Terracing Theatre - Whatever happened to it?

Talking to a few mates yesterday about things you saw on the old terraces, that appear NOT to occur these days because of the constraints of all seated grounds. Firstly, I am not advocating a return to those days, too many tragedies.

St Mirren away in the league 26 years ago at Love Street. McCoist scored in the first half and we put away the tools. St Mirren slowly but surely took control and equalised, followed by a second that would prove to be the winner. The piece of theatre happened at this point, Ted McMinn was waiting on the touchline and the PA announcer boomed, "Rangers substitution is Kevin McMinn for Cammy Fraser".

We were standing in the old large terrace behind the goals, just in front of one of the floodlight pylons. The PA speaker was situated 30 feet above on said pylon. A clearly angry and well refreshed Bear took exception to the PA's bellowing of the word, 'Kevin'. He gesticulated towards the speaker and shouted, "his name's TEDDDDDDDD".

The PA boomed again, "my apologies, Rangers substitution was Kevin McMinn for Stuart Munro". Refreshed Bear lost it totally, began climbing the pylon, snaked his way around the three strands of barbed wire about 20 feet above, got level with the offending speaker and shouted, "his name's TEDDDDDDDD" and kicked the ensemble off the pylon. He was applauded and cheered to the echo by an appreciative audience below.

The Polis were waiting for him to come back down and took him into custody. The guy deserved an Equity Card for improv'.

Feel free to add your own bon mots and I might relate the tale of the Bear climbing the old Broomfield Pavillion to unwrap a tangled Union Flag on the flag pole.

We need more theatre, particularly when we are being gubbed.

Perhaps not in the same vein, but I remember after a midweek game at Motherwell, some of the guys in my club decided to go back to the supporters club next the stadium for a drink.

That pissed off the rest of us as we wanted to get home so we went back to the bus and phoned them to say that we would be round to pick them up, but telling the bus driver to head back to Glasgow. There were numerous calls telling them that the traffic leaving the stadium was still bad and we were stuck in it but we were close to getting them, as we were half way along the M8 heading back to Ibrox with them still in Motherwell.

:spl:

Perhaps not in the same vein, but I remember after a midweek game at Motherwell, some of the guys in my club decided to go back to the supporters club next the stadium for a drink.

That pissed off the rest of us as we wanted to get home so we went back to the bus and phoned them to say that we would be round to pick them up, but telling the bus driver to head back to Glasgow. There were numerous calls telling them that the traffic leaving the stadium was still bad and we were stuck in it but we were close to getting them, as we were half way along the M8 heading back to Ibrox with them still in Motherwell.

:spl:

Here's my warmest supporters' bus tale.

It's 1976, we have a Saturday mid season friendly against Aston Villa in Birmingham. We cannot get access to the Uni Union mini bus(fcuking golfers) and there's a suggestion that the Bristol Bar RSC(Duke Street) is doing an extra bus for non-members. A coach and a double-decker leave Duke Street after closing time on Friday night. In those days it was a two and half hour trip down the A74 to reach the M6 at Carlisle. Needless to say, both buses are groaning with massive cargoes.

We are on the coach, the toilet arrangements were two five gallon drums on the back bench seat, one had a sizeable funnel to designate only for urination. At 3am, a mate made his way to the back of a largely sleeping bus, he was back inside of 10 seconds demanding the driver pull over to the hard shoulder. There was considerable urgency in this request. The driver indicated the arrangements provided at the back of the bus, Peter screamed, "someone's crapped in the funnel".

Great stories! :D

My favorite supporters bus tale was of a mate who followed followed Rangers to Czechoslovakia in the 90s by coach. Packs and packs of beer were bought for the trip with the intention to re-stock cheaply in France after the ferry.

Stopping at one of the larger such suppliers my mate decided to avoid the inevitable toilet queues by slipping round the back of said supermarket only to be met by dodgy lorry driver empting his load and offering an even cheaper deal on some French stubbies. My mate ran into shop, cancelled the existing order and the lads made their way round the back to purchase a couple of pallets of beer to much back-slapping of my mate.

Journey was resumed and the beer eagery tucked into by the thirsty travellers. Unfortunately, after about 50 miles the lads were nothing little change in mood. No tiredness or emotion was forthcoming - other than puzzlement given the amount of alcohol being imbibed. Eventually one of the few females present (still enjoying her red wine) offered to to translate the bottles to which it was found the alcohol content of the very cheap beer was 0.2%.

What a deal!