittaker in front of Broadfoot, allowing for greater defensive solidity and utilising one of our most potent offensive options further up the field. Perhaps the role Whittaker was initially bought for, with Alan Hutton protecting our right flank behind him. The added bonus of this selection would be the option of moving Steve Davis into the engine room where the POTY candidate has delivered his most accomplished displays this season. The only question to be answered is whether or not Whittaker�s defensive runs would be as penetrating starting from further up the field or does starting these runs from further back allow him to build up a head of steam to drive into the heart of the opposition�s territory?

Whilst I can empathise with the frustrations of the support over Whittaker�s performances this season, particularly around the turn of the year, it is undeniable that he has made many significant and important contributions this year. Once again he could almost have his own dedicated season highlight DVD, never mind featuring strongly on the club�s annual review.

The manager does not have the deepest squad to pick from but at right back we have obvious and distinct options. It is preferable that the manager picks the right man for the right games and does not merely pick one man as his first choice. Broadfoot may be the preferred option when we need to tighten up at the back and prevent the opposition from creating chances whilst Steven Whittaker should be the pick when we are seeking to utilise width and pace to expose the weaknesses of the opposition.

Whittaker may not quite be in the running for the POTY awards, but he will most likely be in contention when we discuss the in house goal of the season award and in spite of some disappointing performances this year, at least from a defensive point of view, his sterling contribution to the chase for yet more silverware to add to the overflowing Ibrox trophy room should not be forgotten nor underestimated.

:)

"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"

Recently made into a film starring Brad Pitt. Well worth a read and a watch.

:)

Are you advocating that people take time away from the Gersnet to read books Frankie. Wash your mouth out with soap. People should be writing more articles for the Gersnet;)

All the coaches at Ibrox have individual responsibility for coaching certain players and Ally has whittaker , he told a mate who plays with him for the old crocks , that he has all the ability in the world but struggles with concentration .

However he is certainly in much better form than he was around October time , that game against Stuttgart still gives me nightmares

By Matthew Lindsay

Ally Dawson is hoping to be inducted into the Rangers Hall of Fame at a star-studded bash in a Glasgow city centre hotel on Sunday.

The former Gers skipper of the 1970s and 1980s faces an anxious wait to discover if his name is to be included alongside some of the most famous in the Ibrox club’s history.

But Dawson is totally confident of one thing – that one of his successors in the right-back berth is poised to establish himself as a Rangers great in the future.

The former Light Blues hero has been astonished with Steven Whittaker’s scoring exploits from his former position in recent weeks.

Whittaker took his tally for the season into double figures – an amazing return for a defender – with the latest in a succession of picturebook goals in the 3-0 win over his former club Hibs on Sunday.

He is the third-top scorer at Rangers behind only Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller, who helped themselves to their 21st and 15th of the campaign respectively at the weekend.

And Dawson reckons if utility man Whittaker can improve his defending in the future he will enjoy a stellar career with both his club and his country.

“I don’t think I managed to score 10 goals in my entire career at right-back never mind in one season,” quipped the former Scotland player.

“Steven is doing really, really well at the moment and I am delighted for him.

“He is getting forward from deeper areas and that is allowing him to create chances and to take them.

“As a forward player attacking you come up against defensive players. However, as a defensive player you tend to encounter offensive players.

“Steven has a lot of strengths. He is very good on both feet. He can cut inside a man or go outside him. He is a very strong, upright runner as well. He reminds me a lot of Alan Hutton in that respect.

“Hutton tended to make strong runs down the outside and make good crosses into the opposition box and Steven tends to go inside more, but there are definite similarities there.”

He added: “When that good crop of young players were coming through at Hibs, Scott Brown and Kevin Thomson were attracting a lot of attention but Steven was the guy I always thought would do the best.

“Yes, he has gone through difficult spells at Rangers where he has struggled for form, but I think that is perhaps as a result of his versatility.

“But one thing you can say about him, even when things are not going well, is that he always makes himself available for the ball. He doesn’t run and hide.

“He is playing well and scoring goals now because he has been given an extended run and I think he will continue to be picked in different positions.

“He must be a manager’s dream to work with.”

Dawson, now working as an events co-ordinator for football-based charity Street League, spent a spell in the dugout in charge of Hamilton and reckons Whittaker can still improve aspects of his game.

But the two-times Scottish Cup winner and four-times League Cup winner believes that, by doing so, he will become sought-after by top English clubs – just like Hutton before him.

“I think when Alan first went down to Spurs he was told he needed to improve upon the defensive aspects of his play and Steven does have work to do there,” he reflected.

“But he is playing in a team which is going forward a great deal and it is beneficial for them to have a player who thrives in an attacking sense.

“There are certain times he will need to defend, but he should play to his strengths.

“I think the main reason he is doing well at the moment is that he has added consistency to his game.

“As I said, he gets moved from position to position and doesn’t really complain about it. But that can be difficult.”

Meanwhile, Dawson admits he would be deeply honoured to be inducted into the Rangers Hall of Fame this weekend.

He said: “There are a few guys from my era who are in with a chance of getting in and it won’t be easy.

“But, whoever gets in, it should be a tremendous night and it will be nice to catch up with my old team-mates.”

I'd say so mate.

For me, he'd be in the team most of the time. Specifically at home and against teams where we are faced with 10 men behind the ball at all times. We need something unique in these situations to force a breakthrough. The Hutton Factor.

For tough away SPL and most European fixtures a defensive minded right back would be preferable to me.

As well written as that article is, it's a symptom of football - it's a bit fickle.

A week or so ago there wouldn't have been anything like this praise - but after one admittedly excellent display hopes are high for him again.