Squad size for next year , scary stuff

We are probably looking at losing Bougherra , MacGregor and probably Wilson from that squad

I'd be very surprised indeed if we sell both Bougherra and Wilson unless the bids for the players are extremely high in SPL player value terms. There's rumours of top EPL clubs looking at buying Wilson for some serious cash and if something like the �£8m rumour were true, it would be accepted pending Wilson's agreement on a move, no doubt. I'd certainly be very surprised and disappointed if the club was willing to sell Wilson for less than 4 or 5 million and the same goes for Bougherra.

Guest Flying Hippo

The �£8 million rumours are beyond ridiculous given that Wilson only has 12 months left on his contract. We'd accept �£2.5 million without question

The �£8 million rumours are beyond ridiculous given that Wilson only has 12 months left on his contract. We'd accept �£2.5 million without question

Have to disagree. If spurs paid �£9m for Hutton, Wilson is easily worth �£8m. Only 18, with 24 games under his belt this season for the SPL champs plus some CL experience? The lad is a diamond. I'll feel physically sick if he's sold for �£2.5m.

Guest Flying Hippo

Hutton had signed a 5 year contract just 6 months earlier. Wilson has 12 months left on his contract. Why would they pay �£8 million for a player they could sign for free a year later? Also the idea of Wilson being worth �£8 million right now, regardless of the length of his contract, is madness.

Hutton had signed a 5 year contract just 6 months earlier. Wilson has 12 months left on his contract. Why would they pay �£8 million for a player they could sign for free a year later? Also the idea of Wilson being worth �£8 million right now, regardless of the length of his contract, is madness.

80 million for Ronaldo was madness but as the saying goes "the price is what a fool is willing to pay."

EPL prices he would be worth �£25m, De jong went to Man City with about 12 months or 6 months left on his contract for �£17m.

Guest Flying Hippo

I can't believe this is even up for debate lol. No one is going to bid �£8 million for an 18 year old from the SPL who has 12 months left on his contract, regardless of how inflated the market is.

We'd be doing well to get 5M for Wilson, but I'd hope that we can get him to sign a new contract on the basis that he's nothing to lose by doing so and could give us a stronger hand when selling him, or that someone who buys him is happy to loan him back to us for a season or two.

Wilson is too young to go for free when out of contract, there will be a fee next year but it's up to a tribunal to decide what it is.

I'm not sure why the bank are continuing to squeeze the finances as it will affect the ability of the club to compete and create income.

Perhaps it's the threat of possibly no regular CL football, if any at all for a long time; therefore, we have to downsize to break even without this income stream.

Our squad is already too small; cutting it back more will just make it impossible for us to operate, which seems totally counter productive.

For that reason I can't see it shrinking any further - however, I can see players being replaced with others on lower wages, taken from other SPL clubs. The caveat for that is that if the income for clubs in the Championship and Div One continue to grow, and ours continues to dwindle, we'll have pretty slim pickings even in Scotland.

The differential between us and the rest of the SPL will shrink, meaning while we still have one of the two best teams, winning most of our games will be a lot harder and a top two spot will be something to struggle for every week.

We'll have a competitive league again, but as forums have shown, two thirds of Scottish fans find this idea abhorrent.

The quality of football will also be severely reduced and the ability to compete in Europe almost negligible. Our best players will be plying their trade in the English divisions and the Scotland team will suffer badly. We could be fast turning into another Ireland or Wales - although the likes of Cardiff could become a far bigger club than us due to the English coin.

Something really has to be done - and for us the start has to be solidification of all offers on the club. If nothing else the club needs stabilised with much lower debt and the ability to at least spend to the full extent of our income. The brinkmanship needs to end.

Edited by calscot