David Weir 'Its the Best Club in the World'

Walter Smith will sit down with David Weir at the end of the season to discuss extending the veteran defender�s love affair with Rangers.

And the Gers skipper has not ruled out staying on for another campaign as he continues to defy the sands of time.

Weir, who turns 40 in May, has been named Clydesdale Bank Premier League player of the month for February thanks to his solid displays at the back as Rangers continue their quest for the Treble.

The centre-half was only expected to be at the club for a few months when he signed in January, 2007, but has proved to be the ââ?¬Å?perfect professionalââ?¬Â in Smithââ?¬â?¢s eyes.

ââ?¬Å?As we have done for the last three years, we will speak at the end of the season,ââ?¬Â said the Rangers boss.

ââ?¬Å?Thatââ?¬â?¢s the agreement that we have and thatââ?¬â?¢s what we will do again.

ââ?¬Å?He has not only exceeded expectations, he has exceeded the length of time that he would be here.

ââ?¬Å?I hoped he would come in for the remaining period of the first season for four or five months and, at a stretch, the following season. The two years extra he has had have been terrific.

ââ?¬Å?Whatever awards he receives, he deserves. His form has been terrific for Rangers this season.

ââ?¬Å?He brings a great deal to our club and is well-respected by everyone for his attitude and manner.

ââ?¬Å?He is as close to a perfect professional as you will get. I know from my spell at Everton and with the national team that he is respected in every team that he plays.ââ?¬Â

Weir will stick to the script that has served him well, evaluating things at the end of the season before making a decision.

He said: ââ?¬Å?I have genuinely not thought about staying on for another season. Since I have been here I have played until the end of the season and then looked to see what options I have ââ?¬â?? if any ââ?¬â?? and take it from there.

ââ?¬Å?This season will be the same. Hopefully there will be a successful outcome and then weââ?¬â?¢ll take it from there.

ââ?¬Å?Itââ?¬â?¢s going to be over for me at some point, but my priority is to be successful, this week and next week and the end of the season will take care of itself.

ââ?¬Å?I have enjoyed every minute of being here. As far as Iââ?¬â?¢m concerned itââ?¬â?¢s the best club in the world.ââ?¬Â

Weir, meantime, insists there is no chance of Rangers underestimating Kilmarnock tonight ââ?¬â?? having watched Celtic suffer defeat in their last visit to Rugby Park.

The Hoops had been on a high following the high-profile capture of Robbie Keane, but their bubble was burst just 24 hours later when they returned to the east end of Glasgow empty-handed.

Rangers make the trip to Ayrshire hoping to increase their 10-point lead at the top of the table. But Weir believes that advantage will count for nothing if they are not on top form against Jimmy Calderwood�s men.

ââ?¬Å?All the games in the SPL are tough, but the away games are particularly hard,ââ?¬Â said the Ibrox skipper.

ââ?¬Å?We know Kilmarnock always give us a game. Celtic went there recently and it was tough. We know it will be the same for us. We have to get ourselves right and be up for it or we wonââ?¬â?¢t win.ââ?¬Â

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/david-weir-s-fine-romance-is-an-affair-to-remember-for-walter-smith-1.1012187

Walter Smith will sit down with David Weir at the end of the season to discuss extending the veteran defender�s love affair with Rangers.

And the Gers skipper has not ruled out staying on for another campaign as he continues to defy the sands of time.

Weir, who turns 40 in May, has been named Clydesdale Bank Premier League player of the month for February thanks to his solid displays at the back as Rangers continue their quest for the Treble.

The centre-half was only expected to be at the club for a few months when he signed in January, 2007, but has proved to be the ââ?¬Å?perfect professionalââ?¬Â in Smithââ?¬â?¢s eyes.

ââ?¬Å?As we have done for the last three years, we will speak at the end of the season,ââ?¬Â said the Rangers boss.

ââ?¬Å?Thatââ?¬â?¢s the agreement that we have and thatââ?¬â?¢s what we will do again.

ââ?¬Å?He has not only exceeded expectations, he has exceeded the length of time that he would be here.

ââ?¬Å?I hoped he would come in for the remaining period of the first season for four or five months and, at a stretch, the following season. The two years extra he has had have been terrific.

ââ?¬Å?Whatever awards he receives, he deserves. His form has been terrific for Rangers this season.

ââ?¬Å?He brings a great deal to our club and is well-respected by everyone for his attitude and manner.

ââ?¬Å?He is as close to a perfect professional as you will get. I know from my spell at Everton and with the national team that he is respected in every team that he plays.ââ?¬Â

Weir will stick to the script that has served him well, evaluating things at the end of the season before making a decision.

He said: ââ?¬Å?I have genuinely not thought about staying on for another season. Since I have been here I have played until the end of the season and then looked to see what options I have ââ?¬â?? if any ââ?¬â?? and take it from there.

ââ?¬Å?This season will be the same. Hopefully there will be a successful outcome and then weââ?¬â?¢ll take it from there.

ââ?¬Å?Itââ?¬â?¢s going to be over for me at some point, but my priority is to be successful, this week and next week and the end of the season will take care of itself.

ââ?¬Å?I have enjoyed every minute of being here. As far as Iââ?¬â?¢m concerned itââ?¬â?¢s the best club in the world.ââ?¬Â

Weir, meantime, insists there is no chance of Rangers underestimating Kilmarnock tonight ââ?¬â?? having watched Celtic suffer defeat in their last visit to Rugby Park.

The Hoops had been on a high following the high-profile capture of Robbie Keane, but their bubble was burst just 24 hours later when they returned to the east end of Glasgow empty-handed.

Rangers make the trip to Ayrshire hoping to increase their 10-point lead at the top of the table. But Weir believes that advantage will count for nothing if they are not on top form against Jimmy Calderwood�s men.

ââ?¬Å?All the games in the SPL are tough, but the away games are particularly hard,ââ?¬Â said the Ibrox skipper.

ââ?¬Å?We know Kilmarnock always give us a game. Celtic went there recently and it was tough. We know it will be the same for us. We have to get ourselves right and be up for it or we wonââ?¬â?¢t win.ââ?¬Â

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/david-weir-s-fine-romance-is-an-affair-to-remember-for-walter-smith-1.1012187

We all know that Davie :) :spl: