It may just be me, but if we are applying "the letter of the law" argument to justify the red card, did no-one else notice that it was the st midden player who was the first to have his arm outstretched? i think he touched (ooh err) wilson before wilson pulled him; would need to see it again.

Letter of the law arguments are poor - if the letter of the law was applied for 90 minutes, play would be stopped every 10 seconds and it would end up as 5-a-side.

It's the spirit of the law that counts, which is related to the spirit of the game.

I don't think either was a sending off. Both should have been yellows. St Mirren showed throughout the game that they were unlikely to score from that angle, at that distance against Alexander, with the addition of Weir coming in from the side and Naismith snapping at the heels.

It's supposed to be a "clear" goal scoring opportunity.

The Thomson tackle was a bit reckless but hardly dangerous and I've seen a lot worse go unpunished. These days you'd expect a yellow.

If we're going to go for the "letter of the law" then it needs to be applied consistently - eg the two fouls before Thomson's red and a less severe punishment needs to be introduced - like sin binning.

In the end I think the refs can now relax about the conspiracy pressure as it's shown to be unfounded and can get back to refereeing poorly but randomly poorly. In the mean time we've still won the cup and no damage done. Celtic must be raging...

I feel the total opposite to what Walter said in his post-match interview. I think Wilson's was a booking at most whereas Thomson's was a definate red. I'd have been seething if an opposition player had only been booked for a challenge like Thomson's. The Wilson one was staggering though. Craig Thomson was clearly trying to make a name for himself.

If the referee had made the correct decision at the other end of the pitch we would have had a free kick and Thomson would not have been making that tackle.

What we witnessed was Walter playing the long game and not deflecting from the fact that a 9 man team won a cup final , if he had went down the celtic route and slaughtered the ref the headlines would all have been about the ref and not the team , another brilliant display by Sir Walter

Yeah, we've been clever by accepting the decisions and not moaning... Anything else would have got the refs back up further while this strategy may soften the stance they'd be looking to take after the exaggerated scrutiny of late.

Yes, it's the ultimate kick in the nadgers for Liewell, gibbon fizzer and every whining bheast who have been on about the establishment. Very smart. There's definitely been a more active response from Rangers since Murray decamped to Edinburgh. Walter in particular has been playing a blinder.